• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hello from Pacific North West (CJ5K)

CJ5K

Private
Minuteman
Hi Everyone,

My name is Chris and I'm over in the Puget Sound area of Washington State. I'm 23 and most of my shooting experience is with handguns and shotguns, but now I'm hoping to expand my skills to long range rifle shooting. I have a Savage 30-06 that's been sitting in my gun-safe ever since I decided I wanted to try deer hunting, and I'm in the process of putting a bi pod and better scope on there.

I don't have any experience with long range shooting - the farthest I've shot is 100 - 120 yards with my AR and AK at 3 gun matches. Mainly just because I've never known where to go to shoot more than 200 yards. Now though, I have a couple buddies that know where I can go to shoot out to 1000 yards, and one of the guys at the fire station where I volunteer is just about as much of a gun nut as I am, and he said he can definitely help me get to hitting targets at 1000 yards. My goals are to be able to hit milk jug sized targets at 300 yards with my AR, and at least 600 yards with my bolt-gun, but I'm going to try for 1000 yards. When I'm not working or on shift at the station, and if I actually have enough ammo, I compete in USPSA/IPSIC, Falling Plate matches, and 3 gun. I've shot one IDPA match, and will probably shoot more as time and ammo allow, and I'm going to start shooting my 30-06 in "long range" rifle competitions. This summer, I'll be shooting in the MGM Iron Man 3 gun match, so I'm looking forward to that, and I hope to get my skills up enough that I won't max out the timer on every stage.

When I'm not at the range, I enjoy kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, surfing, jujitsu, and cross fit. I did a half iron man triathlon last summer, promptly decided that a 75+ mile bike ride is WAY to long to be considered a race, and retired from triathlons. I'm working on becoming a firefighter/paramedic, and am a resident with a fantastic fire department, but that doesn't pay the bills (or more importantly put ammo in the magazines) so I do construction on my days off.

Stay frosty,
Chris "CJ5k"