Help choosing: DTA HTI or TRG42 and M95?

Strykervet

ain'T goT no how whaTchamacalliT
Minuteman
  • Jun 5, 2011
    Pierce County, WA
    Gotta make a choice. Real soon. Either a .338 Lapua, probably a TRG42 (if I can't custom build one from a Badger Ordnance receiver, a fine barrel like a Hart or some such, and AI AX stock) and later on, possibly a Barrett M95. I'd use USO optics for both, 3.2-17 for the .338, 5-25 for the .50.

Other option is to get the DTA HTI in .375CT and .50BMG and the one 5-25x USO scope. Seems to me the .375 is better than .338, and I get the .50 in the same package for when I want it. I'd use the .375 more, and from what I can tell, it is a pretty nice cartridge.

DTA also takes 50% down and 50% on finish, and offers veteran discounts, so I wouldn't be hit all at once with the cost, and it won't be ready until November anyway. And though it is costly, it is a hell of a lot less than a TRG42 AND a used M95, once you figure in the optics and the fact they'll use different cans --expensive ones at that.

I'll be using this extended range rifle mostly out in the sticks --clear cuts, deserts, mostly open federal land where I have no to minimal limitations. I'll fire it mostly suppressed, would like a .50 can in titanium that can handle the .375 too, but not deadest on titanium --just on accuracy and repeatability. Suggestions on .50BMG suppressors greatly appreciated, I only know of AAC (not a fan of their mounts though). Though I won't be dragging it around much, my back is damaged, so weight is an issue. The HTI looked to be okay regarding weight, considering the calibers, and the TRG42 is damn light considering the caliber and barrel length.

For those of you that have shot the DTA HTI or own one and have shot or own others to compare it to, what do you think of it? Would you recommend me going with the one chassis, two barrels option, or the two distinct rifles? It'll mostly be in .375 the bulk of time anyway. Is the HTI in .375 accurate enough to make it a suitable contender with .338 rifles like the SAKO, AI, McMillan and such? I've heard of the TRG42 being .5MOA on average and .25 with a good stick and the perfect mix. As for the .50, I don't expect a whole lot from it, .5-1MOA with fine tuned ammo on a perfect day would make me happy out of a BMG bolt gun that I can afford.

So what say you? Any reason I should shy away from the HTI? I should also mention I'm a trigger snob, I have Geissele's in most of my AR's, so if the HTI's trigger has been negatively impacted by the bullpup design (a lot of bullpup triggers are) that might be a deal breaker for me. I'm mostly interested in whether or not you "in the know" think the DTA HTI would be a good fit, for me, considering it will be my only real serious extended long range rifle good for a mile plus. I'm less interested in other rifles you'd get and why, since my decision would largely be influenced by the financial burden of such an expensive tool --the HTI is only being considered because I have until November to pay off just the chassis, leaving plenty of time to save up for a barrel, a scope and a nice bipod and bag (but not much else!). Maybe get the papers started on the can or some dies and components.

Thanks for reading, thanks for the input and recommendations.

Last edited:
    The HTI is everything you seem to be looking for, though it sounds like you need to do a little more studying before you commit to anything. DTA recently shot the HTI .375 beyond 3000yds with sub Moa results if I recall, so it certainly is accurate enough. Read up some more, and talk to those who own one, maybe you can get your hands on one before hand.

I should also mention I'm a trigger snob, I have Geissele's in most of my AR's, so if the HTI's trigger has been negatively impacted by the bullpup design (a lot of bullpup triggers are) that might be a deal breaker for me.

You don't have to worry about the trigger on the DTA rifles. It's by far the nicest trigger I've come across on a bullpup; and I've shot a lot of them! The only hangup for some people is that it's not a 2-stage trigger. It is, however, very adjustable for pull length, weight and creep.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, if I could get my hands on one to try out first I certainly would. The only .338's apparently worth stocking seem to be the Savage and the Remington models, a few have deemed the Armalite worthy. I haven't seen an HTI in person ever, or any DTA to be honest. So I kind of started this to feel out others.

A single stage with adjustment that feels smooth and crisp is sufficient. For a $4000 built chassis, I do expect a fine trigger. And if it becomes popular, I imagine aftermarkets may start showing up? Particularly if the smaller chassis uses the same trigger? But I'll be satisfied provided it is in fact a quality trigger pull.

Sub-MOA with the .375 around 3000y means sub 30" groups... I can live with that. I read the .408 CT Intervention is the one that holds the record for tightest group at longest range. But I think the .375 will shoot 350gr. SMK's (?) so you don't have to always load it with special golden alloy bullets mined by dwarves deep in Icelandic caves like you do with the .408 CT.

I agree, there aren't many, if any, rifles that will do what the HTI will do. The flexibility and size along with the weight are about as good as it gets. I won't be humping it far, but I may have to carry my shit into a good spot, and with a bad back, every ounce counts now just like it used to. And with a suppressor attached, the shorter length will be appreciated for sure.

But I think the .375 will shoot 350gr. SMK's (?) so you don't have to always load it with special golden alloy bullets mined by dwarves deep in Icelandic caves like you do with the .408 CT.

Yeah, you can shoot jacketed bullets through the .375, but you should avoid mixing between high performance solids and jacketed bullets without a serious cleaning of the bore. Jacketed bullets will shoot all day but they don't beat the ELR performance of the solids, which generally are more finicky about what material is fouling the bore.

Thanks for the heads up about the bullets.

So I "pulled the trigger" today on the HTI. I made the down payment for the chassis anyway. Was told they won't have a suppressor out for it for another year, year and a half. Can't wait that long. So the threads on the brake in all calibers, what they intend on mounting their suppressor to, are 1-7/16x18. Threading on the barrel is M25 for .50, M22 for .375.

What are you guys suppressing these with, how did you do it? One that works for both calibers (preferably)? Who makes good .50BMG suppressors? Thanks!

I have a Barrett Model 99 in .416 with a Nightforce NXS 12-42x56. I love it. But, if I could do it again, I think I'd go with a .375 Chey Tac. But I still love the Barrett.

Choices choices. One great thing about the DTA is you can use one scope for multiple calibers.

Whatever you get, share with us.