• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help dialing in my 308

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I have a Remington 308 vls that shoots great for a factory gun. I want to step it on out to 400-700yds jsut to see what it'll do. I don't have a chrono so I can't tell bullet speed. I will give you all my data and I know a bunch of yall shoot 308 enough to get me close on how many minutes I need to dial in.
26" barrel
Winchester case
CCI LR primers
45 gr. of Varget
168 gr. SMK
O.A.L is 2.818 I believe..don't have book here with me.
Scope is a Leupold Vari-x III 8-25x50 if that makes any difference.
If you guys could tell me how many moa to get form 100 to 400,500,&600 I would really appreciate it or if you could give me the velocity of the bullet(close as you can estimate) I'm sure I can find dope info somewhere. Thanks..Trent

Re: Help dialing in my 308

Assuming that your barrel length is 24 inches or 26 inches, you won't be far off the target is you use the following dope:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
yards MOA
200 2
300 5
400 8
500 12
600 16
</pre></div></div>

+1. That should be fairly close depending on your MV. 700 yards (as far as you said you'd be shooting) will be around 21 MOA.

45gr of Varget out of a 26" barrel should be 2700fps or so. You really should look into a chronograph if you are getting into shooting at longer ranges. It isn't necessary, but it does help remove some of the guess work.

When I got back into centerfire rifle shooting a couple years back I didn't have a chronograph either but instead used a free downloaded ballistic calculator to generate a crude drop table. I sighted in at 100 yds, shot a three shot group at 300 yds and measured the drop at 300. Taking that dimension I plugged in the known BC of the bullet and changed the MV on the calculator until I got the drop at 300 that I measured at the range. The drops at all the other ranges were then calculated on the chart. Seemed to work real well. It turned out to be within a few tenths of MOA from data generated with real chrony MV's.