• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help figuring out 223 to 300 BLK conversion

cmoore806

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2020
Northern Ohio
My goal is to setup to convert 223/556 brass to 300 BLK.

Problems:
1. Cases getting stuck in size/trim die
2. opening for chip removal seems pretty narrow (about 1/4" tall, no problems clogging yet) (so far not really a problem but just looks like it might be a sign of something else (like maybe the die is the wrong die??)
3. Case wall thickness is too thick at case neck (I will likely just trim with case neck trimmer)

I have the following setup:
Dillon 650 with 1500 trimmer and carbide 300blk die
Dillon case lube

So far I will get the press and trimmer height just right and begin running lubed cases up into the trim die one at a time (not wanting to use the case feeder yet until I get everything sorted out. After doing 10 or so cases it has been getting case stuck which means I have to remove everything and remove stuck case and then setup everything all over again.

Potential causes:

Lube problem??--my Dillon case lube is about 3 years old. I spray it on liberally, roll cases around in a tray, then let them dry for a couple minutes before running cases.

anything else??

I contacted Dillon support on their online chat and was told to call their support line. When I did I was #12 in line and not wanting to wait around I am posting here to see if anyone has recommendations or similar experiences and advise to offer?

Interested in this one.

Is this trimmed prior to sizing or after?

I had problems with spray lubes and went to wax / grafite for single stage.

Fixing to fire up dillon with new 223 dies and will have to work on lube technology.

this trims the brass inside the sizing die (one single step). I figure it is 100% a lube problem but have little experience with this project and want to make sure I'm not screwing up someplace else.

The few things I have had problems with spray on lube that I have done wrong are.

Not let it flash off (dry) long enough.

Use old stuff that didnt seem to mix evenly.

Put on too much.

Put on too little.

And for some people they have zero problems.

I have managed to get my wax and grafite to a good rhythm but still slow for bulk purposes.

We will be testing application process soon for the 223 dillon brass.

One thing that has helped with range brass is seperate deprime and tumble with car wax before sizing and getting dies dirty.

One thing that has helped with range brass is seperate deprime and tumble with car wax before sizing and getting dies dirty.

Brass is deprimed and cleaned prior to me size/trim to 300 BLK...but you're on the right track with the suggestion. I just got it all set back up and by now the case Lube had time for the alcohol to evaporate and the cases are more greasy and I was able to do about 100 cases without issues.

I found that going slower and using more lube helped a lot

Now the problem to solve is the case wall thickness. I've placed a brownells order for some case neck trimming parts for my case trimmer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snuby642
On the neck thickness.

I have recived 4 sizing buttons in 2 different calibers that were oversized and had to be sanded down to function and get neck tension I wanted.

They would actually stick and jam when on the upstroke.

Just a note, some 223 is sufficient thick that it doesn't convert well without neck trimming. Know what your have...

For me, it was a simple process. Chop saw to get the brass in the ball park. Sizing with rcbs dies. Trim to final length on Hornady brass station.

I make my own case lube, alcohol and lanolin. One thing I learned was that the lanolin can separate out of the alcohol and clog the pickup tube. You get a lot of alcohol with not enough lanolin until.you clean the tube. I was sticking sized 5.56 cases in a Dillon trim die. The other is to shake case lube well before use.