Rifle Scopes Help ID Leupold scope...This is NOT a MK4 correct?

eboggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2009
Ohio, USA
I picked this up recently for a MK12 build....Im not extremely well versed on scopes, so while this may not be the most "correct" scope for my build, it certainly fits the 'profile' of the correct MK4 scopes, minus illumination.

I also picked this up from someone who didn't know much about scopes so, I kind of took a gamble, and I don't think I did too bad considering it also came with what look to be Badger Rings (serialized as well).

Reticle is a Mil-Dot with hash marks in between dots.....3.5-10x40 and is marked "Leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x40mm Long Range...

I guess my silly questions are:

1. This is NOT a MARK 4 correct?
2. Did I do well at $500 with the rings included? :p

Leupold.jpg

Leupold 2.jpg

Leupold 3.jpg

Leupold 4.jpg

I picked this up recently for a MK12 build....Im not extremely well versed on scopes, so while this may not be the most "correct" scope for my build, it certainly fits the 'profile' of the correct MK4 scopes, minus illumination.

I also picked this up from someone who didn't know much about scopes so, I kind of took a gamble, and I don't think I did too bad considering it also came with what look to be Badger Rings (serialized as well).

Reticle is a Mil-Dot with hash marks in between dots.....3.5-10x40 and is marked "Leupold Vari-x III 3.5-10x40mm Long Range...

I guess my silly questions are:

1. This is NOT a MARK 4 correct?
2. Did I do well at $500 with the rings included? :p

View attachment 7132919
View attachment 7132920
View attachment 7132922

View attachment 7132924

I'm no expert by any means, but it looks like you have a Mark 4 LR/T 3.5-10x40 with M3 dials. 1 MOA elevation, 1/2 MOA windage.

Unless it's a fake (which used to happen with Leupolds a lot), I'd say you did pretty good for $500.

Call leupold with the SN and they’ll confirm the model and if it’s legit.

You did alright with the price as it looks like a Leupold MK4 M3 and that’s the price I’ve seen a lot of em go for.

1999 Leupold vari-× iii 3.5-10 x40 long range tactical, predates the mark 4 range by about 4 years, oval mildots I presume rather than round. M3 turret, one moa elevation, 1/2 moa windage.

Only question is did Leupild put Gen2 mildot reticles in or was this a premier reticle scope? If it's a PR unit you may have an issue getting it repaired if it ever needs it. I have a PR scope from 2000 and it's been rock solid on several platforms, to include a mk12 mod0.

That's a gen2. Regular mildot don't have half MIL hashmarks. Good score. You'd have to call Leupold to see if it's a premier reticle unit. I suspect it is, as it was proprietary back when these Vari-X IIIs rolled out. Only time it would matter is under warranty.

That's a gen2. Regular mildot don't have half MIL hashmarks. Good score. You'd have to call Leupold to see if it's a premier reticle unit. I suspect it is, as it was proprietary back when these Vari-X IIIs rolled out. Only time it would matter is under warranty.

I didn't even know there was a Premier Reticles version of this scope. If anything is, this is it though. It looks like the same Gen 2 mil dot as in the Premier 3-15x50.

Premier and Leupold were a great team back in the 90s and early 2000s. After Dick passed shit sharted going south. Leupold used to 100% honor all PR work. Then PR get in bed with S&B and it ended. When you bought a PR unit it has a gold label behind the elevation turret but it just peels off.

PR invented that reticle. Another option they offered was passive illumination on the heavy duplex. To see if you have it shine a flashlight into the ocular for about 20 second. Then look through it in a dark room with the objective covered. The heavy duplex will glow green like a lensatic compass.

Reactions: Nightforce123
Dont know if Leupold ever installes premiers gen2 mildot with hash
Jesus I'm blind, never noticed the half mil hashes on the reticle

FFP...and no green glow after hitting it with light!

So it sounds like the Premier reticle may not be so good if I need warranty work?

Pretty interesting history on this and I appreciate all you knowledgeable gentlemen....Sounds like I didn't do too bad after all. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sinister
It's a Premier-modified Leupold given the age of the scope since to the best of my knowledge only Premier installed the Premier Gen-2 reticles in the FFP in Leupold scopes at that time. If you call Leupold with the serial number chances are you'll probably only get as far as knowing what the original configuration of the scope was since most of the time customers sent scopes to PR for modification.

FFP...and no green glow after hitting it with light!

So it sounds like the Premier reticle may not be so good if I need warranty work?

Pretty interesting history on this and I appreciate all you knowledgeable gentlemen....Sounds like I didn't do too bad after all. ;)

For a regular Mk4 M1 or M3 I'd say it's worth $500. A FFP converted VariX 3 is pretty cool and worth more. There's no warranty and I'd be concerned about even getting the scope back if you sent it to Leupold. Maybe I'm mistaken but that scope was used on all kinds of military rifles early in the war on terror. I'm pretty sure I've seen them on M107s. There were a variety of scopes used on the MK12.

FFP Vari-x III? Didn't know such a thing existed. Leupold didnt make a FFP back then that I'm aware of. I also never heard about PR changing the lens package like that but maybe I missed it....