• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help ID this bird

FatBoy

After 20 years, going anonymous..
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2001
TN
Alright, totally not shooting related but I can’t figure this out. This bird landed on our neighbors fence this weekend and was watching my chickens. When if flew down to them, chickens gonna be chickens and attacked it but it got away. Didn’t fly great and let us get really close.

Thinking Columbo but I have no idea, and why would it be in TN and not Barbados?

Anyone seen one if these before?

IMG_6165.jpeg
IMG_6160.jpeg

It’s a pigeon or dove for sure, but it’s not a local species. It’s hard to tell but it’s 2-3 times bigger than a rock dove.

IMG_6166.jpeg

Alright, totally not shooting related but I can’t figure this out. This bird landed on our neighbors fence this weekend and was watching my chickens. When if flew down to them, chickens gonna be chickens and attacked it but it got away. Didn’t fly great and let us get really close.

Thinking Columbo but I have no idea, and why would it be in TN and not Barbados?

Anyone seen one if these before?
Whatever it is, it is not native.
Shoot the MF'r next time you see it.

Foreign animals or plants usually prove to be ultra invasive and a disaster for the various native species.
**(Come to think of it, the same thing usually applies to most illegal immigrants.)

It is a fantail Pidgeon. People raise them and keep them as pets. It is as likely to live in the wild as a chicken, which is to say, they don't and it won't survive. They are not good flyers. Easy meal for any predator. Must have come from a nearby property.

Pidgeon is pretty livery tasting, but not as much if you shoot them off an elevator or silo and they live on a steady diet of corn. I'd imagine that one raised on bird seed would be similar.

You and Rooster nailed it.

$80 pigeon. I should have caught it, stuck her in the roost and put her to work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Terry Cross
Whatever it is, it is not native.
Shoot the MF'r next time you see it.

Foreign animals or plants usually prove to be ultra invasive and a disaster for the various native species.
**(Come to think of it, the same thing usually applies to most illegal immigrants.)
In fairness though our eco system here used to have billions of passengers pigeons and Carolina parakeets. We might could use some birds to fill their niche.

Reactions: Terry Cross
Funny thing is, I could have caught it. It was struggling to get to the top of the fence when the chickens went after it, but Mrs. FatBoy would have shit.

A month or so back I found a young rock dove in the back yard. I walked right up and picked it up, then put it in a crate in the house. Fucker got out while I was at work and Mrs. FatBoy thought I was fucking with her. I told her to ask he dogs where the birdie is ( we have two mini-Aussies) and my tri-color walked right over to the curtain and showed her. It was on the floor behind the curtain. She was pissed that she had to catch this bird, but it flew away when she got it outside. Whatever had it grounded passed….

Catching birds.. all part of my long term drone plan.