• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me buy a spotter?

ashooter

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2003
Texas
There is a TON of info here on spotters, and I have sifted through a lot of it and not really found what I'm looking for. I figured somebody here will probably be able to point me the right direction... If there is such a creature, here's what I'd like:

- Price under $500 ($300 would be better)

- Zoom range as low as 15x, not higher than 45x

- <span style="font-weight: bold">mil based reticle</span> (this is where I'm hitting a dead end in my price range)

- decent enough glass to spot out to 1000 yds

- prefer something compact enough to pack around hunting, but size/weight secondary

Also, if anybody has any tips on a decent tripod for prone to sitting height, under $100, I'd really appreciate that info as well.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help me buy a spotter?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

There is a TON of info here on spotters, and I have sifted through a lot of it and not really found what I'm looking for. I figured somebody here will probably be able to point me the right direction... If there is such a creature, here's what I'd like:

- Price under $500 ($300 would be better)

- Zoom range as low as 15x, not higher than 45x

- <span style="font-weight: bold">mil based reticle</span> (this is where I'm hitting a dead end in my price range)

- decent enough glass to spot out to 1000 yds

- prefer something compact enough to pack around hunting, but size/weight secondary

Also, if anybody has any tips on a decent tripod for prone to sitting height, under $100, I'd really appreciate that info as well.

Thanks in advance! </div></div>

The first spotter that came to my mind was the Bushnell Excursion FLP. Unfortunately I believe Bushnell no longer manufactures that scope. I did a few searches and could only find this Barska 11-33x50mm. Everything else will be in the $1k+ range.

Chase B.

The Bushnell Excursion, as previously mentioned, is just about the only thing worth having in your price range. I checked almost a year ago and was not able to come up with one. I even talked to a rep from Bushnell, they are no longer making them. If I were you, I would honestly save up and buy a Leupold MK4 with a TMR reticle. I ended up with a MK4 w/ TMR and couldn't be happier with it. Worth every penny.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Bushnell Excursion, as previously mentioned, is just about the only thing worth having in your price range. I checked almost a year ago and was not able to come up with one. I even talked to a rep from Bushnell, they are no longer making them. If I were you, I would honestly save up and buy a Leupold MK4 with a TMR reticle. I ended up with a MK4 w/ TMR and couldn't be happier with it. Worth every penny. </div></div>

All of the above is sound advice. I'd try to first find a used (or NOS) Bushnell and in the meantime, be saving your pennies for something else like the Mk4 which is currently out of your price range. Finding the Bushnell is going to be a TALL order unless you just happen to get one through a WTB ad or something along those lines. When they do come up, they don't last long and you have to be on the trigger IMMEDIATELY to get one from the few I've seen sell.

All due respect to Chase and the fine folks at OpticsPlanet, I wouldn't P!$$ on the Barska if it was on fire. I have a shooting buddy that bought a Barska spotter not long ago against my advice and it was far from good glass, especially at the high end of the magnification range. Remember...you get what you pay for and that old saying is particularly true with optics. Expecting much out of a $150 spotter is nuts...especially given your 1k range and other requirements.

Thanks for the input, guys. Pretty much what I thought, but I was hoping there was a gem out there that I'd missed.

I'm not a hard core long-range guy, but do have access to a 1000 yd private range with 12x20 steel plates, so would like to be able to have somebody spot misses to adjust fire. Mils are not 100% required, but would make calling misses and adjusting a lot easier.

The little Vortex Recon looks nice, but 15x is pretty low powered for spotting out at distances where I'd need a spotter.

I guess I'll keep shopping around for a Bushnell Excursion.

Hi, I'm not sure if your willing to buy off of ebay. But I just checked and there are a few Bushnell Excursion FLP 15-45x60 Tactical Reticle.You may want to check them out. I did pick up a Bushnell Excursion FLP 20-60x80 off of there and have been very happy with them. Hope this may help.

I got mine in the mail on Friday. Had planned on shooting today and it rained. I did look through it in town when the fedex driver dropped it off and was pretty impressed. I noticed when I went to leave feedback that seller has one left but they upped the price about 100.00.

Was just discussing this very same topic on another forum. Here's the information that was provided (not by me). Thought it was good enough to share. Thanks Shep!!

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=1039

*click on the link "Scope Review Results Chart" under LEARN MORE*

Please keep in mind that the info is dated and prices as well as availability have probably changed. Good luck with the mildots part.