Help me choose my rifle

minnpatriot

Private
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2011
USA
Hello all

Well I originally was going to buy a stevens model 200 but after reading a fair amount of forums I decided to save my pennies and try for something a bit better. I now have $800 set aside for the rifle (yes I know I cant buy glass for that as well). I have narrowed my choice of rifle down to two options. Option one is a Remington Model 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD it has a threaded barrel and a 1 in 10 twist (308). Option two is a Savage 10 FP LE (308). I am leaning toward the Remington although many folks tell me the savage trigger is better. Now I ask what would be the better of the two guns for a beginner such as myself. I dont have unlimited amounts of cash for replacement stocks etc. Once I buy the gun and the glass I want to buy a muzzle break (remington aac-sd) and thats about it. I do not know the twist rate of the Savage but the remington's 1 in 10 is good for heavy bullets which I believe will have higher ballistic coefficient and according to my understanding that will relate in better accuracy at long range. The scope I plan on getting is a Bushnell Tactical Elite 3200 5-15x40mm Riflescope, I have a friend who manages a gunstore and will give the scope to me at cost. Let me know what you think, Thanks in advance.

Re: Help me choose my rifle

both of your rifle options are fine.

i'd strongly recommend shooting a savage with an accutrigger and a remington if you haven't already.

the savage has the advantage of a pillar bedded stock, but i'm not a fan of the accutrigger.

if you like/prefer the accutrigger then i'd suggest going with the savage.

off of remingtons website about the 700 sps aac sd

Key Features:
308 Win with 20” Heavy Barrel with 5/8-24 Threaded Muzzle
Shipped with Thread Protector Installed
Accepts AAC® and other 5/8-24 Threaded Flash Hiders, Muzzle Brake and Suppressors
1 in 10” Rate of Twist for increased bullet stability
Hogue® Overmolded Ghillie Green™ Pillar Bedded Stock
X-Mark Pro® Externally Adjustable Trigger Set at 3 ½ Pounds

seems its also pillar bedded, I made my choice its the remy will order it tomorrow if its in stock. Guess I did not need much help making the decision....lol

the Savage is 1 in 10 twist also, both of those "pilar bedded" stocks are plastic w/ plastic pilars, they will both need to be replaces, and the savage is also available thread. it doesn't matter why you like one over the other, just get the one you like and shoot it, after 5-6000 rounds, you'll know what you really want

Look at my sig. Don't downgrade the stevens on your list. Mine will easily hold its own with most builds costing 3 to 4x more.

PM me any questions you might have.

Good Luck,
Merritt