• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me choose the right Protektor rear bag

jlow

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 15, 2010
Looking for a rear bag for my AR-10. The gun has a Magpul CTR stock with a LaRue POD attached which means it has a short 1.75” section of Picatinny rail on its bottom.

Thinking of shooting F Class and need a rear bag, but must admit that I am a bit overwhelmed by the number of different models Protektor is offering. Would appreciate any constructive recommendations that includes reason as to which product would best fit my needs.

Thanks ahead for any help you can give.

Re: Help me choose the right Protektor rear bag

For F- Class this is a Protector DR. Bag with leather ears.
DroidPics033.jpg

Thanks! Much appreciate the info. Boy they have so many choices that it makes my head spin. That Dr. Bags I hear is 15 lbs in weight which must give you a very steady support. Is that the specific advantage? What is the best fill for them?

Damn, jlow...this is EXACTLY what I was needing to know for my own AR-10 and coincidentally, I have also been looking at the Protektor bags.

I'm needing one for my Magpul PRS and...I haven't the slightest clue of which one to purchase.
confused.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Damn, jlow...this is EXACTLY what I was needing to know for my own AR-10 and coincidentally, I have also been looking at the Protektor bags.

I'm needing one for my Magpul PRS and...I haven't the slightest clue of which one to purchase.
confused.gif
</div></div>

Looks like I am in good company and should not feel bad as to being confused - LOL! I think I am going to give the manufacturer a call on Monday and get some more info. Their website is not too informative, but hopefully their customer service is... Will report back.

Yes, this is good advice. I have measured the height the bottom of my POD sits when the rifle is level with the bipod deployed and I know the length and width of the rail attached to the POD, figure with this info, they should be able to point me to the right product.

Check Natchez Shooter Supplies. Good pricing on Protektor. Mine is all leather and has been completely soaked. After drying leather was as new and completely pliable. A good product. As a filler I use crushed rock for aquarium bottoms.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quarter Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check Natchez Shooter Supplies. Good pricing on Protektor. Mine is all leather and has been completely soaked. After drying leather was as new and completely pliable. A good product. As a filler I use crushed rock for aquarium bottoms. </div></div>

Thanks for the Natchez suggestion – will look into it.

I have a question regarding soaking the bag, was this intentional, and if so was that to make it more pliable? The reason I asked is because one concern I have about the bag is that I saw some at the NRA meeting and the bags at least at first blush seems a bit hard and I was wondering how well they work in terms of using a squeeze action to move the stock up and down.

The use of crushed rock is interesting, is that what they recommend?

Talked to Protektor today and their recommendation is indeed their Dr. Bags i.e. what Scottx88 recommended. I now understand the reason for this choice a little better which is this bag has three rows of stitching between the two ears that creates a ½” space between the ears. This provides a space which the 1.75” long, 0.75” wide picatinny rail on my LaRue Pod would sit in. My initial hesitation was because Scottx88 was using a bolt action rifle but it appears this also fits an AR-10 in my present configuration.

My only question now is should I get the leather or the Cordura ears? I am leaning towards the leather because I think the cordura is probably made for a smooth wooden/synthetic stock on a bolt action rifle and because the POD/picatinny rail is a bit rough, I think it might rip the cordura but the leather would stand up to the recoil abrasion better?

Thanks Scottx88! The lady at Protektor mentioned that if the leather was not slippery enough, a little baby powder will do the trick!
laugh.gif
Looks like I found my bag – thanks again!