• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me decide - keep AXSA or sell for custom rifle for PRS

its_sean

Private
Minuteman
Supporter
Aug 7, 2024
Colorado
Hi all, I have an AXSA in 6.5 cm which I absolutely love and have shot some PRS matches with. I’m still a beginner but I’m trying to decide if I keep this or sell it for something below.

Impact 737r in MDT acc elite chassis
- lightest and smoothest bolt lift of the three to keep my on target?

Terminus Zeus in MDT
- I want a quick change barrel system
- heard the bolt lift is heavier than impact

Keep AXSA
- love the quick barrel change
- love the look and ruggedness
- don’t love the hump and balance point for shooting off bags/barricades
- obviously other ergos and support for this rifle are lacking.
- I’ve started adding a lot of weight to try to keep the recoil down so maybe that will be good enough? I’m current at 22lb thinking of even pushing to 23lb.

What are some other pros and cons I’m missing.

Also considering getting a new barrel for axsa, or if I move to custom, going with a different route than 6.5 cm.

I’d like to shoot factory ammo at least for another year or two until I have more free time as I know it’s a bit of a chore. So I’m also having a dilemma on calibers. I shoot 6.5 but I want lower recoil to spot traces and misses better. So I guess my options are staying on 6.5, moving to 6mm cm, or 6 dasher or gt.

6.5 Cm
- tons of factory ammo
- higher recoil so follow up and tracing / spotting misses are harder?
- bigger splash if I do miss so maybe that makes it easier on spotting misses longer?

6mm creedmoor
- lots of factory ammo and always in stock
- less recoil than 6.5 cm
- higher velocity so less barrel life which I’m not too concerned about
- higher velocity makes spotting misses harder since it’s faster?

6 GT
- factory ammo but it’s expensive and limited
- closer recoil to dasher

6 dasher
- easy button for PRS due to recoil and ballistics
- have to reload which I don’t have time for but I’d like to shoot this caliber of any just wish there was factory ammo.

Help me decide I’m so torn.

Last edited:
Pic of my AXSA. I have a 16” mlok forend with arca on the bottom and forend weights ready to put on to add the weight in case I keep it.

Attachments

• IMG_8527.jpeg
    IMG_8527.jpeg
    514.9 KB · Views: 71
IMO I wouldn't switch guns if you love the AXSA and are just getting started in PRS. It will be a learning curve even if you go out and buy a full comp rig, so why not just shoot and keep the rifle you love? If you shoot enough PRS that you are going to dive into the deep end, then another rifle might make sense someday but you can still be very competitive in PRS with an AI.

Maybe throw a RRS BAX plate so you've got a level place to rest the gun on a bag, swap out to a heavier contour 6 creed barrel with a high quality muzzle brake, and shoot factory ammo?

More matches, practice, and/or training will take you a long way. More exposure to the sport will also help you refine what you want.

Or you could skip to the end and get a Foundation/Impact/Hawkins 6 Dasher build. :)

Ask this question in the AI pic thread. It’s basically everything AI related and several members have sold AXSA and gone the route you’re looking at. Some have regretted it

Personally I’d just run the AI if you really love it. The ATX is more suited to PRS but the bolt lift is higher than older AT/AX guns. If you wanted AI yet you could try that.

The impact/zeus route would build a better suited rifle for prs. But it won’t be an AI. Personally I think you’d regret it

Ask it here, guys like @Krob95 has done what you’re doing

One thing to keep in mind when it comes to AI’s is they tend to keep going up in value. Even just the price of the AT’s on used market has gone up about $1000 in the last several years

If you buy a prs setup watch the px here. Its loaded with parts like what you’re looking for

Downside to selling the AI is it’ll cost you $5500 ish to get one back as you can’t just buy and swap parts like the PRS rigs

I’m sure people will comment the PRs rig is better or the AI is better blah blah blah. Bottom line is if you love the AI and regret the decision to sell the cost to get one back will be twice what a decent PRS setup will run you. That’s used market prices for both by comparison

As someone mentioned, keep the AI, build a comp gun. I dearly miss my AXSA and if I could do it again I wouldn’t have bastardized it in the Vision chassis (nothing wrong with it) and just built another rifle to compete with. My two cents. I had both a terminus Zeus and impact, both of which are better suited for the game of prs. But my AXSA was hands down a better experience (even if the comp triggers are absolute dog water).

Reactions: banks74
If your just getting into PRS then keep the AX.
Once you get good enough you feel like the rifle is the only thing holding you back then consider an upgrade.

Continuing to shoot a rifle you know and love will help you progress faster than trying to build a competition rifle and reloading for a new wizbang cartridge.

Reactions: R_A_W and RRW
Everyone is making some great points. I’ll keep the AI until it’s holding me back and then upgrade.

Should I take a similar approach on cartridge, or would a 6cm benefit me more. I know it’s been talked to death but I’m having a hard time deciding.

Plenty of people shooting 6.5cm in PRS, that won’t be holding you back until you have a couple thousand rounds downrange in matches & practice. Even then, fundamentals will trump 6mm v. 6.5mm

Forget spotting trace, it’s one of the last things you should be worried about. Worry about spotting location of impacts/misses

Con: you picked an expensive sport, there’s no way around that. Building a second rifle is the way to go

Reactions: its_sean
If you need a 25+ lb rifle to manage a 6.5 mm cartridge's recoil, going to a 6 mm isn't going to help.

Learn how to shoot.

@kthomas we got another one we need a repost from the other thread lol

@308pirate needs to add the title plunderer of feels...sinking ships of false dreams one broadside at a time across the hide ocean

I started PRS with a DTA and an AXMC. Sold the AXMC to build a Curtis Vector custom. I love my vector but also wish i had kept that AXMC. It sucked for a PRS gun and in literally 1 match went from last to 13th out of 40+. AI’s aren’t PRS guns but are a fun shooting experience. I now have an ATX which i do like, but it’s not my first choice over my other customs. If i were you I’d keep the AX until you’ve burnt a barrel or 2. I know a few guys that shoot AI’s in matches because they rather shoot a rifle they love than go all in and try to compete at a high level. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has the time or want to win every match or be a top shooter, but they still have fun. After a barrel or 2 you’ll have a really really good idea of what you want out of the sport. I’d burn the current 6.5 barrel then maybe consider a 6mm of some sort for the AX and by the time that barrel is done you’ll know what you want.

I started PRS with a DTA and an AXMC. Sold the AXMC to build a Curtis Vector custom. I love my vector but also wish i had kept that AXMC. It sucked for a PRS gun and in literally 1 match went from last to 13th out of 40+. AI’s aren’t PRS guns but are a fun shooting experience. I now have an ATX which i do like, but it’s not my first choice over my other customs. If i were you I’d keep the AX until you’ve burnt a barrel or 2. I know a few guys that shoot AI’s in matches because they rather shoot a rifle they love than go all in and try to compete at a high level. Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has the time or want to win every match or be a top shooter, but they still have fun. After a barrel or 2 you’ll have a really really good idea of what you want out of the sport. I’d burn the current 6.5 barrel then maybe consider a 6mm of some sort for the AX and by the time that barrel is done you’ll know what you want.
Love it, was kind of thinking this was the way too. Burn the 6.5, try 6, then go from there. Gives me plenty of time to decide.

I put 2200 round of 6.5 creed through my AXSR 2 years ago when I started doing PRS type matches. Great prone gun, but not a very forgiving prop gun. The biggest performance improvement I've seen since moving to my Impact competition gun was the stability off a bag. I don't dread some of the improvised positions or props like I did with my AXSR. I am still shooting 6.5 creed heavies, but I am out west and see some shitty wind conditions often.

I would keep the AXSA because it's an awesome rifle, burn out the barrel in a season and then reevaluate your wants/needs once you have more experience to guide yourself. I know I would have regretted selling my AXSR to fund my Impact build.

I regret selling my AIAT literally every time I think about it. Literally. Every. Single. Time. Of all the guns I’ve sold, it’s my number one regret (and I’ve sold some pretty nice stuff over the years). I’m not saying you couldn’t replace your rifle per se, but you never know…

If you’re gonna sell it, be absolutely sure it’s what you wanna do!

I regret selling my AIAT literally every time I think about it. Literally. Every. Single. Time. Of all the guns I’ve sold, it’s my number one regret (and I’ve sold some pretty nice stuff over the years). I’m not saying you couldn’t replace your rifle per se, but you never know…

If you’re gonna sell it, be absolutely sure it’s what you wanna do!
I own 2 now! Never sell an AT….ever
Thumbhole for life!

IMG_6844.jpeg

Not gona comment on gun but IMO if you are sticking with factory ammo, I would go 6 creed. Recoil reduction over the 6.5 without the feeding issues or needing custom mags. You can get norma golden target for around 25 a box and it's not too hot so barrel will last a bit longer. It's VERY good ammo for the money and the 107 golden target bullet is consistent.

I shoot 6.5 factory ammo and 6gt reloads. Already have a ton of 6.5 barrels so it's easy. But the 6 creed will let you focus more on spotting your shot, especially with a lighter gun.

Not gona comment on gun but IMO if you are sticking with factory ammo, I would go 6 creed. Recoil reduction over the 6.5 without the feeding issues or needing custom mags. You can get norma golden target for around 25 a box and it's not too hot so barrel will last a bit longer. It's VERY good ammo for the money and the 107 golden target bullet is consistent.

I shoot 6.5 factory ammo and 6gt reloads. Already have a ton of 6.5 barrels so it's easy. But the 6 creed will let you focus more on spotting your shot, especially with a lighter gun.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’m going to burn the 6.5 cm barrel or get close and then try 6 creed. Appreciate the recommendation on norma golden target, I saw that for sale and was curious how it shot. Would be good for under 600 positional and practice shooting sounds like.

Thanks for the suggestion, I’m going to burn the 6.5 cm barrel or get close and then try 6 creed. Appreciate the recommendation on norma golden target, I saw that for sale and was curious how it shot. Would be good for under 600 positional and practice shooting sounds like.
Based on the Norma SDs I’ve cataloged for the price it’s nice, but I’d expect a good shooter to start noticing the difference at 800 and further.

Here’s my not so smart advice

First, don’t purchase anything. No barrels, not extra weight, no nothing. find and shoot 130 grain Bergers in you current 6.5CM.

Next, put a 100 or two back each month. Shoot the AI next year while putting back cash. When you have enough saved you can start putting together the rifle you want. (For matches) Get it chambered in a caliber you want. (Explain later). Then when you have the second rifle, you can shoot matches with your match optimized rifle, and still have yoru fun rifle to shoot.

How does this work. Well, everyone and his brother will tell you barrels are expendable and go on and shoot it out. However when practicing on hot days, you can give your match rifle/barrel a rest to cool down while you shoot your AI. It’s all practice. And in the end it actually will save money as you won’t be replacing barrels as often

Caliber, two thoughts. You have a 6.5. If you are shooting two rifles, it’s great if you only have to prep and load one round. Really saves time and effort. However, I made the mistake of bypassing the GT for another 6.5 on my first big purchase thinking I would save money (ouch) what I did was purchasing another set of dies, different 6.5CM cases (to keep cases separate) and different bullets, used 130’s in the match rifle and 144’s in the practice rifle. So, in essence, did not save a penny.

Current thought is a lot of people are going back to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Get a stout brake and practice a solid, square shooting position. Though our son and I have both become heavily invested into 6GT, I am sorely tempted to give the 6.5 another try. My wife is shooting her customized lightweight in 6.5 and I have no real problem with it. (And it’s as light as my Vudoo 22 which I intentionally built light (12.1 pounds). Brake and solid shooting position.

NOW for my final thought…….

TAKE A CLASS.

Oh, Did I mention perhaps the most important purchase you will make

Its

TAKE A CLASS!

Here’s my not so smart advice

First, don’t purchase anything. No barrels, not extra weight, no nothing. find and shoot 130 grain Bergers in you current 6.5CM.

Next, put a 100 or two back each month. Shoot the AI next year while putting back cash. When you have enough saved you can start putting together the rifle you want. (For matches) Get it chambered in a caliber you want. (Explain later). Then when you have the second rifle, you can shoot matches with your match optimized rifle, and still have yoru fun rifle to shoot.

How does this work. Well, everyone and his brother will tell you barrels are expendable and go on and shoot it out. However when practicing on hot days, you can give your match rifle/barrel a rest to cool down while you shoot your AI. It’s all practice. And in the end it actually will save money as you won’t be replacing barrels as often

Caliber, two thoughts. You have a 6.5. If you are shooting two rifles, it’s great if you only have to prep and load one round. Really saves time and effort. However, I made the mistake of bypassing the GT for another 6.5 on my first big purchase thinking I would save money (ouch) what I did was purchasing another set of dies, different 6.5CM cases (to keep cases separate) and different bullets, used 130’s in the match rifle and 144’s in the practice rifle. So, in essence, did not save a penny.

Current thought is a lot of people are going back to the 6.5 Creedmoor. Get a stout brake and practice a solid, square shooting position. Though our son and I have both become heavily invested into 6GT, I am sorely tempted to give the 6.5 another try. My wife is shooting her customized lightweight in 6.5 and I have no real problem with it. (And it’s as light as my Vudoo 22 which I intentionally built light (12.1 pounds). Brake and solid shooting position.

NOW for my final thought…….

TAKE A CLASS.

Oh, Did I mention perhaps the most important purchase you will make

Its

TAKE A CLASS!
Appreciate the advice.

My only problem with the brake is I hate shooting without a suppressor. I do have a hellfire but it sits in the bag unused.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Appreciate the advice.

My only problem with the brake is I hate shooting without a suppressor. I do have a hellfire but it sits in the bag unused.
Don't over think it.

Almost everyone who starts going down the PRS rabbit hole wishes they'd just kept what they started with and the time, money and ammo practicing more.

Once you've got a few more matches under your belt you could easily just pick up a 6CM prefit if you really think you aren't competitive.

Grey Ops mag opens the door for BR to reliably function in the AIAX, been testing & doing load development for BRA in my AX & has been running great. BTW sawtooth made an ARCA plate for the AX that makes the bottom really smooth, add the ARCA Victor fore end will make it more comp, rec & hunt ready with bolt on options.
Also now is the time to try some different calibers it's just 1 screw if your post 14