• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me decide on a red dot

Freethinker72

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2023
Florida
I've ordered a Volquartsen Mamba-X with a 6" barrel. I want to mount a red dot and I'm looking at a Trijicon SRO (5 MOA dot) and also a C-more with a 8 MOA dot. This will be used primarily for Steel Challenge. If the SRO was available with an 8 MOA it would be my choice. I would appreciate your help in making my choice.
Tom

Reactions: LastChance315
I have Trijicon SROs on multiple guns, and agree with you, if they came in 8 MOA that would be my choice for steel challenge. But, as of now I use the C-More RTS2B in 8 MOA on both my Rimfire steel challenge rifle and pistol and still prefer and recommend them. I have also researched and considered every red dot on the market and am still staying with the C-More. They each have their pluses and minuses.

Note: I have talked to C-More and they are working on a larger window red dot similar to the RTS, but with a larger window. They are having a hard time sourcing the glass and hope to have them out in the next few months if you can wait.

I have Trijicon SROs on multiple guns, and agree with you, if they came in 8 MOA that would be my choice for steel challenge. But, as of now I use the C-More RTS2B in 8 MOA on both my Rimfire steel challenge rifle and pistol and still prefer and recommend them. I have also researched and considered every red dot on the market and am still staying with the C-More. They each have their pluses and minuses.

Note: I have talked to C-More and they are working on a larger window red dot similar to the RTS, but with a larger window. They are having a hard time sourcing the glass and hope to have them out in the next few months if you can wait.
Thanks for the reply...very helpful. I've tried to compare the SRO window size with the RTS2B but while C-more provides every possible spec you could need Trijicon does not. Since you have both in service; do you find the SRO noticeably larger than the RTS2 to the degree that target acquisition is affected? I guess I'm asking wich is more important: window size or dot size. Again, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply...very helpful. I've tried to compare the SRO window size with the RTS2B but while C-more provides every possible spec you could need Trijicon does not. Since you have both in service; do you find the SRO noticeably larger than the RTS2 to the degree that target acquisition is affected? I guess I'm asking wich is more important: window size or dot size. Again, thanks in advance.
I have the SRO on a Black Mamba (a fun target gun) and the C-More on a Mamba X (my steel challenge gun). Just last weekend a buddy and I were shooting both side-by-side on steel. While the SRO has a larger window, I find that the large dot of the C-More is more important to me. The window on the C-More is not that much smaller that it really makes a big difference when compared to the SRO, but the larger dot of the C-More does make a bigger difference for quickly picking up the dot and getting it on target fast. If I could have a SRO with a 8 MOA dot, that would be perfect, but as you stated that animal does not exist.

I have the SRO on a Black Mamba (a fun target gun) and the C-More on a Mamba X (my steel challenge gun). Just last weekend a buddy and I were shooting both side-by-side on steel. While the SRO has a larger window, I find that the large dot of the C-More is more important to me. The window on the C-More is not that much smaller that it really makes a big difference when compared to the SRO, but the larger dot of the C-More does make a bigger difference for quickly picking up the dot and getting it on target fast. If I could have a SRO with a 8 MOA dot, that would be perfect, but as you stated that animal does not exist.
I reached the exact same conclusion. The difference in window size between the two is insignificant while the increase in the dot from 5 to 8 is 60%. The c-more has already been ordered. Thanks for the help.

You will like it! I have one on my scorpion and my steel challenge rifle. As soon as that big dot touches white on the plate pull the trigger.

Awesome, let us know what you think once you get to test it.
I most certainly will but I need to get the firearm first. I ordered a black, pure stock Mamba-X, 6" and was given an expected ship time of 8-10 months. Seems excessive but maybe they do that to placate their dealers. I've never run into a manufacturer of firearms who has a dealer network and also sells directly to the public. I was also informed that the 8-10 months is an expected timeframe and that it could ship sooner but I don't know if that means next month or 7-9 months. Has anybody reading this ordered directly from Volquartsen and what was your experience?

Have you thought about the 4.5 inch barrel...I have a 6in Scorpion, a 4.5in Black Mamba, and a 4.5in Mamba X. I find the shorter barrel of the 4.5in guns to be much easier to swing/transition between targets. For standing still and target shooting, the 6in barrel is great. But for steel challenge the 4.5in is faster with less barrel whip...at least for me.

Last edited:
Have you thought about the 4.5 inch barrel...I have a 6in Scorpion, a 4.5in Black Mamba, and a 4.5in Mamba X. I find the shorter barrel of the 4.5in guns to be much easier to swing/transition between targets. For standing still and target shooting, the 6in barrel is great. But for steel challenge the 4.5in is faster with less barrel whip...at least for me.
You are not alone. Many of the videos on Youtube reach a similar conclusion. My initial reason for the 6" barrel was for presumed greater accuracy, but again, some experienced folks on Youtube argue that there is no difference in accuracy between the two. The 6" is better for iron sight shooting due to the larger sight radius vs the 4". However, due to my 72 year old eyes, I am now relegated to optics exclusively. So I agree that the 4.5" should be faster. Now if I can only get my 72 year old reflexes to react more quickly. I changed my order to 4.5" last week.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Tom

Hi Tom, that is awesome you are 72 and still at it, an inspiration. I am a younger 50, but having the same issues with my eyes. I can no longer focus on irons and shoot mainly scope and red dots. Good call on the 4.5, I am sure you will love it.