Maggie’s Help me find Gpa's 64 GTO

pbgunrunner

Old enough to know better
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2005
Iowa City, Iowa
I figured maybe the inmates here on the board might help a brother out. My Grandpa had a 1964 GTO, sold it to my Mom and Dad, they drove it until the mid 70s then it went to a friend who sold it to parts unknown (he was supposed to let Granddad have first shot if he sold it!). I've always wanted to track it down. Everything happened in Monroe, IA. It was a black 1964, 389 w an AMF 4bbl carb and a 4 speed. The serial number is 824M10766. Pre vin unfortunately. If anyone can come up w it I'll send you a good bottle of burbon for your trouble. I also have a copy of the original sales receipt I can give to the owner for their time. Thanks!

Last edited:
a-square-of-metal-formed-from-a-car-that-has-been-put-through-a-car-ggd1ac.jpg

without a lot of information it's going to be hard to find that exact car if it still exists . you could get really friendly with people working at the dmv . good luck finding the car .

Reactions: 1J04
When I was young, (around 17 years old) my friend's father owned a used car lot. Someone didn't make payments on a car, so his father gave us each $100 and paid expenses like meals, hotel and fuel, flew us from Portland, Oregon to Phoenix, AZ where we had paperwork to repo a yellow 66 GTO convertible and drive it back to Portland. It was a 389, tri-power with a 4 speed. We showed up, waited until after dark, and although we had paperwork in hand, we figured it would be safer to take the car sureptiously. So it was like stealing the car, and the saying "drive it like you stole it" actually applied to us. We drove across the desert to LA, then up Interstate 5 to Portland... We never did take the top down.

That was one fast car, and one hell of a fun trip!

Once upon a time, a long time ago...
I worked in the Insurance industry and helped an old guy use the insurace system to track down his old car. It'd been built in California, shipped to texas, he sold it, went to oaklahoma, back to the panhandle and the trail went cold. He spent years looking for it, but the trail was cold. I talked to him at a car show and dug in with him. Turned out It'd been at a paint and body shop in idaho for decades. Owner of the shop never licensed it since he was "working on it in his spare time" BUT he did have it insured under his garagekeepers policy with another company. You'd have thought that dude was 17 again when I handed him the paper.
I'd get fired over it again to this very day to see an 80 year old man become a kid again. (Although that wasn't what I told my boss and the state when that prick from the north office made me have to grip in for my job.) My advice? Do just what you're doing. Ask everyone. Post everywhere. Find old pictures with the license plate. Take those to the dmv, see if he is a hoarder and has a stub of his first ticket in the car. Go to the last known place and hit the car shows, diners, etc. Ask the cable guys and electrical linemen if they've seen any old cars when they're working on utilities. A 64 goat is worth finding. Good luck, and happy hinting.