• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Help me out with a 22 Suppressor

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
I'm ordering a surefire socom 556 for my MK18 and figured while I'm at it, I would just order a suppressor for my 22 also. I'd like to send both forms around the same time. My question is for anyone who has recommendations. I have a tac sol ar-22 that it will be used mostly on, but also will most likely purchase a tac sol or some sort of 22 pistol to use in on too.

I've been looking through various threads and the two I see mentioned most are the Sparrow and also the Spectre II. Just looking for some guidance before I pull the trigger on one. Also, I'm open to other suggestions, just noticed the above two in a lot of different reviews/posts.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alan

I mostly sell the AAC Element2, XCaliber Genesis SS and the Elite Iron Echo 6". The sparrow is a good version of the monocore can. If you like aluminum, try the Prodigy for a monocore. The Pilot and Outback are both take-apart aluminum K baffle cans that are great. I just don't like aluminum.

I just picked up my Huntertown Arms Guardian Friday. It is a pretty nice can, especially for $200. I am still debating if I will send it in to have it upgraded to a Stainless Kestrel core or not. If anything just to make it easier to clean. I am running it on a Ruger 22/45 Lite and it is a SUPER quiet setup!

I bought a gemtech screw on suppresser for my 22s. it works ok with sub sonic ammo but not well with standard. its cheaply made also. I ended up ordering a suppressed barrel it is MUCH quieter. that gemtech was a huge waste of money

I have a tbac 22L-1 and it is very quiet. I have a liberty essence also and it performs about he same as the tbac. I run both on a buckmark and the action cycling is about all you hear that's with standard 22 ammo, no fancy subs for me. The next can I want to get is the sparrow. I like the design and it has great reviews on their performance.

I own the sparrow, and am getting the Specter II as well. but for an AR type 22LR, look into the Gem-Tech G5-22. Its a dedicated 22LR can, that is QD to a Flash hider mount. it profiles more like a 556 can, looking more appropriate on an AR type. But the Silencerco/SWR cans are my best suggestion for quality with support.

"I bought a gemtech screw on suppresser for my 22s. it works ok with sub sonic ammo but not well with standard. its cheaply made also. I ended up ordering a suppressed barrel it is MUCH quieter. that gemtech was a huge waste of money"

Unlike the information presented above, my 1st suppressor is the OutBack 2. My choice was not based on 'enuff' knowlege to choose another! In retrospect I wish I had purchased this one: tbac 22L-1. Then I would have had a suppresser for the .22 mag, not just .22 long rifle. I almost got suckered in to sending it back to make it a 'cleanable' can but from the information I read by others who had sent theirs in for the conversion [ I might add at an additonal PUCKER UP PRICE] , shooting more the a few hundred rounds w/o tearing appart and cleaning presented a significant issue about the ease of taking the can appart to clean!!!

Me, I rather spend more time shooooooting vs my shooting time being sacrificed having to clean a can...

So far my experience does not exceed a brick of .22's thru the GemTech. I am happy with it on my: 5,10/22's, 4-77/22's, 3 Ruger Mark 2/22's and my single Mosquito .22. I was really impressed with the Outback on the Mosquito shooting both sub-sonic and stand velocity .22 ammo. It was quiter on the Mosquito vs the Rugers.

My next suppressor will be the tbac 22L-1 but when that will happen...I have no clue...altho it will happen before I reach 70.......and I am not far from that # now.

Last edited:
I've got the Sparrow and didnt decide on it until about a months worth of research. Not only is it quiet but it's easy to clean since its a one piece baffle system. This baffle stack is also enclosed by two aluminum pieces that acts as a buffer between the baffles and the can. I like that because the blast residue won't cause your baffles to get stuck to the can allowing you to easily slide the baffles out for cleaning. I love it.