• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me read my 6.5X47 Lapua results

paraman1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2003
Boise , Idaho
I recently purchased a 6.5x47 Lapua and took it out Friday to test a few loads. This was brand new Lapua brass, 140 GR Berger Hybrids, CCI 450 primers and H4350. All shots were at a 100 yards. I did fail to record velocity on 3 shots so I didn't include the ES or SD on that group. I didn’t have any pressure signs on the brass so I am tempted to go a little higher just to see if there is a node around 2800 FPS.

The rifle is a Defiance action with a Brux 26 inch barrel bedded into a McMillan A6 stock.

Last but not least, from group 5 on I was able to put 3 shots touching or in the same hole and then I would start to struggle and the next 2 would leak out. I am not sure if it was because I was just so excited to be shooting my new rifle finally or because I was on a time crunch due to my Dad needing to get back home to do his irrigation.
IMG_6586.jpeg
IMG_6547.jpeg

Last edited:
Not sure of your POA but looking at 3 and 4 if I'm interpreting it correctly you have at least 9 shots printing together with 38.2-38.5 gn so that would look like a place to be. Don't put a lot of weight on the chronograph data beyond telling you the approximate velocity. If you need more velocity I think the 39.4 -40gn region might work with some seating depth adjustment. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Not sure ion you POA but looking at 3 and 4 if I'm interpreting it correctly you have at least 9 shots printing together with 38.2-38.5 gn so that would look like a place to be. Don't put a lot of weight on the chronograph data beyond telling you the approximate velocity. If you need more velocity I think the 39.4 -40gn region might work with some seating depth adjustment. Just my opinion.
POA is the nearest corner of the one inch square. Aim small miss small. I shifted .1 mil left for group 10. All groups are about a tenth low with the goal being to collect group size without obliterating my aiming point.

Reactions: Doom
Being new your barrel will speed up. Right around 36gn. Of varget speed around 2760fps. Seems to be a magic spot for 6.5x47.
It actually had 100 rounds through it before we started so I’m not sure how much more speed we will get out of this barrel. I really would like to try some Varget but since I have 16 pounds of H4350 on hand I will probably stick with that for a while.

It actually had 100 rounds through it before we started so I’m not sure how much more speed we will get out of this barrel. I really would like to try some Varget but since I have 16 pounds of H4350 on hand I will probably stick with that for a while.

H4350 is also a fantastic powder for the 6.5x47L.

Most guys like to push that cartridge quite a bit, because of the design and brass quality. I have two of them, and prefer to live in the "lower node" (123gr @ ~2,825 / 130gr @ ~2,725). Stupid accurate...but it depends on what you're needing from the rifle I suppose, as a lot of shooters like to run that cartridge hotter.

That whole area between 37.9 and 38.5 looks promising. I might try adjusting seating depth a bit -or- try those loads again at distance and see how similar the results are. That is just me though, and the next x47L shooter will probably tell you to run the snot out of it.

If it were me, I'd load 38.4, and try a few groups at .010 in and out if you're REALLY trying to dial in the load. Past that you're getting too much vertical dispersion IMO. It is also heavily dependent upon your skill. If you're a .5 shooter most of the time, chasing .3s is an exercise in futility.

I've been shooting x47L for many years out of 26-27" Bartleins and Kriegers.

I shoot both H4350 and Varget. I've never loaded 140s below 40gr H4350.... I'm not loading hot either.

40.3 (2775) and 41.1 (2820) with 140 Hybrids either 0.005 off or +0.001 jam shoot one hole for me.. 28

I predominantly shoot varget though. 4gr less powder used, one hole accuracy with ease and low single digit sd. H4350 does the same just takes a tad more tuning and 4gr more powder...