• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help me upgrade my Leica CRF 1200

fireguyty

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 24, 2010
Las Vegas
Guys,
I've had this CRF for about 3 years now and it was a huge upgrade from the Nikon Monarch I had before. I mainly hunt coyotes, and target shoot to 2000 yards.

For coyotes the problem is usually that I can't get a range in flat range land much past 300 yards. I know this is tough as there is very little to reflect off of, but further would be nice.

Next is the longer ranges. I use the CRF against mountains to 1100ish, but its difficult after that. I have a Garmin Rino, but it starts reading in tenths of a mile after 950 yards.

My restrictions are around $1000. I am wondering how much of an improvement I will see from my CRF. I was looking at the CRF 1600, and surprisingly have read how impressed several of you have been with both Bushnell Fusion, and Elite 1600.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ty

Re: Help me upgrade my Leica CRF 1200

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.bushnell.com/products/rangefinders/Fusion-1600-arc/

Really happy with mine. Best for the money. </div></div>

+1

I just got a set as well and they are outstanding for lazing targets out to 1800 yards. Plus the binos are great for spotting and IDing target strings in comps. The only downside to them is they are a bit big to carry in a small pack and the illumination of the LED readout can be hard to read in bright environments. Well worth the money imho.

I have been surprised about the reviews of these. I'll have to try a set out. Any chance you guys compare with the Leica models?

Also are the bino's superior to the just straight rangefinder model in terms of getting a reading?

My Fusion 1600s blew the Leica out of the water for ranging.

That being said, the glass is not on par with the Leica though.

There is a VERY annoying blue tint and the glass is not that bright due to the small exit pupil.

The guys at Sportsman's Warehouse let me take the 10X Fusion 1600 binos outside into the parking lot to test-lase.

Off a walking stick I was able to range a big green freeway sign at 1432 yards, easy. I agree the glass is tinted a little blue, but having just used a $3700 Vectronix PLRF-10 I liked the magnification and the capability.

True a freeway sign is big, flat, and reflective, but I thought the performance was pretty good for just walking outside and pressing a button. I'm looking forward to trying the Bushnell 12X 1600 binos.

Well, ok. I had not planned on going the Bino/RF route, but to hell with it. If they are the best up to a set of Vectronix, and only 8-900 then why not.

I guess my next question would be, how are the Bino's? You guys said they have a bluish tint. Other than that, how does the glass stack up against other straight up Bino's? How is the field of view (big concern when considering 10 vs 12 mag)? Compare to a set of Vortex Vipers? Or Nikon Monarch?

Thanks again guys.....as always a great source of info.

Compared to a set of Vortex HDs, are leaps lower in glass. Compared to other Bushnells, they are on par other than the blue tint.

It is really a trade off. The rangefinder is leaps above my Leica 1200s, but the glass is far worse than my HDs.

The tradeoff FOR ME was not worth it. Leica 1200 and good binos are in my kit.

If you plan on using them in any kind of low light, I would not recommend the 1600s, if only used during the day they are G2G.

Are the bino/rangefinder versions any better than the regular rangefinder. I have an elite 1500 and its glass isn't great and it ranges fine at the range, but non reflective targets are rather difficult. I thought the Leica was supposed to range nonreflective targets further. Bushnell states 500 yards for a deer, which is no better than it used to be, when I purchased my bushnell. Under bad conditions for my elite 1500 I couldn't range a black cow at around 500 yds using a tripod.

Fusion 1600s are better than advertised. Range finder is really suprisingly good. I ranged buildings at almost 2000yds easily on a sunny day.

Wow that's really good. I've been wanting a bino/rangefinder. My elite 1500's furthest was a large white house about 1100 yds away and nothing beyond. I've always read great reviews and I liked the no frills type of rangefinder for the 1500, but I've been looking around for something better. It's just hard to throw that kind of coin down on that kind of equipment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Quickdraw40</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.bushnell.com/products/rangefinders/Fusion-1600-arc/

Really happy with mine. Best for the money. </div></div>

I've played with a couple buddies' and it will be the next LRF I get. I have a Leica LRF1200S and 1200 is a bit of a stretch....

What about ranging paper and steel targets? I am sure all these range finders will read buildings, horses, etc. But how about simple targets? I tried one today and we had to walk downrange and shoot from the target back to the building next to the shooting line because it couldn't read a hanging 10" steel plate at 500 yds! Plus I don't care about ballistics info from a range finder. I just want it to range the target at a price under $700. Any suggestions. Thanks

Gil Horsley

Ok, so at a match this weekend I compared my Leica to a buddies Bushnell Elite 1600. I couldn't get ranges past 640 with his. Mine would range rock faces out to 1100.

I know that I used the straight up LRF, and not the Fusion 1600. However, after that I'm gonna need to put my hands on the Fusion before I dump my Leica.