Help modernizing my rifle to 6.5 PRC w/DBM please

secondofangle2

Online Training Member
Minuteman
  • Jul 3, 2017
    Hi, guys -

I got the pictured rifle in 2007 from the Remington Custom Shop in 7mm RM. Have been slaying varmints with it with 162s for going on 20 years. But, It is getting long in the tooth (lands eroded about 0.080, I'm chasing them to keep velocity up at 3020ish, but accuracy has fallen off a bit; 27.5" barrel). I'm going to go 6.5 PRC this time around.

As pictured, it is a 40-X short action (so single feed) with McMillan A3 stock and hinged floor plate. I'd like to reuse everything but the barrel, and add DBM/mag feeding for the 6.5 PRC (as well as side bolt release; it already has a M16-style extractor). (I think the barrel is a Hart or whatever button rifled barrel RCS used back then; I don't want to set it back because RCS used left-hand threads on the brake, so it's time to start over so I can run a Magnus S on it.)

How much work will it take my gunsmith to upgrade to DBM when he rebarrels it, and what options are available/suggested? Is badger still king of the hill?

THanks for any help.

7mmMag.jpg

A little confusing, sorry. You have 40-x repeater action(it has a bottom cut, internal magazine, and hinged floorplate), with a 7 rem mag barrel on it? Do i understand that correctly?

The stock will need to be re-inletted on the bottom to take M5 pattern bottom metal. M5 is a badger ord footprint that is widely copied. I like the Hawkins precision part. After that its just a re-barrel to 6.5 PRC. Magazined will be accurate/MDT WSM/PRC magazines

Well, I'm glad you got me to look more carefully. There is no bottom cut on the 40-X action, so it seems like I should leave it as a single shot rather than cut up a 40-X action, would you agree? What would you do?