Rifle Scopes Help Scope Bell Size for Elk Hunting

Painless300

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2013
Rome, GA
I am a new member to the hide but been using it for a great resource for at least two years, you guys taught me most of my knowledge about reloading! Thanks for all the great info.

Robert Gradous is building me a second rifle in the spring just for hunting White tails and Elk. My first rifle he built is a 12 lbs Surgeon, a little heavy for packing into to back country of Wyoming.
The new rifle will be a 300 Win Mag, Stiller Predator, #3 Bartlein 5R 1-10 twist, Jewel Trigger, Rem box spring floor metal and Rem Sporter Edge Stock with Vias break.

I am trying to keep it at or under 8 lbs. I will go with a Swaro Z6 because its light weight and IMO just about the best glass out there, but I cannot decide between the 2.5-15 x 44 or 3-18 x 50.

80% of its use will be whitetail hunting and the rest will be Elk, other than playing with loads and blowing up milk cartons for practice.

Any words of wisdom before I drop another $2500

A 50mm objective would be quite large if you are doing a lot of walking. A quality 44mm should provide enough light for the 30 minutes after sunset, etc.

I am not sure you will be able to tell the difference between the two once it's on your rifle. According to their website, there is only one ounce separating the two in weight.

The one thing I would consider is mounting height for a proper cheek weld. Once you have the rifle and know how it fits you may need to mount the scope lower to get a proper/consistent cheek weld. Then again, if you like the x50 and its mounted a little to high you can just use a stock pack with a cheek pad to elevate your face.

In the end, either scope will work. For general purpose hunting, I like to keep things compact and light. For example, the z6 1.7-10x42 is where I would put my cash.

I went from hunting with a custom 14.25 lb. (fully loaded) rifle to 8.25 lb. and was so much happier. Previously, I'd hunted with a 20" LTR (about 10.5 lbs.) and was pretty satisfied. But the lighter rifle is easy to fire offhand and that made my elk hunting easy this year. Everybody has their preferences and comfort level, especially financially. But I feel a lot better backpacking a rifle that with scope cost a quarter of the custom. It's a Tikka T-3 Lite with a Manners EH stock and an SS 3-15x42. Plenty of scope and light transmission for Montana hunting hours and sunrise/sunset characteristics. Personally, I want a scope I can dial elevation into.

Given that your scope weights are apparently pretty similar, the one thing I might consider is that the mounting height of the 50 mm objective on a light hunting rifle might throw off your cheek weld depending on the design of the gun. When I switched from my 40mm objective Weaver scope to my 50mm objective S&B on my Tikka I found that I wasn't getting a good cheek weld on the rifle due to the scope being mounted (necessarily) higher. I had to add a strap on pad to the stock to keep things where they should be with the larger objective.

There's no doubt that my S&B is a better scope for competition, tactical, and long range precision use. But, if I ever upgrade rifles for my S&B, I'd happily throw my 3-10x40mm Weaver back on the Tikka rifle for hunting use... it was a good lightweight combination that worked really well for that purpose. And, the 10x scope more than allowed for shooting at any distance in which you should ever consider engaging an elk (light transmission was surprisingly good, too).

Again, my S&B is better than my Weaver in just about every way... except size, weight, and cost.

Last edited:
Go 44mm. Sounds like a great rig you got going. I have a poors mans rig that I used for elk. A savage 110 in 30-06. Bell and carlson medalist stock with a 4lb timney trigger. This was a model just before the accu trigger. I used a 3.5-10x40mm vx-lll leupold with the cds dials. This gun is 1moa if I do my part. Made a clean kill at 350yds on an elk so I can't complain.