• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help with a Remington 700 sps Tac or Varmint

NorthEastWinter

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2009
Great American Northeast
First of all, I can't decide which to go with. The only two fll reviews of both rifles I got off another forum site, and I can't decide between the two for a first med/long distance rifle. I've heard I need to shave down the forend so the barrel doesn't come in contact with the stock on the sps tactical. And I hear it's the more accurate of the two too. The varmint on the other hand gives me the 26" bull barrel instead of the 20" bull barrel.

Secondly, I'd like to find a good muzzle brake for either or. Any suggestions for a good smith around the central PA area who can do the barrel threading? And a good muzzle brake for that matter. Thanks.

Re: Help with a Remington 700 sps Tac or Varmint

And for the comments that are bound to appear out of thin ass... I have searched... I've been looking for the last couple hours and haven't found much at all about muzzle brakes for a remington 700. So school me, please.

Well the first thing you'll need to do with either one of them is replace the stock cause the stocks that come factory on both of them are pieces of shit! If you're not wanting to spend a ton of money, bell and carlson medalist or tactical medalist stocks work pretty well and are a huge improvement over the factory crap. I don't really think the 26" barrel gives you any noticable advangtage and I doubt that either one is any more accurate than the other. I've had both and I couldn't really tell any difference. You just need to decide which one fits your needs best. Both of them will hold their own for the application you described above if you do your part.

Muzzle brakes aren't for any particular rifle, they are caliber-specific. I've got two Hollands, a couple homemade by a friend with a lathe, and a couple which escape me right now.
Search for Fat Bastard and FTE brakes, people seem to like them.
And wear plugs under your muffs when you shoot, they are loud.

1911fan

They are like women, all shapes & sizes. It's not unusual to cut/recrown a barrel when you thread it, and you can also have them turned down to match brake OD or have the brake turned to match barrel OD. There are also several smiths advertising here, check out the Commercial Sales forum in the classifieds. I have had threading done by friends, by Noveske, and lately Benchmark Barrels.
Most .30 stuff is 5/8X 24 threads, keep that in mind so your suppressor will fit too. Many brakes are sold underbored, so they are adaptable to many calibers, you just bore out the center hole to caliber diameter (plus a few thousandths). The reason you are not getting the exact specific info you are looking for is that brakes are generic. If you are looking for a muzzle brake for a specific rifle, with rare exceptions (TRG? Sako?) you won't find it.
Start here: buy one of these , have it installed, and shoot. This is, so far, my favorite- but I've not shot the Fat Bastard or Little Bastard, both highly rated.

1911fan

I have the sps tac and I´m happy with it. I would not go with a 26" barrel for .308 20" seems okay for me. I didn´t replace the stock but the trigger with CG custom and I don´t regred it.

I went with the Vermit because I could pick it up new in box for $450. Added HS PST035 stock because of the alum block is a bolt on with no bedding or pillars to deal with. I upgraded to RB LV-1K trigger adj to 1#.

Rifle3.jpg

This is 5 rounds of GMM175 and the black lines are 1" out side to out side edge on 1/4" rule graph paper.
Target6-1.jpg

This is 10 shots with GMM175 at 300 yards.
scan0010.jpg

Not blowing my own horn just saying a factory R700 with a few tricks can shoot.

I did a Varmint because I wanted to be able to choose my barrel length after more in-depth research (aka - trigger time).
I also chose a B&C Light Tactical stock because of the aluminum bedding block and price ($230 to my door, new). I ended up cutting it to 22" sice I'll double-duty this rifle to do some hunting, so I want it handier than 24 or 26", and still have it with a decent front-end heaviness for offhand shooting.

Pre-chop:
DSC01590.jpg

Post chop:
DSC01845.jpg

Pork chop:
thick-pork-chop.jpg

hey fellas, great site.
you really can't go wrong with either a 20 or 26. you'll still need to replace the stock. i would get the one that is the cheapest.

Had to go look it up on there sight just to make sure

For the FTE break

P/N 306-38B 5/8-24 thread and .800” minimum Bbl diameter Weight: 7.9 oz.

so its .800" min bbl for the 5/8" thread witch from what I understand is what you would want anyway for a 30 cal.

Good luck.

If your looking for a good Pa. smith to do some work for you check out:

Up In Arms Designs Inc
357 W. 30th St
Hazleton, PA 18202
http://www.upinarmsdesigns.com/

I have sent 2 rifles to have both tuning and muzzle brakes installed and can't say enough good about them. Super easy to talk to, deal with and the turn around times are very reasonable.

My wife has a SPS-T in 308 with the 20" bbl and a Surefire Brake/Adaptor and it's a good shooter. But if you want to choose your bbl length when having work done then you may want to go with the Varment rig and go from there.

example: SPS-T 308win w/Surefire brake/adaptor
DSC_0040.jpg

SPS-T next to my 700P thats restocked, chopped (22") with an Ops Inc brake.
DSC_0041.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NorthEastWinter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First of all, I can't decide which to go with. The only two fll reviews of both rifles I got off another forum site, and I can't decide between the two for a first med/long distance rifle. I've heard I need to shave down the forend so the barrel doesn't come in contact with the stock on the sps tactical. And I hear it's the more accurate of the two too. The varmint on the other hand gives me the 26" bull barrel instead of the 20" bull barrel.

Secondly, I'd like to find a good muzzle brake for either or. Any suggestions for a good smith around the central PA area who can do the barrel threading? And a good muzzle brake for that matter. Thanks. </div></div>

You might look into this... http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-sps-tactical-aac-sd.aspx

It is already threaded and has a faster twist barrel. I saw one today for $639 in my local gunshop.

I bought the Remington SPS-V because it was cheaper. Eventually I replaced both stock and trigger. I bought the Bell and Carlson Tactical-A5 stock because it was a lot cheaper then the A5 from McMillan. I replaced the trigger with a Timney Trigger set at around 1.5lbs. I like my set up pretty good. Im currently working on a .308 load to shoot for it as of now but with factory match ammo the SPS-V in the right hands can accomplish sub MOA accuracy out to 100m.
IMG_0720.jpg

To me it's Apples and oranges, almost any heavy barrel rem 700 is built to the same specifications. They just wear different lenth barrels and stocks. I bought a 450 dollar varmint, put a hs precision stock on and wabam, a 700pss is born. Get the cheapest one. Put a good stock and glass on it and you have you a shooter my friend.