• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Help with a tri pod purchase

want to be

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2018
Bluff City TN
I hope this is in the correct forum sub-title. I have read a few threads on the subject but I still need help. I am looking into getting a tripod for some long-range shooting at my range, out to 1500 yards. I am unable to shoot prone because of some neck issues. I am planning on shooting from a sitting position on the ground I will only shoot a few times per year maybe six outings. Money and cost are a concern but I do want good support. I was looking at a Leofoto LN364c with a MAB 75 ball head. My rifles are under 18 lbs and currently use a PIC rail for my bipods and hate to change to Arca. I have read a few pros and more cons about the Leofoto products. Any advice that can be offered will be helpful.

The tripod you propose is a perfectly good choice, and a great price point for an amateur/enthusiast.

I don't know anything about the ballhead you're evaluating, but the Anvil 30 by RRS (or the Leofoto knockoffs) are the gold standard for shooting from a tripod. Alternatively, you can just plop a support bag on top of the tripod head, many folks do that in competition anyway (both NRL Hunter and PRS); it's often more stable than clipped in, and can be just as fast depending on the scenario. I know you're not talking about competition, I just provide that info from the perspective of "If it's good enough for those guys, it's good enough for just about anybody."

Clipped in has the advantage that you can just leave the rifle sitting on the tripod while you interact with it, whether it's cleaning, adjusting/mounting/testing optics, troubleshooting function, or just shooting.

I'm not sure why you hate the concept of ARCA, unless it's just the cost of converting. If you're going to shoot from a tripod, especially clipped in, you should be using an ARCA rail that is at least long enough to give you full adjustment across your desired range of reach, from the buttpad to the support hand at the tripod apex. Using a Picatinny rail will really hamper your ability to get your body positioned properly behind the tripod, and would make you less stable if you go the support bag route. Personally I think you will be much better served by a full-length ARCA, it results in better stability on a support bag anyway if you choose not to clip in.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
Thanks for your advice. The reason I hate to go to Arca is I have two Accu-tac bipods and both are Pic mounts. You didn't give your thoughts on the Tripod. I will for sure look at the Anvil 30, do you know if it will fit the Leofoto Tripod or what the the Leofoto knockoff for the Anvil code name might be? The reason I was looking at the MAB head was that it would take both Arca and Picatinny.

Reactions: KnowNothing256
After a lot of reading, asking, and evaluating tripods, I chose the Innorel RT90c with an Innorel N52 ball head. Mostly because of the weight rating that it will handle.

I mostly use mine for hunting. But I have put a few of my heavy competition rigs on it to try out. For hunting rifles, I use the hog saddle on top of that ball head. But for the heavy rigs, I use the Arca clamp.

IMG-2655.jpg

IMG-2652.jpg

IMG-2771.jpg

I’m impressed with the weight and sturdiness of the tripod. And so far, no issues.

Combined with the Leofoto LN364c. This would give you both ARCA and Picatinny capabilities should you choose to invest into ARCA in the future.

I have the MAB75 ball head. It’s a decent ballhead for the price esp when you snag one of Leofoto’s certs off a prize table. There’s a little more play than the Anvil 30, but then again it’s close to half the price of the Anvil 30. I believe it’s pic as well as Arca, but I’ve only used it with the arca rails on my rifle.

I have mine in a 75mm mount which drops into my 2 Vets tripod head, so can’t comment on the Leofoto tripods.

Combined with the Leofoto LN364c. This would give you both ARCA and Picatinny capabilities should you choose to invest into ARCA in the future.
thats interesting.

have you shot with one? how is it compared to a traditional ball head?

I hope this is in the correct forum sub-title. I have read a few threads on the subject but I still need help. I am looking into getting a tripod for some long-range shooting at my range, out to 1500 yards. I am unable to shoot prone because of some neck issues. I am planning on shooting from a sitting position on the ground I will only shoot a few times per year maybe six outings. Money and cost are a concern but I do want good support. I was looking at a Leofoto LN364c with a MAB 75 ball head. My rifles are under 18 lbs and currently use a PIC rail for my bipods and hate to change to Arca. I have read a few pros and more cons about the Leofoto products. Any advice that can be offered will be helpful.
Instead of buying the tripod and ballhead separately, you might consider this Leofoto tripod and ballhead. It will save you about $120.00...

Also, if you "subscribe" on their website, you'll get a 10% off coupon. There is a subscribe textbox and button at the top of the webpage.

Leofoto SA-X+MA-40X Outdoors Tripod with Rapid Lock Ballhead | SA-X & 3/8" - SA-364CX+MA-40X

1723542780970.png

I have an older version of this tripod ballhead combination and am very happy with it.

thats interesting.

have you shot with one? how is it compared to a traditional ball head?
I wish I saved couple hundred dollars and never bought a traditional ball head (LH55). These new style ball heads with a single locking lever is significantly less fiddly. A single locking lever vs 3 stupid knobs on a traditional. I was always messing with the knobs for a traditional ball head, not enough friction, too much friction, need to lock the ball, turned the ball friction knob accidentally instead of the pan lock knob.

From a usability perspective, It was one of those cases where having too much user adjustability was a detriment to me. I found myself constantly wondering why I couldn't use just the giant ball lock knob as both the friction adjuster and lock knob.

In terms of stability, I didn't notice a difference with a traditional ball head completely locked down (tightened friction, locked knob, locked pan) versus these new style balls. Could be because I don't have the skill level to notice a difference or it's because there's no difference.

Last edited:
I have the Leofoto SA-364C-tripod with MA-30L-head. There are sturdier tripods around, but this one gets the job done.

I also have my bipod attached with a picatinny rail but I have a shorter ARCA-rail for the tripod (never needed a full length and I have a Tier One bipod that can't be or needed to be shifted, hence the picatinny). The MA30L takes both ARCA and picatinny.

1000033943.jpg

Last edited:
Morning, It's been a while. I received the Leofoto LN 364C and the MAB ball head. I sure like the Tripod, I believe it will provide all the support that I will need. I found a few issues when unpacking One of the rubber feet and two of the metal spikes would not tighten up. The vendor is working with me to correct this. The Head works well and has a lot of grip. After some practice and shooting, I feel that I will like the pod with just a bag for support for now. I know that there are learning curves to everything new. I have only shot at 100 yards to date, and those targets were very good, but have been dry-firing a lot. Any help or advice offered will be helpful.

Like I said I like shooting with just a bag on the pod, thinking I may pick up a tac table or just rig one up for now. What are your thoughts when it come to shooting long range is it better clipped in or just a bag?

I have the Leofoto SA-364C-tripod with MA-30L-head. There are sturdier tripods around, but this one gets the job done.

I also have my bipod attached with a picatinny rail but I have a shorter ARCA-rail for the tripod (never needed a full length and I have a Tier One bipod that can't be or needed to be shifted, hence the picatinny). The MA30L takes both ARCA and picatinny.

View attachment 8479226
What is the wrap you have on your tripod legs?

What are your thoughts when it come to shooting long range is it better clipped in or just a bag?
Personal preference is bag on a plate/table for long range, unless I’m shooting on a slope. Then clamping into a head is just faster & allows me to reposition/adjust by manipulating the rifle with the tripod attached.