• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes help with decision for a gun that will be handed down

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
I'm building a Savage 110e .270 and I just refinished and and it has beautiful wood. This will be a gun a hold onto and passed down to my oldest son. I'm not apposed to a used scope as long as it's in good condition. I was thinking of Leopold VX I and VX II as well as the Nikon Prostaff and Monarch. I do want to but one and be dine with it no trial and error. Also has anyone used the Leupold Rifleman?

Just some eye candy. Waiting to cure so I can buff it glossy.
IMG_20130911_135745_zps6111756c.jpg

Really consider Leupold, VX-1 or VX2. A company thats been around forever and will be around forever. Great products that last. Everyone has their story about their Leupold thats 10, 15, 20 plus years old and still working. If anything ever goes wrong with it, or you want to add some customizations, youre a phone call away from repair or replacement guaranteed.

Trevor B.

With the glass you have "fully coated" "multi coated" "multicoat 4" and so on. It has to do with which lenses are coated, type of coating and what parts are coated.

Here is a link to some info Leupold put out a while back.

Leupold FAQ - The Optics Talk Forums

IMHO optical quality will differ from the rifleman to the vx1/vx2

The difference between the VX1 and VX2 is most evident in the turrets. The VX1 being the old school friction type and the VX2 being a solid finger click "pop bottle cap" type.

For a rifle that you plan to hunt with and pass down, i would go with the best you can afford. Even if its a used VX3 or VXIII. They are covered for life. Nice stock BTW