• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

Help with first tripod (manfrotto vs leofoto)

Matt_3479

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2009
I’m looking for a multipurpose tripod. I am just starting out in 22 prs style comps this up coming year, and would like to be able to use this tripod for that. I shoot long range with cneterfire but never compete. This tripods main purpose will be for hunting/spotting. It will carry my spotting scope during fall deer seasons, and my varmint rifles during late fall/winter predator hunting.

Currently looking at a manfrotto mt055 pro 4 carbon with ball head or leofoto LS-284C+LH30PCL. I didn’t want to spend 1300 on a rrs set up if I don’t end up sticking with the comps. I figured I’m going need 2 tripods eventually if I do stick with it, keep one for spotter and hunting and deck out one for prs. I just wanted to be able to try working with a tripod and testing out all different sides of it before diving into the rrs.

What’s your thoughts?

The only justification for a 4 leg CF tripod is if you hike with it. A 3 leg aluminum will typically be stiffer than a 4 leg CF and not much heavier or longer. I once had a RRS CF tripod and Monopod and they were first class for camera work but less expensive Manfrotto and even Vangard did the same thing for much less $$$.

The only justification for a 4 leg CF tripod is if you hike with it. A 3 leg aluminum will typically be stiffer than a 4 leg CF and not much heavier or longer. I once had a RRS CF tripod and Monopod and they were first class for camera work but less expensive Manfrotto and even Vangard did the same thing for much less $$$.
wouldnt a 4 legged tripod be a quadpod?

Reactions: John_in_WYO
your making a big mistake if you dont go rrs your just wasting money and as soon as you try a rrs you will understand why. i do have a feisol 3342 with a rrs 40 ball head. i more than likely will keep it for hunting if packing in due to its size and weight but my rrs is a pice of gear i will never get rid of. i do see myself getting anther one down the road if i wanted some think else trying to save a buck it would be a feisol and if you decided to buy a rrs and didnt want it down the road you will get a better return on it used that any other product. look up divers posts on both the feisol and the rrs hes the man.

your making a big mistake if you dont go rrs your just wasting money and as soon as you try a rrs you will understand why. i do have a feisol 3342 with a rrs 40 ball head. i more than likely will keep it for hunting if packing in due to its size and weight but my rrs is a pice of gear i will never get rid of. i do see myself getting anther one down the road if i wanted some think else trying to save a buck it would be a feisol and if you decided to buy a rrs and didnt want it down the road you will get a better return on it used that any other product. look up divers posts on both the feisol and the rrs hes the man.
any opinion between 3 section and 4 section leg rrs tripods? trying to pick between the two.

Which rrs tripod set up is best recommend?

I just figured we are talking a 1300+ dollar tripod in Canada when I can get the others for 400 ish. Not expecting them to be remotely equal but it does seem to be as light, can get down as low and thought it might make for a nice trainer and spotting scope tripod when I upgrade to the rrs.

call rrs they are great people to deal with and give them your specific needs, as far as 3 section verses 4 it depends on the hight you need and the type of head. your height also plays into this 3 leg tripods also will be stiffer as others can give must more info than i. call rrs and discuss this with them they will make you a recommendation that will more than likely cover all your needs.

Which rrs tripod set up is best recommend?

I just figured we are talking a 1300+ dollar tripod in Canada when I can get the others for 400 ish. Not expecting them to be remotely equal but it does seem to be as light, can get down as low and thought it might make for a nice trainer and spotting scope tripod when I upgrade to the rrs.
You must really like supporting china

Reactions: djarecke

I was pretty sure manfrotto is made in Italy? Is it not okay for someone to try a slightly cheaper tripod for there first one, especially when 95% of my shooting is from prone and bench? Nrl/prs 22 is relatively new in Canada and just starting to expand so would like to try it out and then use a tripod for a spotting scope during normal range sessions. Just seems like 1300 is a lot of money if it’s main purpose is holding a spotting scope and a little coyote hunting doesn’t it?

If the prs 22 continues to expand, and more ranges in Ontario start doing centerfire prs then I’d be more then happy to drop whatever is needed for a proper set up in a tripod for just the rifle and have a second back up for my spotter.

Reactions: Cuban Croc
look at feisol not the 3342 like i have get the bigger one. i forget the number they are not a bad tripod and are carbon fiber and pick up a rrs head. look for one used off ebay you wont go broke and will be happy with it. diver has a article on here about them maybe he will chime in im not the greatest on finding old threads.

@Matt_3479, I have a Leofoto w/an Anvil. I really like this combination for my budget. I have a used AIAW with a used S&B. Buy the best you can within your budget. Leofoto (China), RRS (USA), AI (England), S&B (Germany) = Very Satisfied! I thought "shaming" was only for the Left.
😎
tempImageMMIyOy.jpg

I've seen some RRS tripods on eBay that were considerably less. I don't know enough about the models to know if they are tall enough or rated enough but I certainly understand not wanting to get a few grand into a tripod set up to try it out. That said, I do try to avoid china products.

I have a Leofoto and bought it a couple years ago. It works really good and I like it a lot. However, since then China has shown us what they are. While I already have my tripod, and will continue to use it, if I had to do it all over again, I would go RRS. The Leofoto is a straight up knock off of the RRS. Why not support the folks who do all of the RnD and invent the stuff and not the people who rip them off and unleash a freaking virus on the world.

any opinion between 3 section and 4 section leg rrs tripods? trying to pick between the two.

how tall are you?
the 3 section tripod is slightly more stable without the smaller section and extra joint, but being only 5'9", i don't need to use the lower section for shooting with the tripod legs all at the 1st position. the 4 section will get a little lower and a bit taller.
in the end, i chose the 4 section.

fixed vs versa?
since i was spending so much, i wanted as versatile a tripod as possible, so i went with versa so i could use a leveling base or center column later for photography or....(more likely whoever inherits it).
this did mean buying the anvil-30 adapter plate, but i also like the higher apex from the wider versa and didn't care about the bulkier size.

if you are 6' and only intend to shoot or spot off it, the tfc-33 is probably what you want.

@Matt_3479, I have a Leofoto w/an Anvil. I really like this combination for my budget. I have a used AIAW with a used S&B. Buy the best you can within your budget. Leofoto (China), RRS (USA), AI (England), S&B (Germany) = Very Satisfied! I thought "shaming" was only for the Left.
😎
View attachment 7512380
Nope I'm all for shaming anybody that supports the Chinese communist party. I have made the mistake of buying Chinese but I won't again unless there is no other option for that product. With what they have done lately I will do everything in my power to send as little of my money over there as I can. Supporting the left isn't nearly as bad as supporting the ccp

I’m looking for a multipurpose tripod.

<snip>

This tripods main purpose will be for hunting/spotting.

<snip>

figured I’m going need 2 tripods eventually if I do stick with it, keep one for spotter

What’s your thoughts?

I am going to suggest that you think about your statements, they make the case for the best tripod you can sneak out. Below are 3 simple things, you should consider

1. The reason tripods like the RRS 33/anvil are so coveted is their weight to stability ratio. This means they are ideal for hunting, especially animals that are ultra-aware like coyotes you mentioned, or in locations that are difficult to approach. Both of these cases generally dictate longer range hunting shots. Coupled with the fact that animal’s vitals do not increase in size with distance like most steel at the range, makes this far more important to shoot from something ultra-stable than many steel shooters and causal hunters realize.

2. For Hunting or field matches, if you go the RRS route, it no longer means you need to carry one tripod for your binos/spotter, tall sticks, and a bipod. The 4.5 lbs of the 33/anvil can serve as all those tools better as well as in a lighter all in carry weight. Multi-day high altitude pack hunters might consider reducing their shoot range as a trade-off for even a lighter RRS offering, but for me even packing, the 33 is the kit for me.

3. For PRS/NRL22 the weight of the tripod doesn't typically matter, and seldom are they shot from as standing front support; that is why you see people recommending 6lbs + tripod setups to save a few hundred $. If you go this route and are a hunter, eventually you'll most likely want a lighter tripod like the 33 later. It's not uncommon for people to go through 3 more tripods trying to save a couple hundred $$ and then buy the RRS; it's just not the cheap way to go or the most expedient to get to the best shot you can make.

In summary, the RRS 33/34 in its’ weight class, is one of the few things you can buy that will instantly increase your range when in the field with the same CEP, than just about anything else. Off a range and hunting, it is simply damn hard to beat.

If you can take the time to view this Tripod Tips and Tricks thread for Field shooting, I think you’ll find some value. - It's over 17,000 views
Videos at the bottom show the stability difference thru a scope via a traditional Manfrotto and the RRS-33

Here is a link to a bunch of Field tips and the main index

JIm

PS - all that said, not everyone can find the $$ for the RRS so you get the best you can.

Last edited:
A very professional response from RRS. I should have saved for a couple extra months and purchased a tripod from them. I love my Anvil and look forward to doing business with RRS in the future. Thank you.

A very professional response from RRS. I should have saved for a couple extra months and purchased a tripod from them. I love my Anvil and look forward to doing business with RRS in the future. Thank you.

That's what I ended up doing, worked a bit of ot at work and got the TFCT33/Anvil 30. Worth every penny imo. Should have just got it in the first place and cost me less in the long run.

I am going to suggest that you think about your statements, they make the case for the best tripod you can sneak out. Below are 3 simple things, you should consider

1. The reason tripods like the RRS 33/anvil are so coveted is their weight to stability ratio. This means they are ideal for hunting, especially animals that are ultra-aware like coyotes you mentioned, or in locations that are difficult to approach. Both of these cases generally dictate longer range hunting shots. Coupled with the fact that animal’s vitals do not increase in size with distance like most steel at the range, makes this far more important to shoot from something ultra-stable than many steel shooters and causal hunters realize.

2. For Hunting or field matches, if you go the RRS route, it no longer means you need to carry one tripod for your binos/spotter, tall sticks, and a bipod. The 4.5 lbs of the 33/anvil can serve as all those tools better as well as in a lighter all in carry weight. Multi-day high altitude pack hunters might consider reducing their shoot range as a trade-off for even a lighter RRS offering, but for me even packing, the 33 is the kit for me.

3. For PRS/NRL22 the weight of the tripod doesn't typically matter, and seldom are they shot from as standing front support; that is why you see people recommending 6lbs + tripod setups to save a few hundred $. If you go this route and are a hunter, eventually you'll most likely want a lighter tripod like the 33 later. It's not uncommon for people to go through 3 more tripods trying to save a couple hundred $$ and then buy the RRS; it's just not the cheap way to go or the most expedient to get to the best shot you can make.

In summary, the RRS 33/34 in its’ weight class, is one of the few things you can buy that will instantly increase your range when in the field with the same CEP, than just about anything else. Off a range and hunting, it is simply damn hard to beat.

If you can take the time to view this Tripod Tips and Tricks thread for Field shooting, I think you’ll find some value. - It's over 17,000 views
Videos at the bottom show the stability difference thru a scope via a traditional Manfrotto and the RRS-33

Here is a link to a bunch of Field tips and the main index

JIm

PS - all that said, not everyone can find the $$ for the RRS so you get the best you can.
Thank you for this incredibly informative information

I think the ProMediaGear tripod is better than the RRS or at least as good with a few better features.
Interesting you say that. They are nice for sure. You do need to get the 343L or Long version to use for n most people with binos all day. That’s just a couple inches shorter than the RRS 33 and a about a 1/4lbs heavier. It feel like a RRS with the Versa Apex, but they both don’t benefit from the compactness of the Anvil apex or the ultra light apex when folded. I shoot off one with a red apex on the PMG and thought that was a cool touch, but did not notice every it being better in anyway for shooting.

As someone who owned a Media Acquisition company, I’m the first to say there are many tripods, many setups costing 5 figures or more, and that some are better suited to the specific job they are designed for than the RRS 33.

There are also many heavier tripods, some cheaper, with super heavy ball heads that can provide a better pure shooting platform than the RRS-33; but these come at the expense of speed and versatility. Some like the 22-i might offer better deployment speeds for the pure PRS shooter or the 1 series (or accend) who might be the best thing on your pack but less stable to shoot a really long shot from without gobs of practice.

Few though, offer the small pack size, low weight to stability ratio of the RRS 33 with the ultra light (compact apex) that make it one of the most versatile for a shooter who might want to shoot matches all the way to packing to bring home an ELK.

The point is you need to be honest with yourself and figure what is the best for your uses. Because I shoot PRS and field matches, spend a lot of time scouting and hunting in the hills away from the truck, I gravitate toward the most versatile.

Trying to justify why you spent less on a tripod or more seems a common thread, almost like therapy on the hide. Like somehow putting in writing makes the justification worth it. Saying the best tripod is a Cartoni with pan tilt for $25,0000 means little unless the user lane is clearly defined. Hell the Cartoni Magnum would be a terrible idea to pack. Just as silly would be taking a 2lbs Roneli Sheep hunting and expect a stable shot.

Food fo thought, with most competition shooters 1,500 rounds in a barrel is about replacement time, with my 7mm hunting gun it’s like 1100-1200. If we take the average costs of chambering, muzzle threading, the barrel shipping and tax, plus coating or carbon your somewhere $1000 + or minus.

it takes a long time (a lot of shots) to get good on a less than ideal tripod. A box of ammo is around $30 way more if your getting a fancy hunting round.How many rounds do you think it takes to gain a ton of confidence on a less stable setup? Heck when I started on the o55s and slings it was maybe 500 before I felt really comfortable.

So, if we add the barrel wear and ammo cost per round you’ll shoot a $400 delta in under 200 shots and that is being conservative.

Tripod is one of the very few things that you can invest a few $ extra and shoot instantly better over the lesser alternative. As an example, my ZCO vrs my MK5s or even a PSTll doesn’t make smaller groups and there’s $2,500+ delta. Same with chassis and triggers and other stuff we freely buy. Lastly, not everyone “needs” a tripod, so rushing out to get a cheap one just to have can be silly.

Last edited:
Interesting you say that. They are nice for sure. You do need to get the 343L or Long version to use for n most people with binos all day. That’s just a couple inches shorter than the RRS 33 and a about a 1/4lbs heavier. It feel like a RRS with the Versa Apex, but they both don’t benefit from the compactness of the Anvil apex or the ultra light apex when folded. I shoot off one with a red apex on the PMG and thought that was a cool touch, but did not notice every it being better in anyway for shooting.

As someone who owned a Media Acquisition company, I’m the first to say there are many tripods, many setups costing 5 figures or more, and that some are better suited to the specific job they are designed for than the RRS 33.

There are also many heavier tripods, some cheaper, with super heavy ball heads that can provide a better pure shooting platform than the RRS-33; but these come at the expense of speed and versatility. Some like the 22-i might offer better deployment speeds for the pure PRS shooter or the 1 series (or accend) who might be the best thing on your pack but less stable to shoot a really long shot from without gobs of practice.

Few though, offer the small pack size, low weight to stability ratio of the RRS 33 with the ultra light (compact apex) that make it one of the most versatile for a shooter who might want to shoot matches all the way to packing to bring home an ELK.

The point is you need to be honest with yourself and figure what is the best for your uses. Because I shoot PRS and field matches, spend a lot of time scouting and hunting in the hills away from the truck, I gravitate toward the most versatile.

Trying to justify why you spent less on a tripod or more seems a common thread, almost like therapy on the hide. Like somehow putting in writing makes the justification worth it. Saying the best tripod is a Cartoni with pan tilt for $25,0000 means little unless the user lane is clearly defined. Hell the Cartoni Magnum would be a terrible idea to pack. Just as silly would be taking a 2lbs Roneli Sheep hunting and expect a stable shot.

The weight is a big deal and imo, that's what you are paying for with an rrs. I just think the PMG is the better all around value, mainly because of the features. The rrs is without a doubt excellent. I'm really interested in some Feisol models though as a lower cost low weight tri-pod that still offers good stability. I'd like to hear if you had any thoughts on that. A certain rather infamous poster here recommended them to me so I took that rec pretty seriously given his experience shooting on them vs mine.

The weight is a big deal and imo, that's what you are paying for with an rrs. I just think the PMG is the better all around value, mainly because of the features. The rrs is without a doubt excellent. I'm really interested in some Feisol models though as a lower cost low weight tri-pod that still offers good stability. I'd like to hear if you had any thoughts on that. A certain rather infamous poster here recommended them to me so I took that rec pretty seriously given his experience shooting on them vs mine.
Weight is a huge deal, depending on what you’re doing. Heck there was a flurry of guys running out and buying that 8lbs Innorel. Yep stable as hell, but a PITA away from your car. Seems that particular flurry has died.

That said the Feisol is very light and the tripod you mentioned is in the ballpark. Both are great especially if pack compactness is not at all a concern.

not sure you can see my signature but a bit of info on the RRS and Feisol is in the signature. I own a Feisol as well

Weight is a huge deal, depending on what you’re doing. Heck there was a flurry of guys running out and buying that 8lbs Innorel. Yep stable as hell, but a PITA away from your car. Seems that particular flurry has died.

That said the Feisol is very light and the tripod you mentioned is in the ballpark. Both are great especially if pack compactness is not at all a concern.

not sure you can see my signature but a bit of info on the RRS and Feisol is in the signature. I own a Feisol as well
I don't see what you're referring to but I'd like to know

If you're on mobile you might not see the signatures.

This is an old thread, but a good recap. If high-angle under time pressure, is not something you're dealing with and pack diameter is of no concern. Then it is very hard to beat the RRS TA-3 for stability to weight on either the Feilso 3372 or RRS 33. If all I was doing is shooting at ranges or in the flat parts of the country hands down this is still something to consider.

I did this thread is almost 3 years ago it but will give you the info you're looking for:

Here's one I did for the shooter spinup for our UKD Team Field Match. If you're new to shooting off tripods, shoot lightweight hunting magnums, and or, planning on shooting away from the truck where you might find angles and brush this is worth taking the time to read no matter what brand of tripod you have.

This is another very good option for shooting field matches with a wide FOF and wear target equation and speed between targets is key. This was written by @hic28 who knows what he is doing as part of our field match spinup:

It will take you a while to get through these threads, but probably worth some of your time. A lot of people offering training videos on tripods and do a good job but the lion share seem to just copy stuff done 10 years ago, missing some of the very small details that make a big difference in self-spotting especially if shooting light magnums, angeled FFPs and looking to set up quietly and quickly in the field.

I've been shooting off tripods before they were popular and when hunting people would look at me like an alien. I've made so many mistakes and spent thousands and thousands on landing where I am today. I've stolen things that I like from others over the years and take the time to write this crazy stuff in the hope of saving others time and money in the long game. Especially, if there going to shoot matches and hunt LR in the mountains with the same tripod.

Jim

Last edited:
Buy a used Manfrotto MT055CXPRO 3 OR 4 section on eBay.
Slap an RRS leveling head and ARCA clamp on it and get to practicing.
Long before the days of Feisol and RRS MOST of us were lucky to have a Manfrotto 055 in aluminium let alone carbon.
Folks here either don't remember or are to green to have experienced such primitive conditions.

Once you've gotten a decent familiarity with the Manfrotto, borrow a friend's RRS or Feisol tripod... You'll now the difference immediately, and in price too.

You can, or should be able to, shoot perfectly well with the Manfrotto... Anyone who says different is an idiot.
The more expensive, more modern rigs are definitely more stable, light and versatile.
Oh, and fuck the Chinese and anyone who sells knockoffs, regardless of origin.
As a patent holder & inventor on 15+ patents, that shit just pisses me off.

Learn how to shoot well, regardless of rests used, and then go spastic over gear....

If you're on mobile you might not see the signatures.

This is an old thread, but a good recap. If high-angle under time pressure, is not something you're dealing with and pack diameter is of no concern. Then it is very hard to beat the RRS TA-3 for stability to weight on either the Feilso 3372 or RRS 33. If all I was doing is shooting at ranges or in the flat parts of the country hands down this is still something to consider.

I did this thread is almost 3 years ago it but will give you the info you're looking for:

Here's one I did for the shooter spinup for our UKD Team Field Match. If you're new to shooting off tripods, shoot lightweight hunting magnums, and or, planning on shooting away from the truck where you might find angles and brush this is worth taking the time to read no matter what brand of tripod you have.

This is another very good option for shooting field matches with a wide FOF and wear target equation and speed between targets is key. This was written by @hic28 who knows what he is doing as part of our field match spinup:

It will take you a while to get through these threads, but probably worth some of your time. A lot of people offering training videos on tripods and do a good job but the lion share seem to just copy stuff done 10 years ago, missing some of the very small details that make a big difference in self-spotting especially if shooting light magnums, angeled FFPs and looking to set up quietly and quickly in the field.

I've been shooting off tripods before they were popular and when hunting people would look at me like an alien. I've made so many mistakes and spent thousands and thousands on landing where I am today. I've stolen things that I like from others over the years and take the time to write this crazy stuff in the hope of saving others time and money in the long game. Especially, if there going to shoot matches and hunt LR in the mountains with the same tripod.

Jim
If you're on mobile and want to see signatures, put your phone in landscape mode. They will show then.

Diver. Thanks for all of the awesome threads you've done.

Reactions: Diver160651
Buy a used Manfrotto MT055CXPRO 3 OR 4 section on eBay.
Slap an RRS leveling head and ARCA clamp on it and get to practicing.
Long before the days of Feisol and RRS MOST of us were lucky to have a Manfrotto 055 in aluminium let alone carbon.
Folks here either don't remember or are to green to have experienced such primitive conditions.

Once you've gotten a decent familiarity with the Manfrotto, borrow a friend's RRS or Feisol tripod... You'll now the difference immediately, and in price too.

You can, or should be able to, shoot perfectly well with the Manfrotto... Anyone who says different is an idiot.
The more expensive, more modern rigs are definitely more stable, light and versatile.
Oh, and fuck the Chinese and anyone who sells knockoffs, regardless of origin.
As a patent holder & inventor on 15+ patents, that shit just pisses me off.

Learn how to shoot well, regardless of rests used, and then go spastic over gear....
Yep, I remember that's the entire point. This learning to shoot off this old crap before you can shoot good stuff just doesn't make sense with the cost of ammo, time away from work and barrel ware $$. It's almost like some people want to prove how hard it used to be. Again, I've used the 055 and slings and shoot off them before tripod shooting was the rage, etc. So why would I recommend anyone to take the same path?

Remember the 055 was and in some places still used on soft targets relatively close that resemble Military E target (silhouette) -- the target zone is roughly 40"x19.5". It works fine for that type of large soft target. I mean let say at 400 you have a standing shot on the soft target that's almost 10MOA X 5MOA; totally doable. Just a quick note that a lot of the people providing overwatch are indeed out of the o55s or working the way that direction. Now enter PR match setting with today's targets and 90 seconds to bang out a few 2MOA and smaller targets, not so easy, use a sling and you timed out. Worse yet you have a stalk on an Elk on a steep hill 800 yards out and only have a few pressing moments to make the shot, your angular vertical target is about 10x smaller than your standard E target the o55 is measured against at about 1moa, before the wind or whatever else.

What is the true value in learning super slow legacy tripod stabilization skills like a foot sling, belt sling, arm sling or tripod wrap sling techniques that we used to use, for tripod shooting that doesn't use those today? You can learn most of all of those same outdated tripod sling shooting techniques off a T-post, fence post, tank trap etc.. for free. Or toss a CG on them and be even more efficient. Screw wasting hundreds of $$ and time learning something your just not going to use.

I call BS on anyone who shoots as well off a 055 standing (you must extend the center column) without spending hours and hours and gobs of money in ammo as you can off today's better setups. It's just the wrong advice to start learning legacy skills that aren't really going to be used today.

Here an image from maybe 4 years ago showing a standing group and another just the other day. I am not the best shot in the world but know the difference is huge.

example.jpg

Bottom left Standing tripod
kneeling.jpg

Here is kneeling the other day for a Kraft driven target-- just on a schmedium on top of the tripod (gun not attached to the tripod)

For those that might be lost as to why I am calling BS on the idea it's smart to start with the 055, take a look at a few simple stability examples I posted below. You tell me if it makes sense to start with something a hair shakey like a modern tripod or one we used 10+ years ago that's a f'n wet noodle.

I used the "old Gold Standard Manfrotto" without the extra stabilizing stuff like a sling and the same with the RRS and Anvil 30.

Just a dirty non-scientific look thru my night vision on my pest control PCP. Shown to show the difference in stability 350 yards at 14x NOTE that my match gun is way better balanced, heavier, and way less shaky in general.

I purposely mounted the gun and unmounted it without much technique to show how the vibration, the time it takes to settle or how wind might vibrate the gun. (remember wind causes a lot of issues with vibration.)

I ran 9 steps to show instability, both the same (times below are only for the RRS video)
1. Turned on to see how much vibration takes to settle. Please pay attention to the test in this area. All I did was press firmly on the scope's power button. I did not touch the gun in any other way..
2. Mounting gun, getting comfortable with NPA. 0:12 –o:15​
3a Moving to target - holding the tripod loaded on the target (note you can free recoil and be dead still on the target but I was purposely trying to show realistic shake if your loading the gun) 0:16-0:20​
3b Deciding on target 0:21-023​
3c Holding target 0:34-0:26​
4. On mounting the gun 0:27-0:29​
5. 1st of 2 Tapping HARD on the Buttstock sideways to show how long it takes to settle 0:30
6 2nd of 2 Tapping HARD on the Buttstock sideways to show how long it takes to settle 0:36
7 Mounting the Gun 0:40​
8a Moving to a new Target 0:41-0:46​
8b Setting on Target 0:47​
9. Un-mounting the gun 0:50​
RRS with Anvil 30 stability 1 of 3 comparing Manfrotto Takes 50 seconds to complete even taking extra time, not sure what I was really planning on doing. Also going super slow even though the gun settled.
RRS Anvil test​

RRS with Anvil 30 stability 2 of 3 comparing Manfrotto Takes 1:46 to complete.
Manfrotto with center column UP set to RRS Height. NOTE the first few seconds of this video as all I did was press the power button on the NV just like all three tests, holly smokes, there is a HUGE difference!!

RRS with Anvil 30 stability 2 of 3 comparing Manfrotto Takes 1:02 to complete
Manfrotto center column lowered all the way lower than RRS Height. Again, NOTE the first few seconds of this video as all I did was press the power button on the NV just like all three tests.

Note that the cheap carbon fiber tripod a lot of people are saying works just as good, was too close to the Manfrotto to warrant posting

Last edited:
Reactions: McMillan