• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Help with purchase Savage 10FP-SR or rem 700 5r

Wheelsonly

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Sf Bay area
Looking into a .308 there are two guns for sale in interested in listed below which one would be the better purchase or should I build a large frame ar

Savage 10FP-SR
chambered in 308
HS Precision A2 Kevlar stock
22" Heavy Barrel factory threaded 5/8-24 with thread protector
1/10 twist
Accu-trigger
4 round detachable box magazine
EGW 0MOA picatinny rail
Caldwell 6-9 bipod
Comes with original box and owner’s manual
Brand New never fired. Asking price is 850.00 unfired

The other is a
Rem. 700 24 inch with a 5r unfired asking price is 1200

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 17
YMMV, but I have had only good luck with Savages. And, in your case, looks like you're getting A LOT for your money with the 10FP v. the Remmy.

Roll with the savage. I've own both, and like both but love the ability to change barrels on my savages.

Yes, but the Remington also has an HS Precision stock and a stainless action. If you need a threaded barrel I would recommend that you hold out for the 20" Remington. I wouldn't be so ecstatic about a Caldwell bipod or 0 MOA base. Most guys on here use a 20 MOA base to help reach out a little further. The only advantage the Savage has is the DBM and we don't even know if its made by a reputable manufacturer.

Ford or Chevy,Mayo or Miracle whip,its just personal taste savage will leave you money to buy ammo , reloading equipment or optic..They both will shoot great

For the two you have listed I think the Savage is the better deal. 2/3rds the price which leaves a bit for ammo, optics, etc. the bipod and base will serve until you can acquire something more to your liking.

For the price of the Savage you could buy a Criterion barrel in .260, 6.5Creedmoor etc and have a multicaliber setup for less money.

I'd buy the least expensive Savage and throw on a good pre fit Savage barrel and you will be better off compared to buying the 5R...the 5R isn't worth $1,200...I paid $800 for mine a few years ago and it wasn't worth $800 compared to my Savage with Shilen Select Match barrel. My Savage has outshoot the 5R that I owned.

I'd go with the Savage. Nothing against the Remington, but the Savage will get you more bang for your buck.

Since it already has the DBM you would just need to contact Dan at Darkeagle Custom, Inc. to get on the list for his 10 round mags ($100). I have two and have never had an issue in any of the competitions I've used them. Accu-trigger's are nice for bench and F-Class, but for Tactical matches I replaced mine with a Rifle Basix ($100) and couldn't be happier. If later on you decide you want to try one of the popular 6.5mm cartridges (.260 Rem or 6.5 Creedmoor) you can swap out the barrel ($350) for a nice Shilen, Criterion, Krieger, ect in about 20-30 minutes. Bolt face and magazines are same as .308Win. If you want DBM on the Remington you're looking at another $200-$300 on top of the $1200.

Having owned both, I'll say two things:
If you want great out of the box accuracy, go with the Savage.
If you want decent out of the box accuracy, but the ability to play "Legos" with your rifle, go with the Remmy.

There are many aftermarket options for Savages these days, but still nothing like it is for a Remington.

As already stated, the cool thing with Savage is the ability to screw on your own barrel. You can swap cartridges rather quickly.