hesse fn fal

Re: hesse fn fal

Only caveat would be...PRICE.

If you find a complete Hesse rifle for at or under $500...I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat. Discard the POS Hesse receiver if its out of spec, rebuild the kit on a DSA or Coonan. Some of those early rifles were built up with primo kits because the kits were plentiful and cheap. An STG kit ran $199 around that time...now the damn kits are pushing $700 alone. Funny thing about the FAL platform is that its usually worth way more as parts than complete. A Hesse or Century receiver will really depress the value of a rifle that would otherwise fetch much more because of its constituent parts.

Hesse/Vulcan/Whatever-They-Call-Themselves-Today rifles have a well deserved reputation for being the industries worst, with Century a very close second.

I have trigger time on various FAL platform rifles, and the difference in quality between the high end FN and DSA rifles and the low end junk is shocking.

One rifle I fired had serious issues due to the thread timing on the barrel being cocked off so far that at 100 yards it would shoot twelve inches to one side....That particular piece of hardware came from Century Arms....

Hesse's Aluminum FAL receivers have been known to let loose in rather unpleasant ways ( I have not actually seen this myself, but have seen pictures of this occurrence - I just checked on DSA's site, but I cannot find the pictures that were there last year.)

They are the premiere crap-merchant.
They go by a different name now.
Capitalism should have dealt them a death blow a long time ago.

They're in business because too many folks want to spend the least amount of money, and not do any research.

If it were for display purposes then I'd say "think about it", otherwise don't do it.

I had a Hesse AK47 come into my old shop that the guy said wouldn't hit consistantly. I figured it was him till I looked at the muzzle and noticed that the 74 brake they had mig welded to the muzzle was cocked and bullets were hitting it so hard it had bent the end of the brake into an oval. Quality!