• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

HH Kehner Winchester Pre-64 H&H 300 engraved

Marplot

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2024
Atlanta GA
I was recently was able to acquire a HH Kehner Winchester Pre-64 300 H&H mag. Engraved and carved. Serial # is 406*** which I think is 1957. Want to know more about it. it has a 4-10 Nickel scope with a claw mount. I think it has drilled and tapped places for a Picatinny if I remove the claw mounts. Probably just shoot it for a while.
P1090791.JPG

Attachments

• P1090799.JPG
    P1090799.JPG
    257.8 KB · Views: 52
The word "picatinny" and this rifle is not compatible.
Not sure what you mean? I am much more familiar with the claw mounts.

There seem to be screws in the top of the receiver and underneath the rear claw mount. But I am new to this, could be wrong, but looks like a rail could be attached. But for now, I am keeping it authentic. Recknagel has claw base mounts that can hold a Picatinny. I can also use the iron sights with the scope detached.

Attachments

• IMG_3368.jpg
    IMG_3368.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Not sure what you mean? I am much more familiar with the claw mounts.

There seem to be screws in the top of the receiver and underneath the rear claw mount. But I am new to this, could be wrong, but looks like a rail could be attached. But for now, I am keeping it authentic. Recknagel has claw base mounts that can hold a Picatinny. I can also use the iron sights with the scope detached.

The holes/screws are there for attaching the claw mounts.. like others have said please don't mess up a gorgeous example of a rifle by removing the claw mounts and trying to put a pic. rail on there.

Posting this in the vintage section as mentioned will likely net you some more nuanced responses and interest.

Reactions: Marplot
If you want a new scope on this rifle, get a scope that can be mounted as low as possible with new "rings" in the original claw mount bases. One of the new low powered tactical scopes, 1-8x24 with straight objective tube, is perfect for this. The new scope has to be long enough to just reach the claw base on the barrel.
This is a job for a real gunsmith.

Edit: A Recknagel picrail mounted in the claw bases is not drop in. It still needs to be fitted by a real gunsmith at the same cost. A scope mounted in rings on this rail is going to be way too high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Marplot
I shot it yesterday and I like it as it was made. The glass is clear and very sharp. Keeping it authentic. Really amazed by the soft recoil. I was using 4350 64gr, Hornady BTHP Matchking 168gr, Norma brass (new). 2" group at 100yds. I think I can do better. The iron sights work perfectly with the claw mounts.

Reactions: TorF