• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

High Angle (Mountain) Snipers

RM_Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2010
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Im a Royal Marine Sniper, coming across to do the high angle (mountain) snipers course with the USMC at the mountain warfare training center.

Anyone any experience with this course? Me and the lads who are coming across have been pretty much kept in the dark and given a very basic training programme. Just want to know what to expect really.

Thanks, Any information would be nice.

Re: High Angle (Mountain) Snipers

Make sure you have a low speed high drag drink container.
(ie. French Camelback)

douche.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tazman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geez...you guys are hard on the Canadians. I believe they do have the longest shot right now???????</div></div>

Where did you come up with the guy is Canadian? His profile says he's in the United Kingdom and the last time I checked a world map, Canada is nowhere near the UK.

131737d1265499440-funny-strange-random-pics-geography.jpg

I wasn't a sniper but I did attend the Mountain Warfare "Rock Package" as well as the "Cold Weather" package. Not sure what the sniper course entails but be prepared for long humps at high altitude (upwards of 9000 feet in elevation). Its beautiful country but the place can be very unforgiving.

If the sniper course is anything like any of the other courses taught up there you'll be spending most of your time in the field.

Let us know if they still have the shitters without stalls lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tazman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geez...you guys are hard on the Canadians. I believe they do have the longest shot right now???????</div></div>

Where did you come up with the guy is Canadian? His profile says he's in the United Kingdom and the last time I checked a world map, Canada is nowhere near the UK.

131737d1265499440-funny-strange-random-pics-geography.jpg
</div></div>

Nice map!!!

Anyway, unless this is wrong, the Brits holds the record for the longest sniper kill http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longest_recorded_sniper_kills

He's a Royal marine Sniper, so I expect he's already been to Norway and Scotland and is familiar with hills and rocks.

Get on cabela's website and buy yourself a good hunting lazer rangefinder that is accurate to 800 or 1200 yards. I am sure that you already have training in range estimation with a map, bino reticles, and other more traditional methods. Military lazers, which you may or may not have are bulky. A good Nikon one (or two, to have a spare) are a great investment.
Once you know the length of the hypotenuse (c) of the right triangle, and determine the angle of the downward(B), the angle of the dangle) or upward slope (A)the calculation of the horizontal distance (b) as well as the verticle (a) will be a simple geometric calculation. Don't sweat not having a textbook in advance. All will be provided and taught in a classroom as well as through practical application. (C) will always be 90 degrees.
How about you contact the school via EMail or phone and tell them you would like to get at least the formulas to practice on?
You could hopefully also go to a local high school, in uniform, and find a hot, single female geometry teacher and explain you and the RM need her help in protecting her and the Kingdom from barbaric enemies, foreign and domestic, since you guys can work in your own back yards.
Just tell her "c" is known, and the angle between "c" and "a" (B)is known (you will be provided with a tool to give you the degree of the slope) and that you need to know the length of "b".
the length of the hypotenuse (c) and the angle between "c" and "a" (B) will give you the length of "b" (the horizontal) for a downward shot. Gravity only works for the "b" distance, so that is your range for the shot, not "c" (The actual distance).
I bet she sits real close to you and teaches you everything you need to know.
In fact, if you went to you C.O. and told him your problem, and that you needed to go hunting for a hot female geometry teacher he likely would give you a couple days off.
i'm so obsolete and rusty I won't attempt it now, but all will be made clear at the school, at the latest. go hit on a geometry teacher, get schooled, and hopeful get a date. At worst you'll come out of it smarter.
I could rack my brain for the formulas, but I have't dealt with this in over 20 years since i left the Scout Sniper Profession, and a couple decades of drugs, alcohol and untreated syphilis have left my brain a swiss cheese.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Yeticowboy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 350 dollar bushnell will calculate the angle for you. But always good to know the math, shit breaks from time to time. </div></div>
It calculates and gives you the horizontal (b) distance, not the actual angle, right?
and if you change the function it will give the true distance, correct?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I could rack my brain for the formulas, but I have't dealt with this in over 20 years since i left the Scout Sniper Profession, and a couple decades of drugs, alcohol and untreated syphilis have left my brain a swiss cheese.
</div></div>

You're thinking of the Pythagorean Theorum. It's the law that applies for triangles, and is the one used for calculating an unknown distance with angle

The formula for it is a(squared)+b(squared)=c(squared)

And additional bit of info is that a triangle will have no more than 180 degrees in the interior.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You're thinking of the Pythagorean Theorum. It's the law that applies for triangles, and is the one used for calculating an unknown distance with angle

And additional bit of info is that a triangle will have no more than 180 degrees in the interior. </div></div>
No, not the Pythagorean theorum. I'm not looking for c, I'm looking for b, and already know c, and B. Or in the case of the inevitable uphill shots he will be making, I already know c and A. C is always 90 degrees.
I can't remember the formulas I used, and my old logbooks with my formulas are in a couple footlockers remote from me right now along with my Ghillie suits and drapes and other gear.
My great joy at our King's Birthday today, and the stellar success of his job creation and today's positive impact on the Stockmark has brought me to such a ecstatic state of being that I am unable to....calculate shit right now.
How come nobody ever told me i would be using Algebra everyday now, like I do, and how useful geometry and Trig would be!
We know c and B, and even A (180 -(B+90) = A But not a, and are looking for b, which is the distance we need.
I still say he should screw a female geometry teacher. I would if I was him. I think that's the best answer to his question. Fuck a teacher and gain enlightenment.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donttrytorun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmaHeavy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

And additional bit of info is that a triangle will have no more than 180 degrees in the interior. </div></div>
No, not the Pythagorean theorum. I'm not looking for c, I'm looking for b, and already know c, and B. Or in the case of the inevitable uphill shots he will be making, I already know c and A. C is always 90 degrees.
I can't remember the formulas I used, and my old logbooks with my formulas are in a couple footlockers remote from me right now along with my Ghillie suits and drapes and other gear.
My great joy at our King's Birthday today, and the stellar success of his job creation and today's positive impact on the Stockmark has brought me to such a ecstatic state of being that I am unable to....calculate shit right now.
How come nobody ever told me i would be using Algebra everyday now, like I do, and how useful geometry and Trig would be!
We know c and B, and even A (180 -(B+90) = A But not a, and are looking for b, which is the distance we need.
I still say he should screw a female geometry teacher. I would if I was him. I think that's the best answer to his question. Fuck a teacher and gain enlightenment. </div></div>

ArmaHeavy is correct...

pythag_thm.gif

If you want to solve for b, the formula will be

b = sqrt( c^2 - a^2 )

Guys, to clear up all this math stuff, just go HERE The key page being that on Trig. But the other stuff's good too.
And if you want some handy tools, aside from Mildot Masters, which don't need batteries THESE come in handy.

As to some info on the school, google's your friend. There was a good article in Outside magazine on the MWTC many years back as well, & it's available online.

You will like that course. I did it back in 2003. If you have any specific questions gear, what type of shooting and for how many days pm me.

Chuck

The Pythagorean Theorum works, but there is a lot less math involved if you just post a Cosine table to your data book.

Figure the angle to your target, find the cosine of that angle, multiply it times the distance.

With the Pythagorean Theorum you need to know how high you are above the target, with the cosine method you don't, you just need the angle, you can get that with your compass.

Badshot,

I've never seen or used one of those puppies, but if it works like they say, then Yes, I think it would work just fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AMTeam4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be prepared to read 20+ mph wind at R Mountain. The wind there can play some serious voodoo at times.
Snag a good spotter as a partner.
</div></div>
That's for sure, especially at this time of year. As if wind at altitude isn't enough, you got it going in different directions at different distances, as well as up and downdrafts where it swirls around, over, and across terrain, and unpredictable updrafts when the sun heats up the ground. Long shots at small targets, like a head and shoulder behind a rock, are always fun under those conditions.

What's that little protractor with the level on it that the spotter/team leader lays alongside the rifle reciever that shows the angle up or down while the sniper is aiming, and that gives you the slope angle up or down? We didn't have them in my day, the 80s, but I did use a plastic school supply one I bought at Woolworth's to do it then (nobody told us about thta, I just figured out out myself that it was a useful item). The one they use now is much better quality. i saw it used briefly on a video about S/S school at LeJeune, and recognized it for what it was, very handy.

Donttrytorun, were you referring to a Slope Doper? http://snipercountry.com/InReviews/SlopeDoper.asp
Or did you mean the built in "protractor" for measuring angles, on the flip side of Mildot Masters? I think both are akin the the ACI/Horus's version there of, in that no batteries are required, & they're quick to use. Plus, with any luck, they'll keep the electronics "honest" when doing the math on angled shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jean Lafitte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Donttrytorun, were you referring to a Slope Doper? http://snipercountry.com/InReviews/SlopeDoper.asp
Or did you mean the built in "protractor" for measuring angles, on the flip side of Mildot Masters? I think both are akin the the ACI/Horus's version there of, in that no batteries are required, & they're quick to use. Plus, with any luck, they'll keep the electronics "honest" when doing the math on angled shooting. </div></div>
That's the thing! Thank you for your response. This Limey Sniper should definately get one, if they aren't issued at the school. He'll still have to do the Trig, either on a calculator or on paper, or he could cheat and carry tables with him.
Those brittle plastic school supply ones I used, without a indicator requiring me to estimate where horizontal line was, were very prone to breaking on a stalk. Both of us therefore carried one, in the hopes one would survive until we needed it. That is a much more robust item.
I appreciate you stepping up with that post.

Cheers guys, were all sorted with laser range finders and mil-dot masters and ive been doing my own pythagorean theorem homework, looks like ill just have shoot tight and apply myself and I should be fine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RM_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cheers guys, were all sorted with laser range finders and mil-dot masters and ive been doing my own pythagorean theorem homework, looks like ill just have shoot tight and apply myself and I should be fine. </div></div>
What rifles are you guys using now? Do you train without LRFs in the school and garrison there? Are you dating a Geometry or Trig teacher yet?
I got a Enfield N04T in almost mint condition with all appropriate stock cartouches. The wood has no scars, or blemishes, or stains whatesoever. It has the origional trigger, which sucks.

Here's a table of cosines, from NASA no less!
Print that fucker and laminate it. The cosine of the angle from your sloper doper x the lazed or estimated distance = the distance to set on the sights.
Now all he'll have to worry about is a badger crawling up his ass. They can be a nuisance.