• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

HK SL-8 Opinions

mcm308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2008
Bloomfield, NJ
I never really liked this rifle until I was able to play with one. It had good feel and was deadly accurate. I'm looking into purchasing one of these and would like some opinions from people that have some real trigger time with them. Pro's and cons ? Etc, etc..

Re: HK SL-8 Opinions

They're ok but I don't care much for the trigger, magazine (limited capacity, uncommon, expensive), or thumbhole stock (hard to flip the safety without takeing your hand off the grip).

SL8s are great if you want one for a G36 project or just want something exotic, but if you just want a straight shooting semiauto .223 you're much better off with an AR build.

From my experiences with the SL8-1:

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Pros</span>
HK Reliability/Dependability
Sub-MOA Capable Accuracy

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Cons</span>
1) Cost
2) Limited-capacity mags (without doing a conversion)
3) Cost of Limited-capacity mags
4) Ergonomics (this is a matter of personal choice/preference and HIGHLY subjective)
5) Appearance (also personal choice/preference and HIGHLY subjective)
6) Lack of adjustability/accessories/aftermarket support (except for conversions)
7) Difficulty of working on the SL8-1 platform
8) Parts (lack of, cost of, no aftermarket support)
9) Hit and Miss warranty service (my experience has always been positive, but there have been a TON of complaints about HK USA's service/support in the last few years)

I personally really like the rifle and what it is capable of out of the box. If you like it, don't plan to do anything to it but optics, etc., and don't mind the costs of mags, etc....then go for it. Same holds true if you want to build up a G36 conversuon. If you want the cheaper cost, availability, adjustability, modularity, etc., etc. of an AR-15...buy or build an AR-15.

It is all a matter of preference/personal choice, but they are nice rifles for what they are.

Ditto on what ORD said--

Get behind an SL8 before you sink the coin on it--I could never get a good repeatable position behind one due to the stock.

If you want accurate, modular, and affordable, then go with an AR-based platform. If you want real HK and the above,then wait for the MR 556.

If you want the HK "experience" (that steady push when firing and relative indestructability of the older HKs), then get an HK 9_ series with a good Williams Trigger job.

I shoot both 308 variants--
1) I have a highly reconfigured SR9T that shoots right below MOA (and it cost about $2K in options to improve the ergonomics for shooting (KAC RAS forend with Atlas bipod, reconfigured MSG90 stock, major trigger upgrades off the existing PSG1 pack, and a semi-custom optics pack that may still need tweaking).
2) I shoot an LWRC REPR that is stock--and it shoots much better than the HK out of the box with all ammo types.

Being honest, my SR9T has absolutely no advantages over the other rifles I fire. But, its a lot like the old M1s--there is just something about shooting them well that makes the effort worthwhile.

Steve

I bought an H&K SL8-1 almost a year ago and I recently got a scope mounted on it and i absolutely love it. It was my first gun and I didnt really know what to expect from it but I got a decent price for it. First time I shot it, I was able to get sub moa groupings at 100 & 200 yards (I know it really isnt much of a test but it was my first time shooting a scoped rifle), and I didnt really use any expensive ammo at all either. I was using some unknown brand ammo (my grandpa gave them to me so they are quite old) and I expect it to be some sort of 55gr surplus ammo. Like others had said, many dont like the thumbhole stock because its for smaller hands and the trigger is a little heavy. For me, since this is my first gun, I cant tell if its a good or a bad trigger but I knew off the bat that I would have liked a lighter trigger. I also dont have a problem with the thumbhole stock due to my small hands. I do want to work on the trigger but there isnt a real official and set way to work on the trigger. I also really like how easy it is to clean that thing. If you do look into buying one in the near future, make sure that you get an aluminum optics rail like the G36c rail because I have the long polymer rail and the person I went to mount the scope on for me said that he couldnt set the rings at the preferred torque because the rings would "smash/indent" the rail and kind of ruin it. Also, if you havent already, look at hkpro.com for more info on it. There are tons of people with some nice looking converted SL8/G36 with tons of knowledge about it. There is usually an SL8-1 (the gray one) going for around $1200-$1400 with maybe a few extra accessories. If you want the SL8-6 (the black one) then it will cost you around $1800-$2000. Once in a while you can find the SL8-1 for like $1000, which is a damn good price. Hope this helps...

The ergonomics with the factory stock are terrible. Putting on a pistol grip stock makes the trigger feel like half the weight, although the plastic material makes it feel a bit mushy like the USP trigger. I am happy with the accuracy considering how light weight the rifle is. It is comparable to a nice gas piston AR with a PRS stock, just different. If you are on a budget, buy an old grey one and dye it black. They are mechanically the same.
PSG8.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: virulosity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The ergonomics with the factory stock are terrible. Putting on a pistol grip stock makes the trigger feel like half the weight, although the plastic material makes it feel a bit mushy like the USP trigger. I am happy with the accuracy considering how light weight the rifle is. It is comparable to a nice gas piston AR with a PRS stock, just different. If you are on a budget, buy an old grey one and dye it black. They are mechanically the same.
PSG8.jpg
</div></div>

I must have more info on that stock set up !
laugh.gif

I believe the stock is from Tom Bostic http://www.myspace.com/tommybuilt look at his pics for more info, or go to hkpro.com as he has a couple for sale currently. I am currently putting my rifle together which has the same stock now im just waiting for my NF mount to come in, then I will post pics. And yes the sl8-6 is reinforced to prevent cracking, although the cracks that can develop on the sl8-1 are purely cosmetic.

That is indeed a Bostic setup. I have not used any of his G36 coversion parts, but I have used some of his USC/UMP stuff and it is all first-rate! Not cheap, but very nice! Check out the forums over at HKPRO.COM for more info on Tom's work and some other great pics!