• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hodgdon closes Black Powder plant

Unopened can from bygone days.
Hopefully Swiss bp will still be available.
CD2682D7-8342-4DAE-82DF-5E6ED75DD058.jpeg

Reactions: Jack's Dad
This is from another article..

“For muzzleloader hunters, this is not the end of the world. There are still a lot of black powder substitutes available on the market. Hodgdon still makes Pyrodex, Triple Seven, and Blackhorn 209, available in both powder and pellet form. The company said the GOEX closure would not impact the production of any of their other product lines, including black powder substitutes.”

About the only thing I can occasionally find near me is Triple Seven.

I use fffg goex for my flintlock rifle. Last time I bought any was a decade ago where I went in halvsies with a guy…those 15 pounds lasted me ten years and now I need more….fuck fuck fuckity fuck

BP substitutes suck. Never saw any that would ignite as easily or as consistently as black powder.
Any that would argue that point could never explain why even back in the 80’s, BP had to be kept in a fireproof safe, and the subs could sit on the shelf where kids could eat it and people could flick cigarette ashes into it.
I only hunt with it and fire a few rounds a year, so I’ve got enough for a couple/few years.:(

I have always used the black powder alternatives. Work fine, don't have to carry a coin purse... no complaints.

What else uses black powder? Just muzzle loaders? If that's the only market - and given the season is like 2 weeks in most places - not surprised this plant is closing. Repurpose it to make smokeless powder and primers or something.

So by that analogy, we don’t need much smokeless powder either as hunting season is not very long. There are a large number of folks who shoot muzzle loading pistols, rifles, and canons year round. While I am stuck mainly using triple seven, I prefer real black powder.

Reactions: Basher
I have always used the black powder alternatives. Work fine, don't have to carry a coin purse... no complaints.

What else uses black powder? Just muzzle loaders? If that's the only market - and given the season is like 2 weeks in most places - not surprised this plant is closing. Repurpose it to make smokeless powder and primers or something.
Know how I know you did not bother to read the article?

This last remaining commercial scale black powder factory in the United States produces GOEX and Olde Eynsford brands of black powder, which are highly regarded by competitive and recreational shooters, re-enactors, and muzzleloading hunters, as well as fireworks manufacturers,” the release says. “GOEX black powder also propels the model rocket motors of sister company Estes Industries, the leading model rocket brand, and supports the needs of the US Military.

Substitutes are OK in some things, but you are not going to get a Flint lock to ignite a substitute. My blunderbuss disapproves of these shenanigans

i saw a guy on youtube using some kind of substitute for his flintlock….not in the pan. there was one hell of a delay between the pan and the main charge….and i want no part of that. the shit i saw him doing, looked like a fantastic way to develop a really bad flinch.

The delay happens for one main reason on a flintlock, but the other reason was probably the 4F powder trying to light the substitute. You don't want too much powder in the Pan and you want it away from the touch hole not next to it. Ignition time is greatly reduced.

First, glad to see it reopening. Good for muzzle loading enthusiasts and good for Louisiana.

Site has a pretty interesting history. Operated between 1942 and 1993 as an ammunition plant. It is a massive facility and close to the range where Jerry Miculek lives and trains.

Following closure, fairly massive amounts of explosives have been left. Private companies engaged in the removal and disposal went bankrupt leaving a proverbial mess. Finally, millions of pounds of M6 propellant were removed to a plant at Colfax, Louisiana as it was the only site in Louisiana that can burn unwanted explosives without environmental controls. At the time, it was quite a controversy.

Once as a teenager, I applied to work there. Being 18 was not old enough and they turned me down. Probably it was a good thing.

Louisiana Army Ammunition Plant

The delay happens for one main reason on a flintlock, but the other reason was probably the 4F powder trying to light the substitute. You don't want too much powder in the Pan and you want it away from the touch hole not next to it. Ignition time is greatly reduced.

i dont have issues with delay in my flintlocks….usually. my frizzen died, and i started having issues with ignition, and delevoped a big flinch from it. i still struggle in getting that back under control when shooting the flinter, even though i got the ignition issue under control.