• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hodgdon Powder Shortage

hogfarmcaptain

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2019
A buddy of mine sent me this link yesterday. Sounds like it’s going to be awhile before we can consistently find powder.

Guys, I hate to even show this, but you have to start getting ahead of this shortage stuff and be proactive when the stuff does come available! I got so sick of scrounging for powder, I just made an investment for the next year or so worth of powder when it became available.
IMG_20200219_120425057.jpg

In reality the first Obama supplies rush should have taught us a lesson.
Before that it was cheap powder and primers all day.
Reloader supplies has been difficult ever since.
I certainly changed my buying habits.
It has also spawned some excellent hodgdon alternatives.

Free haz mat with shooters world powders at mid south
^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^ For those that are pining for Varget, the Shooters world "Precision" powder looks like a very good Varget substitute.
A couple of articles on the subject:

http://www.mssblog.com/2018/05/18/new-shooters-world-precision-extruded-propellant-part-2/

I have enough Varget to get by, but If I was out, I would jump on the Precision powder from midsouth. Free hazmat and a little cheaper than Varget.

Last edited:
Guys, I hate to even show this, but you have to start getting ahead of this shortage stuff and be proactive when the stuff does come available! I got so sick of scrounging for powder, I just made an investment for the next year or so worth of powder when it became available.
View attachment 7253667
You shop like I do... I buy atleast x12 8lbers at a time if it's a powder I use.

I have tried Shooters World powder. I found it left a lot to be desired. With SMK 69gr, I tried 21, 21.5, and 22gr of precision for 223. 2129, 2145, and 2215 ft/s. Granted that's from a 16" barrel, but 22gr of H335 gets me 2407 ft/s and Win748 24gr gets me 2476. (God that short barrel robs me of so much velocity). SW match at least got me into the 2400s but 23.5gr got me case head separation.

Was the powder bad? Was it the case (I didnt see anything before and Lake City brass is good)? I don't know. But the lower velocities didn't do it for me.

My 69 gr. SMK load using Varget is 25.0 grains. H335 is a faster burning powder, of course it takes less powder. Shooters World 5.56 reloading data shows a max charge of 26.6 grs. for 2900 fps. You weren't using enough precision powder. Not the powder's fault, you weren't using enough.

I seen this on Hodgdon IG page a few weeks back. Very generic answers that don’t explain the reason for the shortages.
Has to be more to it.
Even if the powders start hitting shelves wen they say, folks will snatch up every drop that day. Continuing the drought for months to years to come.
This is Obama shortage 2.0 but it will be worse. If trump looses x1000

Hodgdon is pretty weaselly when asked about supply, at least in my experience over the last 10 or so years. I began looking at the ADI sourced (Australia) powders starting a couple of year's ago and found some interesting facts.

The powders mentioned are all manufactured by ADI (owned by Thales wHich is a French Co. I believe) in Australia, as is IMR 8208XBR and imported and distributed by Hodgdon. The powder manufacturers primary clients are military arsenals or ammunition manufacturers fulfilling military contracts. ADI has been working on plant replacement of damaged facilities and upgrading some of their processes. This is at least part of the issues. There is also an issue with many of these powders not being REACH compliant for import into the EU so some processes are probably being changed over to produce more environmentally acceptable powders (i.e. such as IMR 4166, etc), As far as I can determine none of the ADI powders are REACH compliment so who knows what will become of the existing products.

View attachment 7253667
E9F21EBA-936B-42CE-8686-EA28ACA14F91.jpeg

Im right there with you!

I bet in February of 2021 they will say the same thing
View attachment 7253667
This X 2

As was said in some other thread just recently, don’t wait until your winter slow season to buy your powder! Buy during the summer when it is more readily available and buy what you need for a year. Then buy again next time it’s available and you can afford it. I learned this early in the Obama years and it works.

Blame Hodgdon all you want, but every year at this time I see the same tired old thread bitching about powder supply. It’s a cycle! Use it to your advantage and stop bitchin’ already. ??

Reactions: MACHTECH
Hodgdon doesn't actually manufacture powder. They market and re-label North American (Alliant, IMR, and St. Marks) and import product (ADI-Thales and others).
Actually, since Hodgdon now owns IMR, they actually do manufacture some of their own powder if you want to get technical, but most of the favorite rifle powders for our purposes are manufactured by ADI and rebranded.

I learned my lesson with .22 ammo during the Obama years. Over the last few years I bought whenever I found deals between $0.03-0.06/rd, always a few thousand rounds at a time to make shipping worth it. Shouldn’t run out of .22 with my current stockpile of CCI Mini-Mags, CCI SV, and Federal AutoMatch...at least not until my son is old enough to roam the woods with his own rimfire...

Now I just need to learn the same damn lesson when it comes to powder. ? I’m down to my last two pounds of H4350.

My 69 gr. SMK load using Varget is 25.0 grains. H335 is a faster burning powder, of course it takes less powder. Shooters World 5.56 reloading data shows a max charge of 26.6 grs. for 2900 fps. You weren't using enough precision powder. Not the powder's fault, you weren't using enough.
Hm, in the same section, it lists .223 SMK 69gr as 18-24.4 grains precision powder. 21-22 puts me right in the middle of it.

Actually, since Hodgdon now owns IMR, they actually do manufacture some of their own powder if you want to get technical, but most of the favorite rifle powders for our purposes are manufactured by ADI and rebranded.

Hodgdon does not manufacture IMR powders. They are manufactured in Canada by General Dynamics at a plant in Valleyfield. Hodgdon owns the rights to sell IMR, Winchester and Hodgdon branded powders in the United states. The IMR powders are sourced through the Canadian plant. Look at most of the IMR powder labels. Most of them will say "Made in Canada"

I believe the only powder they manufacture are the Pyrodex powders.

As said earlier, 8208XBR is an Australian ADI powder.

Reactions: Doom and sinister
I agree with buying what you need for the year or even a little more. Nobody wants to be out of powder or primers. But hoarding enough powder that will last you 4 years or enough that you might not ever use is BS.

View attachment 7253667
I know, I know, "Necropost" 💀 But...
This is "a year or so" supply for you? That's like 28,000 rounds with my current load. HFS