• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hog it out? - UPDATED 31 DEC w. .35 MOA result!

boltstop

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 17, 2010
Colorado, USA
Hey team.

My Rem 700 SPS stock is touching the barrel, which I find annoying. I will be getting a B&C Light Tactical here in a month or two, and perfecting some hand loads, but tomorrow I'm shooting with friends so I'd like to get an opinion before I break out with the sandpaper.

The stock is that junky black plastic flex-o-matic that Remington afflicts gun owners with, and it has two pads on the fore-end, presumably on which the barrel rests (who the heck would make such a design after 1930?). Should I shave them puppies off to free-float?

Re: Rem 700 SPS stock touching barrel - Hog it out?

I would... But be aware, since that stock is so flexible you may have to really remove some material. Even from the channel. Otherwise, resting it on a bipod may cause it to flex to the point it touches even with the tabs removed. I've heard some will install some sort of rod to stiffen it after you remove the tabs and that will work too. FWIW...

That stock (had one) is so flexible, if you grind off those pads (I tried), it will just flex even more. I even wasted some Devcon and aluminum rod trying to stiffen it up. No dice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would... But be aware, since that stock is so flexible you may have to really remove some material. Even from the channel. Otherwise, resting it on a bipod may cause it to flex to the point it touches even with the tabs removed. I've heard some will install some sort of rod to stiffen it after you remove the tabs and that will work too. FWIW... </div></div>

Wow... just WOW. Remington, why?

Thanks, 1s1k. I'll sand the tabs and the channel <shakes head>; how can Big Green put out stuff like that?

I replaced my stock as soon as possible with a HS Precision stock, that hogue stock caused my shots to spread out atleast 1'. Ever since i put on the HS stock ive been hittin dead center on everything. Hogue has good products dont get me wrong but that stock was not ment for a great remmy.

You can grind/sand the pads,then wrap some 100 grit sand paper
around a broom handle or wooden dowel and sand the barrel channel
and then add some fiberglass from a auto parts store to help stiffen it up,like others have said its a waste of time I did the above with no improvement just get a better stock
b&c,take off PS,LTR,R5,anything is better than the factory stock

Well kids, I'll probably change that stock out just for appearance's sake - Rem 700 SPS accuracy Here's some groups I shot with the indicated workup loads.

40.7%20gr%20picture.jpg

41.2%20gr%20picture.jpg

41.7%20gr%20picture.jpg

43.0%20gr%20picture.jpg

43.5%20gr%20picture.jpg

44.0%20gr%20picture.jpg

45.0%20gr%20picture.jpg

46.0%20gr%20picture.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zack-s</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What program is that? </div></div>
On Target. It's made by a SHOOTER, and (for now) it's free. Google that bad boy and chart your groups!

I was toying with trying to stiffen my sps stock but it seems like the whole stock is the problem. I decided to just get a new stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JFComfort</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you know how fast they are going? </div></div>

I don't own a chrono, so no, I don't. I'm thinking that the 45 grainers had acceptable accuracy with what is probably some pretty high velocity. This may improve matters once the range hits 600+ m, right? Gotta keep that bullet from going transonic before it hits the target, as far as I know.