HOG Saddle vs. ARCA rail

MMH

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2013
Obviously an ARCA would be a more solid mount, but most of my guns do not have rails mounted. How well does the HOG work. For that matter, how would the PIG version compare? Hate spending $350 on a HOG only to find out that it does not work.

On a related topic, how does a picatinny to ARCA converter work?

I can't speak to the HOG or PIG Saddle but I used to use a Picatinny to Arca rail adapter on several of my guns. It was actually an ADM tripod adapter with an Arca plate screwed to the bottom of it. I liked it because it was easy to get in and get out of and it was pretty easy to put a pic rail on the rifles that I was going to use it with. Stability wise the adapter was fine, it was stable enough. The disadvantages were that it was pretty high profile if you left it on the rifle and the adapter was one more thing I needed to remember to bring along. In the end I added a piece of Arca rail to a lot of my guns so that I could run the rifle directly to the tripod.

The HOG and PIG saddles work just fine but are heavy/ bulky, that being said the arca is more stable I think. You can get small rails from area 419 for as little as like 40 bucks if you wanted to install on a few different guns which would be cheaper then a HOG. Another option would be getting a tac table setup and throwing a bag on it for fast multiple targets. I’d say it’s a combination of what kind of shooting you plan on doing and what you prefer.

I have a hog saddle which worked pretty well with a leveling base. Its solid but a little clunky. Went to the RRS anvil 30 and couldn’t be happier. Got both the saddle and base in the PX if interested. Either way, it’s an improvement and the hog saddle is perfectly usable.

The HOG and PIG saddles work just fine but are heavy/ bulky, that being said the arca is more stable I think. You can get small rails from area 419 for as little as like 40 bucks if you wanted to install on a few different guns which would be cheaper then a HOG. Another option would be getting a tac table setup and throwing a bag on it for fast multiple targets. I’d say it’s a combination of what kind of shooting you plan on doing and what you prefer.
Yep - definitely going to make a TAC table. get a $15 ARCA on amazon & weld it to an aluminum plate. What size for the table - 8x8 ?

Reactions: Jonesing to shoot
If you're just plinking, fun comp, and messing around the PIG is fine (never used the HOG).

But when you are wanting a serious shot (hunting, tactical, etc) I've found the PIG saddle (real one, not knock off) wiggles a bit too much for me. the pads make for kind of awkward movement

ARCA rail is a solid attachment and the way I would go for a "primary" rifle used for serious/expensive purposes.

The PIG type saddle allows for pretty much any rifle, but it's limitations pop up pretty quick in usage.

My top recommendation is an RSS anvil. even with cheapie tripod legs and a saddle type attachment.

the speed and fine tuning of the Anvil is awesome.

I'd prioritize getting the Anvil head over anything else. the attachment is secondary for me, and the legs provided thick enough are the last part of the equation

though others will have differing opinions and are probably more correct

for ease of use, I love the Anvil head + whatever else

I run an ARCA rail + Anvil + 34L at this time- which works great to hold my rifle like an art piece. It works fine for shooting.

Gotta have priorities straight.

I've run a Pig Saddle in the past and it's a good unit although direct clamping to arca or pic is a super system, imo. I'll echo the suggestion of the Anvil-30 ballhead as not only is it a phenomenal ballhead for shooting but it clamps to both arca (actually RRS dovetail) and pic rails.