Gunsmithing HOGUE over moulded stocks

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
I purchased a Hogue over molded rifle stock with the FNH TBM system from midwest and would like to know if there are any issues with this stock .
I ask because I need to know before I sink $$ into a barrel and work !
Accuracy wise are their problems with this stock , I realize the grip angle is not optimal but my main concern is the lug/chassis ? inter-face ?
Would I be better off getting an A3G and bedding the barreled action and why ?
Thanks !

If this is the stock I'm thinking of, try to flex the fore-end of the stock to the touch the barrel and report back. Should be relatively easy.

These stock tend to flex too much and negate barrel free-floating when using a bag, bipod, etc.

This helps , I currently do not have a barreled action to work with other than my FN SPR and the contour of the 20" MTU will not fit the Hogue .
The McMillan A4 my SPR sits in is great and midwest has A3G's in stock for the time being and I'm debating that purchase for my build ! .
I only purcased the Hogue/FNH TBM deal because it was less expensive than the TBM/Mag by it's self . I really like this system , I have a FNH PBR CRF reciever I plan on barreling in either a Proof Sendero CFB or a Bartlein Marksman contour in the near future or possibly a smaller contour for a hunting rifle if the Hogue is GTG for a hunting application .

Yes they are horrible. They come with the R700 aac sd series and are crap. Just throw it away and buy a decent stock. As soon as you put any pressure on the forend it WILL flex and negate the free floating barrel. Cant load a bipod without it touching or even a front rest platform. Hogue made a very bad stock when they designed this one.

Thanks for the information, the A3G will be ordered today!. I did'nt realize the forend would be the problem but I was hesitant with the metal chassis the action rests on. Time to drop by Score High for another Pro Bed 2000 bedding kit !

Hogue sells a version of the stock that has a full length aluminum piece embedded into it. My FN PBR came with this version and I think the TBM version has the full aluminum bed as well. I have had good experience with this stock and recommend it.

The stocks from hogue that don't have this integral "chassis" feel cheap and flex

Last edited:
Reactions: davidb187
Have had to replace hogue stock on my aac bo rem as well.
It did not have the aluminum bedding fwd.

Not sure why it is still in the corner of gun room.
Considered trying to fix it since at the moment it is useless, nothing to lose.

Have been happy with the magpull replacement stock.

The stock does have aluminum bedding at the receiver but the barrel channel seems to be a black plastic type of material, I've tried to flex it but could not. The barrel channel will not fit the contour I'm planning so the McMillan A3G will suffice, I just have to decide on the inlet for the bottom metal.
The A3 FN will get me the coal I want(with modification) but will only allow 5 rounds, the FNH TBM I have will require stock modification to fit but the coal of the FN mags falls short!. I'm seriously considering CDI BM and AICS or ARC magazines to get to 2.970" coal for the cartridge I want.
I'm open to suggestions!
Thanks !!

I just threw a couple in the trash not too long ago. One was a Savage LA and other a Mini-30. In both cases I ended up using something else. The Savage was just for waiting on a Stockade. The Ruger I went back to the OEM stock. Not a lot of options out there for either one.

I really like the FNH TBM I already have in hand and wonder if AICS pattern magazine namely ARC can be modified to work? . The mag catch/release is wrong and would require relocation and I suspect the TBM might need some work to fit properly, however I already have it now I just need an ARC magazine. I'm only considering this because if possible I will also modify my FN SPR to get the 2.970 internal .
Is this something that is possible?
Thanks!