hogue overmold stock?

ND675SE

Private
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2011
Fargo, North Dakota, USA
Hey first post on the site here! I just bought a rem 700 sps tacticle in .308 my question is the overmold stock doesnt run squard to the barrel, it is touching horizontaly towards the end of the stock will this effect the rifles accuracy or not? it is supposed to be a free float barrel but in a way its not??

Re: hogue overmold stock?

Yes it will. Don't be scared to sand off what is touching or put it up for sale and get something better. Most people on here do not like that stock saying it is flimsy and inconsistent. Good luck and welcome to the Hide.

I have one of the originals on my rem 700 30.06 (hunting rifle). If it's strictly for a hunting rifle, it's good to go. I would spend the xtra for the aluminum bedding block). All this being said if you're on a tight budget. There are many other better options if you're willing to spend more.

The rifle I speak of has been beaten up on 4wheelers and snowmachines during my years in Alaska. I'm about to drop the Houge and replace it with a HS or Mcmillan. The rife as is will shoot .5 MOA and I can't wait to see what she'll do after some love...

Long story short, it's a decent hunting stock. However, the fore end is flimsy and needs to be perfectly center to barrel to prevent contact with the barrel..
photobucket-96362-1310797904720.jpg

You should find a lot to read on them around here. Probably fine for most hunting but a lot of people who shoot bench and prone say that bipods tend push the forend up and onto the barrel = not good. If yours is already touching = not good. I had a B&C that did the same thing, took the sandpaper to it and it started shooting much better. Just got a Manners with mini chassis for it though, have not shot it yet.

There are different schools of thought/belief on "barrel break in"; The method is shooter's choice. I wont suggest a best method, but over/improper (certainly start with a bore guide and a 1 piece rod) cleaning is worse than under cleaning...

The break in and or cleaning debate is a giant headache. The more I read the less I know. So many good shooters do it so different. Even barrel makers say they do things that I always heard would not fly. Some people clean every 20 shots and some every 300. Every solvent you could imagine, some only with bore snakes and kroil... Good luck there too.

Flynn has a good point, be careful not to beat up the crown and always use a good bore guide. If you do use a strong amonia based cleaner like Butches bore shine you need to neutralize it afterwards with something like Eeezox. Use that search engine for "break in" and "cleaning" and try to use your brain when reading through some of the posts.

Best uses for Hogue Overmold Stock:
Custom Door Stop
Cricket bat
Golf Club

Worst Uses for Hogue Overmold Stock:
Rifle Stock

LOL...Im just kidding. The Overmold stock is ok at best. It will do for the time being until you can afford something better. Even if you shave it down, If you put it on a bipod it will still flex and touch the barrel(Affecting Barrel Harmonics). I kept mine on for a while until I could afford a HS precision. Im now thinking about an Accuracy International(Nothing wrong with the HS, but the AI is cooler)

OK, so it's a Hogue, that's what Remington has chosen too deliver to sell an entry level tactical rifle to compete with everyone else.
They can be tweaked so they will perform better until you can upgrade your stock.
If the barrel is not running parallel with the channel, touching the foreend, if it's not the stock it's the recoil lug most likely, which needs to be struck with a brass hammer in the opposite direction the barrel needs to move. [the recoil lug is basically a wedge, not threaded or soldered]
If that square's up the barrel with the channel now you need to reinforce the stock.
Send me your e-mail and I will upload some pics. of a fairly simple way to do this.
Basically, I dremel a groove on the left and right side of the center strut from front to back in the bottom of the stock.
Stop the groove before the recoil lug recess.
Stop the groove at the front swivel stud location.
I use 1/2" high x 1/8 wide steel cut to fit from the recoil lug bulkhead to the front swivel stud.
I epoxy these two pcs. into the two grooves.
I cut 4 pcs. to fit the recess in front of the front sling swivel recess, making a template of the curve of the stock, grind two pcs. to fit, lay 2 more between them and epoxy. This is at the forend area, where the most trouble occurs.
Then I bed the recoil lug area with steel and epoxy.
I have done 8 or 9 Hogue's like this, accuracy improved, and there is no flex in these modified stocks.
JOE

Assuming you spend some time to overcome the free-float and bedding problems....

Now you are left with a stock that has a comb too low for optics and a pistol grip too far back and at the wrong angle for proper trigger control.

It's not a good stock for a precision rifle. I tried to like it. It's just got too many problems. If your time is worth anything, it's going to be cheaper to replace the stock with a B&C or HS takeoff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If your time is worth anything, it's going to be cheaper to replace the stock with a B&C or HS takeoff. </div></div>

Yep.
You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Hi LoneWolf,
All that work on the Hogue I described was just my way of giving me an excuse to dig into a stock that needs digging into. I'm like everyone else, I upgrade all my go to rifles with better stocks without ever shooting a round under the Hogue.
The steel inletted and expoxied is below the main strut and the action and barrel is free floated, resting on the pillars, and only bedded to the front of the recoil lug.
This method only stiffens the stock, never touchs the barrell.
Like most people that don't play golf, tennis, ping-pong, I just go from reloading, shooting, when it raining out, taking guns apart, cleaning, modifiying, and listening to my wife bitch about "you and them f_______ guns, is that all you think about"
JOE

A big part of the problem is that 95% of the fellows that I hunt or shoot with have never shot any platform except the factory one.
They rely on the factory set-up, they have never taken a factory stock off, or attempted to change stocks.
They believe if Remington sends any model rifle with a Hogue, or Rem.factory stock, who the hell are they to question the factory.
Then they meet individuals such as us here on the hide or similiar sites, who routinely diassemble weapons, modify, add or remove parts, espeacially the Hogue, and all of a sudden the damn rifle's accuracy dramatically improves, they tell everyone of their fellow hunter's/shooter's "man this guy really knows a lot about guns, call him"
They would never spend any more money on a replacement stock, so I have begun to modify some Hogue's.
Wouldn't use one, for the same reason's you won't, but the other 95% I mentioned, they trust the factory to sell them "a kick ass super duper delux rifle, theirs is the best right out of the box accurate." say it ain't so JOE
It just ain't so!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vferguson3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi LoneWolf,
All that work on the Hogue I described was just my way of giving me an excuse to dig into a stock that needs digging into. </div></div>

No problem. I totally understand. From time to time I also work over stuff that is best replaced. Very often it's just to see what I can do with it. Other guys just don't have the budget and labor is free.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vferguson3006</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If the barrel is not running parallel with the channel, touching the foreend, if it's not the stock it's the recoil lug most likely, which needs to be struck with a brass hammer in the opposite direction the barrel needs to move. [the recoil lug is basically a wedge, not threaded or soldered]
If that square's up the barrel with the channel now you need to reinforce the stock.
</div></div>This could be true, but probably not always the case. The B&C stock I got touched the barrel on the right side of my forend. I shaved it down, it shot better. Then when I got the Manners with Mini Chassis the barreled action dropped in and had equal spacing all the way down the barrel. Some stocks are just lemons IMO.

does anyone have a used stock that is of higher quality i could put on it then? id rather have a quality stock then wind up ruining the one i have. im on flood duty in another city then i live so i wouldnt have tools to fix it anyway. used stocks for sale? pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ND675SE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">does anyone have a used stock that is of higher quality i could put on it then? id rather have a quality stock then wind up ruining the one i have. im on flood duty in another city then i live so i wouldnt have tools to fix it anyway. used stocks for sale? pics? </div></div>

The Overmold stock will work fine until you can upgrade...I had mine on for a year before I upgraded and it still shot sub MOA and even .5MOA with the barrel touching the stock...I wouldnt worry myself to much about it