• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Holland's Gen 2 Radial Brake

bh-ltr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2007
Eugene, OR
So I just got my gun back from Darrell Holland's shop where he threaded my barrel for me as I'm getting ready for my ThunderBeast 30P-1. I asked for a thread protector from him as its going to be 5 or 6 months probably before I get my tax stamp. Dale recommended going with one of his radial baffle muzzle brakes as a thread protector when I mentioned that one of my primary goals for the suppressor was for recoil reduction. He also installed a grind on kick-eez recoil pad and tuned up my trigger.

Coming from a guy who has a pinched nerve that runs down over his clavicle and has a hard time shooting prone I just got back from shooting 95 rounds over few hours time with my dad. Last time I was out with this same gun I was sore and starting to flinch after 20 rounds. Today I don't feel a thing and we're going to head out again for some more trigger time tomorrow.

I have no affiliation with Dale I just feel he did a great job and he deserves a good review. I only hope that this information proves useful for the next guy coming along to research his products as his site doesn't display this new brake. Can't say enough good about this setup! Very pleased!

I'd looked at Dale's brakes on his website http://www.hollandguns.com/ and read some reviews online and they all seemed quite promising. I'd also watched this video which looked promising as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEt3dECMdA

So when I watched the video I wasn't paying close enough attention to see that there aren't any holes in the top of the brake like I was expecting based on what is pictured on the web site. Apparently their second generation brake has foregone the top holes and the side ports are slightly less raked back than the pictures I've seen of the previous model.

I have a few pictures of the brake installed on my Remington 700 LTR barrel:
2012-11-02%2023.11.36.jpg

This picture doesn't really do the job that much justice. He's matched it to the barrel diameter and timed the brake impeccably.

Top shot:
2012-11-02%2023.10.33.jpg

Re: Holland's Gen 2 Radial Brake

I've had one for a couple of years and IMO, it and the APA brakes are the most efficient brakes available.... of course, at the expense of horrible side and backblast (APA the worst).

The downside of Darrell's brakes have been odd tread pitches (he never has the standard 5/8-24 in stock) I've tried to order several the past couple of years and it was always "I guess I could make you one, but it may be a couple of months").

Don't get this brake mixed up with the regular brake he has made for many years, it's a better animal.

Actually this brake is a 5/8x24 (as it has to match up with my TBAC 30P-1). He got it done and installed for me pretty dang quick once the rifle got down to him. My parents live pretty close to Darrel's shop so I just dropped the gun off with them and got them to bring it into him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bh-ltr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZEt3dECMdA
</div></div>

^This video is lame, he doesn't give you a shot without the break to compare it to which was the premise of the video.

Anyway, this break looks exactly like the one on my .338 (below) and if so it's supposed to make the .338 kick a lot loss than a .338 without a break but I haven't tried one without so who knows.

2upscxl.jpg

Yea I'd wished that they'd taken it off and shown the difference. I watched this video which gives a better picture of the difference:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1RewBWMgM

It's a totally different design but it gives an idea what kind of difference can be seen. With the Holland brake I'm able to see impacts at 100 yards and as the distance gets longer the ability to spot shots only gets even easier.

~Brett

I finally got the chance to take the brake off and test fit my suppressor. The Thunderbeast 30P-1 in 5/8"-24TPI fit on perfectly. I didn't look down the bore for alignment but concentricity is perfect as far as I can measure. Unfortunately didn't have my phone with me when I was at the store or I'd have taken a few pics.

I should also note that I messed up the first post and wrote Dale rather than Darrell. I've corrected this.

I also have a Holland's brake on my Sendero 300 Win. Mag. It made a VERY noticeable difference in felt recoil but the percussion is certainly felt even sitting behind the rifle. It does what it is supposed to do so I am Happy. I had him thread my barrel and do the brake in 5/8"x24 and he had my rifle done in a couple hours time.

huh. The shock wave really doesn't seem much different to me but the recoil seems shorter and less abrupt. I do admit that I am quite surprised to see a full mil of vertical difference from brake on vs off. Have you noticed similar? Does your suppressor give you yet a 3rd POI or does it follow one of the other two? I'm expecting my stamp to arrive in March.