Holosun 507 or Trijicon RMR

RMR, 60 yards, been on for two years, time to change the battery
vBjfraweTE+GeD1jMQteNQ.jpg

One is made in China the other in the US. I have been shooting the RMR for a year on my G19. I have also used a Halosun and it is a great optic for the money but yeah, get the Trijicon. I will be buying an SRO very soon.
@ghostrider272

I bought an RMR in late 2019 and plopped it on a pistol to start shooting Carry Optics in USPSA and IDPA. In less than 8 months I ran just over 10K rounds through it between practice and matches. Then I bought an SRO for Carry Optics and moved the RMR to my carry gun.

As of today the RMR is closing in on 11,000 rounds fired in total and it has been flawless. Mine is the RM07 which has a dual mode adjustable (manual and automatic) reticle brightness and a 6.5 MOA dot.

My SRO has nearly 4000 rounds in the few months I've had it and it has also been flawless. Mine has the 5 MOA dot.

I would not consider Holosun when Trijicon makes a superior product right here in the United States. Why? Because fuck the Chinese. That's why.

507c It has better features more gimmicks at a much slightly better price while a portion of the company profits end up in the hands of a murderous, communist dictatorship that poses a clear and present danger to US national security

Helped you out there, filling in the blanks you were missing

I really wish they made the 507k with an actual rms-c footprint. I like the 507c a lot.

507c vs rmr... 507 is significantly more feature rich. The rmr is reviewed as being more durable, but the window is tiny, you can't switch between manual and auto, you only get one reticle... etc etc... BUT it's supposed to be more durable

If $ isnt an issue I would go with the RMR (buy once and cry once as they say). Holosun is the top tier of Chinese optics, and they really make some great stuff, but its not an RMR. That said if I had to run a holosun I wouldn't feel like I had a total POS on my pistol either.

I have a FDE RM06 Type 2 on my glock and love it. I trust my life with it. On my range AR's I have sig romeo 5's which are made by holosun and they are fantastic. However on my self defense AR its aimpoint or trijicon.

you can't switch between manual and auto

Yes, you sure as hell can in the models that have + and - buttons on the side. RTFM

I want three things out of my RDS: durability, holds zero, and durability. The only "feature" that Holosun can claim actually helps one to shoot better is its choice of reticles and that's a big subjective.

The RMR's window is a problem if your index sucks out of the holster. Holosun's window ain't much larger. If you want to step it up you'll need an SRO, DPP, or Romeo 3 Max

Yes, you sure as hell can in the models that have + and - buttons on the side. RTFM

I want three things out of my RDS: durability, holds zero, and durability. The only "feature" that Holosun can claim actually helps one to shoot better is its choice of reticles and that's a big subjective.

The RMR's window is a problem if your index sucks out of the holster. Holosun's window ain't much larger. If you want to step it up you'll need an SRO, DPP, or Romeo 3 Max
My type 1 adjustable definitely does not auto adjust. Type 1 RMR is at the same pricepoint of the 507c. Apples to apples.

Features don't need to help you shoot better to be appreciated. Some help YOU fail less. Some are just niceties. Off the top of my head: don't need to remove the optic to change batteries (type 2 doesn't have this issue), solar contingency, parallax seems more forgiving, no blue tint, more tactile and audible adjustments, shake awake, COMES WITH DIFFERENT LENGTH SCREWS (c'mon trijicon)

I haven't heard of 507 durability issues

Re: your last comment: The holosun window is simply larger and is an advantage because not every presentation is perfect. The bigger reticle adds even more forgiveness in presentation error because you can catch the circle even if the dot is out of the window. Yes, the DPP/SRO/R3M are even bigger (with the SRO being at the stupidest price point). Doesn't make the holosun not bigger than the rmr.

My type 1 adjustable definitely does not auto adjust. Type 1 RMR is at the same pricepoint of the 507c. Apples to apples.

Features don't need to help you shoot better to be appreciated. Some help YOU fail less. Some are just niceties. Off the top of my head: don't need to remove the optic to change batteries (type 2 doesn't have this issue), solar contingency, parallax seems more forgiving, no blue tint, more tactile and audible adjustments, shake awake, COMES WITH DIFFERENT LENGTH SCREWS (c'mon trijicon)

I haven't heard of 507 durability issues

Re: your last comment: The holosun window is simply larger and is an advantage because not every presentation is perfect. The bigger reticle adds even more forgiveness in presentation error because you can catch the circle even if the dot is out of the window. Yes, the DPP/SRO/R3M are even bigger (with the SRO being at the stupidest price point). Doesn't make the holosun not bigger than the rmr.

The type 2 certainly does need to be removed to change batteries.

I think this comes down to budget and use. Is the RMR in your budget? 507c's used to be ~250 with even the Type 1 RMRs being ~350 if I remember correctly. Is this for a range gun or self defense?

For most civilians you would more than likely be just fine with a holosun. However they are not are not a replacement for "serious use optics" and honest vendors like Primary Arms will up front tell you this. Not everyone needs an aimpoint on every AR or Trijicon on every pistol hence the market share holosun has captured. I straight up love my Romeo 5's (holosun) and they are on all my range toys. For $120 you wont find a better quality red dot. However my self defense AR sports an aimpoint T2. I spent more on that one red dot than all my others combined haha.

There are some decent scopes made in China and the Philippines but go make a thread with "they are just as good" and see the type of feedback you get. They both have their place but they are not apples to apples. I just bought a Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24 for my NRL 22 rifle. I also have a Nightforce SHV on another rifle. The Athlon has has exposed turrets, parallax adjustment, higher magnification, drastically lower cost. It certainly has more features than my nightforce but does that make it better/just as good...no.

The type 2 certainly does need to be removed to change batteries.

I think this comes down to budget and use. Is the RMR in your budget? 507c's used to be ~250 with even the Type 1 RMRs being ~350 if I remember correctly. Is this for a range gun or self defense?

For most civilians you would more than likely be just fine with a holosun. However they are not are not a replacement for "serious use optics" and honest vendors like Primary Arms will up front tell you this. Not everyone needs an aimpoint on every AR or Trijicon on every pistol hence the market share holosun has captured. I straight up love my Romeo 5's (holosun) and they are on all my range toys. For $120 you wont find a better quality red dot. However my self defense AR sports an aimpoint T2. I spent more on that one red dot than all my others combined haha.

There are some decent scopes made in China and the Philippines but go make a thread with "they are just as good" and see the type of feedback you get. They both have their place but they are not apples to apples. I just bought a Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24 for my NRL 22 rifle. I also have a Nightforce SHV on another rifle. The Athlon has has exposed turrets, parallax adjustment, higher magnification, drastically lower cost. It certainly has more features than my nightforce but does that make it better/just as good...no.
Oops your right, was thinking about my sro.

I got 507's for sub 250 and rmr for sub 300. They're apples to apples pricewise. There's a difference between not feeling comfortable telling you it's not a serious optic because they haven't seen proven performance vs having seen regular failures. The difference between an Argos and an SHV (which quite frankly I would not take EITHER for a "serious use optic") is not the difference between a 507 and an RMR, and there's an argument that if I can't change the battery on it without needing to confirm zero that it isn't a serious optic.

I will say this, I'm significantly more confident with an RMR as an offset rifle optic because of it's horned shape. The geometry of the housing I feel like is more durable against the impacts my offset rifle red dots will take from me being careless. My pistol will not be subject to the same low velocity + high mass roughness. Maybe slide ride beats it up just as much... haven't had an issue.

The romeo 5 is a piece of shit, but the romeo 4 is approved for use on FBI rifles. Take that for what it's worth

In RECENT history, l3 MRDS and docter red dots were serious use pistol red dots, and those were hot garbage. The 507 is a significant improvement to both in so many ways

Last edited:
We have 4 pistols with Gen 1 RMR07's and 1 with a Gen 1 507c. On my carry and hunting pistols I have the RMR and on my wife's Gen 5 G34 Unlimted pistol she prefers the Holosun's reticle. I also have a 507c on my AK 74 because it provides a good cheek weld and sight height with the Attero Arms rail mount. I have had no problems hitting the steel pictured in my avatar at 400 yds.
Red Dot Pistols.jpg
AK 74 507c.jpg

Unless it's for a self/home defense gun, having used both quite a bit, thousands of rounds with both, I'd go with the Holosun over the RMR for targets/hunting.

IMHO the RMR is still probably the best pistol dot out there if you're looking for proven durability, but, it's window is small and they can be tough to pick up unless you practice with it. The RMR design is just showing it's age a bit against many of the newer dots out these days and is kind of overpriced dollar-to-performance-wise now (unless bombproofness is what you're after of course). Any kind of duty use and it's the RMR then everything else...

Holosun has kind of turned the whole red dot segment on its head over the last few years with what you get for the money. They're perfectly great for target/hunting/USPSA/etc. I've had a couple different 507's that were great, have had 510's on PCC's and AR's, and particularly dig their 403R T2-style dot, I'l probably never buy an Aimpoint again.

If you want a Trijicon, get an SRO. I have one that's seen ~9000rds without doing anything other than work 100%, and the larger window does really make it easier/faster to pick up.

Oops your right, was thinking about my sro.

I got 507's for sub 250 and rmr for sub 300. They're apples to apples pricewise. There's a difference between not feeling comfortable telling you it's not a serious optic because they haven't seen proven performance vs having seen regular failures. The difference between an Argos and an SHV (which quite frankly I would not take EITHER for a "serious use optic") is not the difference between a 507 and an RMR, and there's an argument that if I can't change the battery on it without needing to confirm zero that it isn't a serious optic.

I will say this, I'm significantly more confident with an RMR as an offset rifle optic because of it's horned shape. The geometry of the housing I feel like is more durable against the impacts my offset rifle red dots will take from me being careless. My pistol will not be subject to the same low velocity + high mass roughness. Maybe slide ride beats it up just as much... haven't had an issue.

The romeo 5 is a piece of shit, but the romeo 4 is approved for use on FBI rifles. Take that for what it's worth

In RECENT history, l3 MRDS and docter red dots were serious use pistol red dots, and those were hot garbage. The 507 is a significant improvement to both in so many ways
Where can you buy an RMR for sub 300 or Holosun for less than 250$?

Piss off on chicom holosun. Buy an American made optic and support Americans! If you can buy American over chicom, do it.

As another said, if you can‘t find the dot, train more, and suck less.

If you can’t afford an RMR yet, save your money, shoot irons, and buy an RMR (or an SRO if you don’t need the durability of the RMR).
1DEA6FFE-3166-47B1-90FA-BFCE8ABB82C1.jpeg