• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Home Made Gun Oven!!!! Pictures

Mgordon

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2007
Wellington, Ohio
www.shortactioncustoms.com
I figured I would show some pictures of my oven I build for baking gun parts. Its not perfect, but I feel proud...haha

I used an old electric oven for its controls and heating element. The hot air is directed up from the heater placed behind a protective shroud and the hot air rises up. It actually heats really evenly, I checked the temp down below and it's very close to the top. Everything I have baked has turned out great with no imperfections.

I plasma torched a large metal container and sand blasted it. Then I insulated the sides, top, bottom and door with oven insulation. I also welded some expanded metal mesh on the top to hang stuff from. I'm going to also make a shelf so I can double stack small parts.

The door uses an over the center latch. Its actually painted red at this moment. Even though it looks like a robot from the 80's, it works really well!

Just figured I would show her off....lol

DSC04585.jpg

DSC04587.jpg

DSC04588.jpg

DSC04687.jpg

DSC04689.jpg

DSC04690.jpg

DSC04693.jpg

DSC04702.jpg

Mark

Re: Home Made Gun Oven!!!! Pictures

when i get around to building mine, i'm going to make provisions for racks so after i bake some moly-resin i can dehydrate 20 lbs of beef jerky
grin.gif

for real though, i do plan on putting a fan on the top and ducting hot air back down to the bottom in an attempt to keep the heat distributed more evenly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when i get around to building mine,
i do plan on putting a fan on the top and ducting hot air back down to the bottom in an attempt to keep the heat distributed more evenly.</div></div>

not needed....but , plan on either a trip to the hospital or several bottles of tylenol to abate the severe head ache and nausea.....or better still run a duct to the outside and add a small in-line fan to suck the fumes out....you braincells will thank you for it, at least the ones that are still alive if you don't VENT the fumes.

While it is not the Virgin Mary-- I think the image of Alfred E. Neuman appears in the rust on the inside of the door!!

DSC04588.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when i get around to building mine,
i do plan on putting a fan on the top and ducting hot air back down to the bottom in an attempt to keep the heat distributed more evenly.</div></div>

not needed....but , plan on either a trip to the hospital or several bottles of tylenol to abate the severe head ache and nausea.....or better still run a duct to the outside and add a small in-line fan to suck the fumes out....you braincells will thank you for it, at least the ones that are still alive if you don't VENT the fumes. </div></div>

I don't like messing around with my health, typically I'm wearing my respirator when doing any kind of painting/buffing and sand blasting and it stays on while working with the oven. What would you have in mind for a better ventilation system? Would you lose too much heat by venting the air out?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it is not the Virgin Mary-- I think the image of Alfred E. Neuman appears in the rust on the inside of the door!!

DSC04588.jpg
</div></div>

You are correct, good eye! There was an old sticker on the inside of the door!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: US Handgunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you have in mind for a better ventilation system? Would you lose too much heat by venting the air out?

</div></div>

you head is not inside the oven so it doesn't need ventilation. if you are going to be working in the shop that the oven is in, the shop should have ventilation.

i cure moly resin in my kitchen oven all the time. i just open the back door near the oven and face a fan blowing out. then again, i got rid of most of my brain cells back in high school and my early twenties
crazy.gif

Yeah, I agree with the previous poster. I would not worry about venting out the interior of the case, but I would place the case near some source of outgoing ventilation in the shop. Not close enough to have the heat damage anything, but close enough to vent out any bad gases.

downtown is right and correct.....the noxious fumes need to be sucked out of the work area.....not the actual cabinet as i intimated......sorry for the lack of clarity on my part.

place this oven near a wall next to an exhaust fan to the outside of the building....in its own room if possible, or a room that has little work traffic that can be closed off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">While it is not the Virgin Mary-- I think the image of Alfred E. Neuman appears in the rust on the inside of the door!!
</div></div>

LOL ...

Wish I had one ... !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: specopsbrooklyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good idea how well did it work what temp range </div></div>

The temp range is 200 to 500.

Enough to cook brownies and KG Gunkote....

Well I haven't had a problem from being bored lately..... I need to build a movable painting rack with sides and good lighting, scope lapping bars, a spider 4 jaw, a V-block to hold Rem 700 actions for doing 8/40 scope base screw mods....the list goes on and on.

Mark

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when i get around to building mine, i'm going to make provisions for racks so after i bake some moly-resin i can dehydrate 20 lbs of beef jerky
grin.gif
</div></div>

Do them both at the same time, quicker this way
grin.gif