Hornady Bullets 338 Caliber 285 Grain

Any opinions on this projectile? I have been shooting 250 and 300 gr in the LM and looking to try the 285s out. What is experience with accuracy and LD performance?

Thoughts appreciated.

Hi Sako

I posted this a short while ago:

Hi guys

For what it is worth, tried the 285 AMAX/H1000 in a TRG 42 .338LM, 27 1/4 barrel, 1-10 twist. I am not a pro, just a guy who reloads and likes to shoot, including ELR.
Loaded at Hornady Manual specs for length (had nothing on the AMAX, so used specs for 285 BTHP). Sized up the first one with micrometer for proper Manual COAL, then using that first loaded round, measured it OTB for all other rounds (better consistency, hope I make sens).
Weighted bullets, as AMAX have more of a weight difference than, let's say, Berger. All bullets in that test were between 284.8 and 285.2.
Went conservative on loads, nothing real hot; Lapua brass (5 reloads, annealed), CCI 250 primers.
86 gr, 87 gr, 88 gr and 89 gr; did not use Chronograph yet but will do next session.
I know of the controversy between load development at 100 yards, or 300, 1000 or whatever one's think is right but just take it as it comes, just basic info. For the record, I contacted Berger Bullets Tech Support a while ago and they recommend load development at 100 yards/meters; some will strongly disagree...and I wish I knew the right answer.
Loaded 10 rounds for each load; best 5 shots groups were both with 87 gr of H1000. For the ones who like numbers, first group was .2, the other .5; this was done at 100 yards, so it may not mean much further out but planning on finding out. If this load can take the 285 at a mile accurately, I'll be happy but we know by experience that what happens at shorter range sometimes does not match what happens 1600 yards further out...and once again, I wish it did, would make our lives easier
As the Hornady Manual gives 87. something of H1000 in a 26" barrel, at 2700 fps, I am assuming that the bullets were close to that, in the slightly longer TRG's barrel, will find out for sure next time, when using chronograph.
Not that this will make anybody else's load development easier but this is my short experience with the 285 AMAX and H1000.

Good shooting to all.

I did also try the 285 BTHP, shot about MOA but did not finish testing them. Would have to look if I can find the test targets.

Hi Sako

I posted this a short while ago:

Hi guys

For what it is worth, tried the 285 AMAX/H1000 in a TRG 42 .338LM, 27 1/4 barrel, 1-10 twist. I am not a pro, just a guy who reloads and likes to shoot, including ELR.
Loaded at Hornady Manual specs for length (had nothing on the AMAX, so used specs for 285 BTHP). Sized up the first one with micrometer for proper Manual COAL, then using that first loaded round, measured it OTB for all other rounds (better consistency, hope I make sens).
Weighted bullets, as AMAX have more of a weight difference than, let's say, Berger. All bullets in that test were between 284.8 and 285.2.
Went conservative on loads, nothing real hot; Lapua brass (5 reloads, annealed), CCI 250 primers.
86 gr, 87 gr, 88 gr and 89 gr; did not use Chronograph yet but will do next session.
I know of the controversy between load development at 100 yards, or 300, 1000 or whatever one's think is right but just take it as it comes, just basic info. For the record, I contacted Berger Bullets Tech Support a while ago and they recommend load development at 100 yards/meters; some will strongly disagree...and I wish I knew the right answer.
Loaded 10 rounds for each load; best 5 shots groups were both with 87 gr of H1000. For the ones who like numbers, first group was .2, the other .5; this was done at 100 yards, so it may not mean much further out but planning on finding out. If this load can take the 285 at a mile accurately, I'll be happy but we know by experience that what happens at shorter range sometimes does not match what happens 1600 yards further out...and once again, I wish it did, would make our lives easier
As the Hornady Manual gives 87. something of H1000 in a 26" barrel, at 2700 fps, I am assuming that the bullets were close to that, in the slightly longer TRG's barrel, will find out for sure next time, when using chronograph.
Not that this will make anybody else's load development easier but this is my short experience with the 285 AMAX and H1000.

Good shooting to all.

I did also try the 285 BTHP, shot about MOA but did not finish testing them. Would have to look if I can find the test targets.

Excellent! Good write up. I dropped the hammer on some 285s and gonna put them through the Sako and the DTA. Sounds like they might the good.