Hornady Lock-N-Load AP problem

Pirate-69

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2009
Greenville, NC
I finally got a shellplate for my new Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. I have it setup and started to do my first loading on it. Having a minor problem. Every once in a while, the case (30-06) does not enter the case activated power die correctly and I dump some powder. It also results in the case mouth being dinged. I have the powder bushing in correctly, deep dish up. Anyone have an idea what is going on? Thanks in advance.

Re: Hornady Lock-N-Load AP problem

Sometimes you have to adjust the timing on them. The instructions will show you how if that is the problem.

Pirate, the damaged case tells me the thrower is adjusted too far down in the powder die. When I change calibers, I have to adjust here to prevent the same problem you are experiencing, especially if switching from pistol to rifle relading. First, take your thrower apart and clean it thoroughly. No lube anywhere. After reassemble, make sure that the thrower is properly adjusted on the powder die. The adjustement comes at the Hornady locking ring which secures the die in the LNL bushing. Experiment by case activating with no powder in the thrower. Make sure that at the top of the ram stroke, the rotating cylinder does not travel beyond its mechanical range of motion. Otherwise, you will damage the casemouths. It can be adjusted to do so in order to expand pistol cases, but you don't want that for your 3006 loads. If you have any problems, PM me and I'll be glad to help.

If the problem is intermittent I wouldn't completely discount the possibility that faulty indexing is to blame. Cycle the press a dozen times or so without anything in the shellholder and check for positive engagement of the ball detents. Once you've eliminated that as the cause of the problem you can explore other possibilities.

You can check the timing by applying slight back pressure on the shellplate while you work the handle. If the timing is off, it wont lockup and you'll see it easily.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pirate-69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got a shellplate for my new Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. I have it setup and started to do my first loading on it. Having a minor problem. Every once in a while, the case (30-06) does not enter the case activated power die correctly and I dump some powder. It also results in the case mouth being dinged. I have the powder bushing in correctly, deep dish up. Anyone have an idea what is going on? Thanks in advance.
</div></div> Just an FYI...heres a few other sites with LNL helpful hints.... the first one, check all three pages for hints glockpost hints ...and the second one may have repeats, but check all the pages too brianenos.com ... hope it helps a little.