• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HELP!!!

Heronion

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2010
Houghton, Michigan
A little background first:

I have a McGowen drop-in pre-fit Savage small shank barrel on order. So, I purchased the necessary tools to swap out the barrel (barrel vise, barrel nut wrench, action wrench). I then proceeded to tighten the barrel in the vise, and tighten the action wrench on the action. I then applied force to the barrel nut wrench to loosen it. That's when it happened.

THE RECEIVER TWISTED

Yes. It actually twisted. The right (bolt) side of the receiver horribly deformed when I applied force to the barrel wrench. The barrel nut did not loosen one bit, instead, the receiver wall simply bent out of shape. I cannot believe my eyes.

Apparently, Savage only has a one year warranty on rifles (I bought mine about 18 months ago). So, I now find myself in desperate need of either:

A Savage short action OR someone who can re-bend my receiver back to correct shape. I'm needing some serious help here. Any recommendations for either of those? I've also lost confidence in Savage now, so I also would want a professional to do the barrel swap, as that way I'd be covered in case the same thing happened again.

HELP!

Brian

Re: Horrible receiver failure on Savage - NEED HELP!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i will start with buttered popcorn............... </div></div>

Pictures would be nice to enjoy the popcorn with....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OR someone who can re-bend my receiver back to correct shape.</div></div>

I'll do it and I only charge you $100...but not really. What's the real story?

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, did you tighten the action wrench on the rear bridge of the action? If so, that is your problem. Get out your wallet.

Josh </div></div>

It was between the midway point and the front (near the barrel nut) point. I just have no idea why this happened....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What's the real story?

</div></div>

wink.gif

Were you attempting to take the factory barrel off when this happened? I've had to use heat to get one off before, appeared that the factory used some form of Loctite on the barrel threads. Never had a receiver twist like that... yet.

Pics are a must on this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, did you tighten the action wrench on the rear bridge of the action? If so, that is your problem. Get out your wallet.

Josh </div></div>

It was between the midway point and the front (near the barrel nut) point. I just have no idea why this happened.... </div></div>

Post pics of the setup. I'm running out for beer.

Josh

What kind of action wrench are you using ? I have done several Savages and never did I use an Action wrench . I just clamp the barrel in a barrel vise and use a barrel nut wrench .

You need to post pics for one. Sounds like you had the action wrench back to far which would lead to twisting. That would happen on any action. For the fix, depending on how bad it is. You need to send it to Sharpshootersupply they are the Savage experts. They are also known as SSS. Fred can set you straight.

First time attempting to post pics:

2vxk8iq.jpg

adc3n8.jpg

28b5iq8.jpg

As to the action wrench deal, I just used it to hold the receiver in place for a better grip on the barrel nut wrench. The action wrench was pretty much as close to the nut (front of the receiver) as I could get it to be. This is probably the second most depressing moment of my life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What was holding the Back of the receiver to allow you to apply Way to much force to it ? </div></div>

Pretty much nothing. I didn't even apply that much force (in my reckoning). I'd say I didn't exceed more than 75 ft-lbs.

I'm detecting a pattern here. It appears that the nasty Mr. Action Wrench, while claiming to be my friend and ticket to easy-barrel-removal heaven, was really a force of receiver-twisting evil. Perhaps an acid bath will make him rethink the error of his ways....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the wrench should have went to the fatherst part of the action close to the barrel..

You killed that one.. </div></div>

Please read all of my posts where I stated that I HAD the wrench in the exact spot you are saying it should have been.

what I see says otherwise..<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ASM1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the wrench should have went to the fatherst part of the action close to the barrel..

You killed that one.. </div></div>

Please read all of my posts where I stated that I HAD the wrench in the exact spot you are saying it should have been. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Thud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oboy. It won't buff out. I would get a new one and cut this in half never to be used again. </div></div>

Yep...that ain't coming out with oil and elbow grease. However...I would NOT cut it in half. I would use it as a paperweight! A daily reminder of USE THE PROPER TOOLS FOR THE JOB next time!!
wink.gif

All joking aside...I'm sorry about your luck with this one. Definitely time for a new receiver and investment in a good barrel nut wrench and a barrel vice for future jobs like this!!.

Well, I've written the action off as a lost cause. Time to remove and sell the barrel and get a new action. Any ideas on where a Savage short action (action only) can be found?

It looks like the next barrel swap I will be only using the nut wrench and barrel vise, as per your suggestions.

My official conclusion: USER ERROR

Bummer. Lesson learned. And I'll use heat next time. Thanks all for the input.

Brian

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i will start with buttered popcorn............... </div></div>

Even sans pics, the diagnosis is clear. Start Over. AKA time for a new rifle. Putting metal that far into the plastic range, well, it's achieved zombie status.

Not to kick a man when he's down, but that's a HUGE amount of deformation which transpired in the action prior to your noticing that things weren't "going well" with the swap. Cheater Bar perhaps, and or?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jean Lafitte</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Even sans pics, the diagnosis is clear. Start Over. AKA time for a new rifle. Putting metal that far into the plastic range, well, it's achieved zombie status.</div></div>

I'm thinking the same. At least a new one can be had for <$300

If it helps, most of us have maimed plenty of high dollar stuff thanks to that thing known as the learning curve. I still cringe @ the thoughts of a few of my more heinous ones ;-)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO need for Heat !
NO need for that much Force !

Wack the Wrench with a HAMMER... the Shock is what breaks the nut loose Quick and Easy. </div></div>

A hammer was used. It seems it did not work quite as well as it did for you, sir.

"It's only metal", I use to take 53' transport trailers that were rolled in the barditch and twisted like a pretzel, chain them down and twist them back the opposite way with a little extra for spring back, then repair what ever was crumpled.
Put your wrench back on it next to the trigger housing and un bend it......For real, your lugs lock in the front, at this point you can't make it any worse.
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NO need for Heat !
NO need for that much Force !

Wack the Wrench with a HAMMER... the Shock is what breaks the nut loose Quick and Easy. </div></div>

A hammer was used. It seems it did not work quite as well as it did for you, sir.</div></div>

Obviously... But I never firmly attached the Ass End of a Action on the 50 or so Savages I have done...

Some Savages come with the barrel nut installed by a gorilla. The trick is to NOT use an action wrench. What you do is put the barrel nut wrench on then get a crescent wrench and put that on the recoil lug at about a 60 degree angle to the other wrench. Then put the gun on the floor using the wrenches as a bipod. Next you hop right on top of them. Just make sure you're loosening the nut.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's only metal", I use to take 53' transport trailers that were rolled in the barditch and twisted like a pretzel, chain them down and twist them back the opposite way with a little extra for spring back, then repair what ever was crumpled.
Put your wrench back on it next to the trigger housing and un bend it......For real, your lugs lock in the front, at this point you can't make it any worse.
SScott </div></div>

I just worked at it for a few minutes. Unbent it a little. If it doesn't get there...oh well. If I destroy the receiver in the process...too late anyway. Nothing to lose. Depression aside, it is a freeing feeling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bpnelson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First time attempting to post pics:

2vxk8iq.jpg

adc3n8.jpg

28b5iq8.jpg

As to the action wrench deal, I just used it to hold the receiver in place for a better grip on the barrel nut wrench. The action wrench was pretty much as close to the nut (front of the receiver) as I could get it to be. This is probably the second most depressing moment of my life. </div></div>

shocked.gif
right click > save as

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ~Ace~</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Obviously... But I never firmly attached the Ass End of a Action on the 50 or so Savages I have done... </div></div>

But you sir, are OBVIOUSLY assuming that I am as knowledgeable about these matters as you are.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nor would i expect savage to be any help with this matter. this is not a warranty issue. this is something you created. </div></div>

I never said otherwise. I already stated, I'm writing this off as user error. As in I fucked up. Lesson learned, I'm moving on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, did you tighten the action wrench on the rear bridge of the action? </div></div>

That was my first guess too.
laugh.gif

I wouldn't worry about the integrity of straightening those rails, but lining it up properly would be VERY difficult at best, wonder how you'd go about that. Might be a fun project...

As for all you geniuses who said, go buy a new one, have you ever seen a reweld receiver? Now THAT'S a losing proposition 9 times out of 10...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's only metal", I use to take 53' transport trailers that were rolled in the barditch and twisted like a pretzel, chain them down and twist them back the opposite way with a little extra for spring back, then repair what ever was crumpled.
SScott </div></div>

^^^Don't do this. Period. Secondly, it really does appear that you had the action wrench back at the ejection port or rear bridge. There is NO way to twist that action unless torque is being applied aft of the ejection port. Lastly, the way you should remove the barrel nut and barrel has been listed above. Better luck with the next one. There are a couple videos on youtube that a member posted (I think Axeman) that show the proper disassembly. Sorry for the loss.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"It's only metal", I use to take 53' transport trailers that were rolled in the barditch and twisted like a pretzel, chain them down and twist them back the opposite way with a little extra for spring back, then repair what ever was crumpled.
SScott </div></div>

^^^Don't do this. Period. Secondly, it really does appear that you had the action wrench back at the ejection port or rear bridge. There is NO way to twist that action unless torque is being applied aft of the ejection port. Lastly, the way you should remove the barrel nut and barrel has been listed above. Better luck with the next one. There are a couple videos on youtube that a member posted (I think Axeman) that show the proper disassembly. Sorry for the loss.

Josh </div></div>
Some of you act like little girls.
Ask yourselves what got bent??? Those two twigs of metal that hold the Back of the bolt, remember the bolt locks up in the front, and also remember Savage has a floating bolt head. If you take your time you should be able to get it straight enough to install a heavy duty steel one pice scope rail to help hold it in alignment. I am sure there is a Gunsmith that would get her fixed for ya, if you don't think you can do it.
SScott