• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hot Barreled Savage MK II F

J_Roger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2010
Commerce, MI
www.facebook.com
Hey all, just a question about my Savage MK II in the .22lr variety. I've been testing out different brands of ammo to see which works best with my rifle and during my tests I have noticed something that I can't seem to explain. First of all, the rifle is definitely above par with many brands of ammo, shooting .5 moa or better, but I have noticed that it really prefers the barrel to be hot. The first 2 or 3 rounds from a 10 round group will be fliers, but then the next 8 will all be hole to hole. Can anyone tell me if this is common or if something is wrong, or if something can be done to remedy the problem. I's shooting on a bipod with rear bag, with CCI Mini-mag (my rifle's preference thus far) and the problem again is most prevailent cold-bore (even if it has been more than 4 or 5 minutes between vollies) Thanks for your insight.

Re: Hot Barreled Savage MK II F

I have a MK2 and cold bore is always 1/2 inch left, and by the third shot it's right where i want it. I hold to the right on my first two shots and all others are held on target. As for the barrel....I'm not sure it's possible to wear one out,but I'm no expert!

How far off are these fliers? What distance? Is this the first group of the day? If so, it could just be you warming up and not the rifle. .22 rimfire barrels last for tens of thousands of rounds, unless you ruin it by improper or excessive cleaning.

Not unusual for a .22 to prefer being warmed up. Cleaning prolongs this process.

Like above, you'll probably wear a .22 barrel out from cleaning long before you could shoot it out. Most folks simply don't clean .22's until accuracy fall off far enough to be annoyingly noticable.

I've shot a lot of .22 in my 64 years, and I've never seen a .22 barrel get shot out.

Greg

I have one of these guns... very accurate 22LR, I don't have many problems with fliers, and when I do its typically my shooting. My gun prefers CCI standard velocity over everything else I have tried..

Dunno how to explain your fliers...

Thanks for all your input... good to know that my barrel will out last me and my kids probably, did not, however, know that cleaning too much was bad. I've always done as any good Marine would, and that's to clean my rifle every time i leave the range. Thanks for the insight all...