• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hot weather rain gear advice

dscl

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Legend
Jan 12, 2021
Illinois
I'll be shooting a match in Kentucky this coming weekend and the weather is calling for 90 degrees and showers/rain.

I'm curious what the best recommendations are to stay dry and not sweat my ass off either. Current forecast calls for rain only in the morning so something that could be worn over my normal clothes would be ideal, but I don't mind changing either if needed.

Rain gear is a trade off between getting wet from the outside and getting wet from the inside. If you’re going to be moving and it is going to be hot, you’re probably better off just accepting the rain.

Tell you what, for your next range trip, grab a lawn/leaf bag and cut a hole in the bottom. Put it on like a poncho and wear it while you shoot in the heat. If after your practice session, you’re wetter on the outside than the inside, wear the rain gear at your match.

Otherwise, unless you’re talking torrential downpours, you’ll probably be leaving the rain gear in the pack.

IMG_1144.jpeg

I'll be shooting a match in Kentucky this coming weekend and the weather is calling for 90 degrees and showers/rain.

I'm curious what the best recommendations are to stay dry and not sweat my ass off either. Current forecast calls for rain only in the morning so something that could be worn over my normal clothes would be ideal, but I don't mind changing either if needed.

It's going to be humid as fuck. Whatever you wear for conventional rain gear will drench you in sweat. If I were you I'd wear very lightweight, synthetic, breathable shirts, shorts, and underwear; and merino wool socks. Keep extras of every article of clothing in watertight plastic bags. Ziplocks are fine don't need river guide dry bag bullshit.

If you get wet, just be wet until you can change.

If you must have rain gear, get a $20 poncho from amazon and call it good.

Reactions: FatBoy
Already have the rifle protection in check. Any advice on the pants front?
just something synthetic. Prana stretch Zion are the best pants going, IMHO. The make same in shorts which would be my preference. Rain gear will be sweaty and gross at those temps. a rainjacket will keep you from getting soaked, pants will be miserable. It’s the paradox of rain gear: if it’s cold, you must not be wet but if it’s hot, you are wet either way.

Already have the rifle protection in check. Any advice on the pants front?
Personal preference, but if looking at various options, keep in mind, the fabric has to shed water quickly.

Reactions: FatBoy
I concur and I like nylon pants (REI has some cheap 5 belt loop, articulated with elastic in the back that are awesome at $30) and something like a Nike quick dry shirt or a Columbia/Huk quick dry light shirt. I actually wear cotton Tees mostly,knowing it’s going to suck and I just accept it.

I bring a change of shirt and socks, maybe a pair of sandals (if I really don’t give a shit or I’ve been soaked for hours ) in case we go out to eat after matches.

I’d prefer being wet over being a heat casualty.

Make sure you have dry lens cloths for at least your eye pro, if not your red dot/scope.

Edit: Rock creek, REI, etc have 50% off sale on North Face pants all the time. $35-$40 for a good pair of pants that will last years. No, they’re not Gucci anymore but they work. If you can find non-convertible pants I prefer those over the zip off legs, but they both leave their place.

Last edited:
Reactions: Modoc