• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes how are Zeiss Scopes?

anothervr6kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2010
SoCal
I am looking for a scope and I haven't seen too much on people using Zeiss scopes. How are they compared to a USO, Nightforce or S&B?

Also, I see there is Diarange line that is 2-3 times more than the Victory line... can any one give me any input on why that is?

Re: how are Zeiss Scopes?

Sure are asking a lot of questions for a n00b, learn to use the Search button brah.

Zeiss Conquest's are one of the better deals out there for hunting grade glass. As far as tactical type scopes are concerned, there's not much in the Zeiss lineup of interest. Lots of scopes with poor reticle choices, and very little travel. However, Zeiss is the parent company of Hensoldt which is at the top of the tactical scope world, right there with S&B.

All of my Zeiss are Conquests, and are used for hunting. The glass is excellent, better than my VXII Leupolds and my limited experience with VX3's. In my opinion the 3-9x40 Conquest is the best bargain out there for a hunting scope.
I haven't done very much turret twisting and LR stuff with the Conquests, so I can't comment on that part.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure are asking a lot of questions for a n00b, learn to use the Search button brah.

Zeiss Conquest's are one of the better deals out there for hunting grade glass. As far as tactical type scopes are concerned, there's not much in the Zeiss lineup of interest. Lots of scopes with poor reticle choices, and very little travel. However, Zeiss is the parent company of Hensoldt which is at the top of the tactical scope world, right there with S&B.

</div></div>

Hensoldt is the "tactical" or Military line of scopes.

I run a Zeiss Conquest 3x12X56 on the LTR 308. The problem is the amount of adjustment in the scope. I have it seating on a Varible Gantry Mount so this sloves the problem. The next thing with my scope is the SFP when I power up to 12X the crosshairs cover about 1" per 100 yards. So at 500y you cover most of a 5.5" caldwell target. Now don't get me wrong I like the glass better than the VXIII I got. But if your wanting a tactical scope you really need to give HDC Deadly a call or PM. The Hensoldt's are not cheap in any way shape or form. There top shelve stuff and you can't go wrong with them if it fits your bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure are asking a lot of questions for a n00b, learn to use the Search button brah.

</div></div>

Top of the tactical scope world huh.....really?

I always wonder how many folks/entities make these claims and have never done anything more than look thru them with a "human eye". Technology is far far better at making image type "assesments" than a human eye,and is a repeatable constant that can be excercised in almost endless enviromental conditions.

Not flaming the scope or the individual. Just making a statement for thought,so dont get all worked up.
sub,
out

Dude- scopes are to be used, not tested elswhere and "excercised in almost endless enviromental conditions"

use it, shoot with it, then rank it.

I have had two 6-26x56 Zeiss Diavaria, for being a "hunting" scope is sure has some nice reticle, mil dot and some decent adjustment travel, around 15 mil internal or what 40 ish MOA,

today I am glad to run a 4-16x56 Hennie and a 5-25 SuB,

the Hensoldt line is nice and together with SuB and a few others about as good as it gets.

/Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: subgunr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top of the tactical scope world huh.....really?

I always wonder how many folks/entities make these claims and have never done anything more than look thru them with a "human eye". Technology is far far better at making image type "assesments" than a human eye,and is a repeatable constant that can be excercised in almost endless enviromental conditions.

Not flaming the scope or the individual. Just making a statement for thought,so dont get all worked up.
sub,
out </div></div>

Snappp looks like I just got called out! Well buddy, I tried to make sense of the gibberish you posted.....something about how I should be using my scopes with something other than a "human eye". Hmm, OK I will have Han Solo weld me up a superior robotic eye so that I can get the most of my scopes.

Oh, and was there a point in all of that?

Consider me confused.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> As far as tactical type scopes are concerned, there's not much in the Zeiss lineup of interest. Lots of scopes with poor reticle choices, and very little travel. </div></div>
Huh??

Man..poor reticle choices.....very little travel.....I wonder if people have shot a Henny.

I liked mine so much I bought two....and a 3rd is about to replace my Premier.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephan Put</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a scope and I haven't seen too much on people using Zeiss scopes. How are they compared to a USO, Nightforce or S&B?

Also, I see there is Diarange line that is 2-3 times more than the Victory line... can any one give me any input on why that is? </div></div>

Like Austin said, Hensoldt is a "tactical" Zeiss scope. IIRC the Diarange scopes have a built in LRF to the scope. Zeiss glass is as good or better than anything I've ever seen. Never been able to use a Hensoldt or Zeiss for an extended period of time so I can't comment on their durability but many others here can attest to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hunter223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stephan Put</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a scope and I haven't seen too much on people using Zeiss scopes. How are they compared to a USO, Nightforce or S&B?

Also, I see there is Diarange line that is 2-3 times more than the Victory line... can any one give me any input on why that is? </div></div>

Like Austin said, Hensoldt is a "tactical" Zeiss scope. IIRC the Diarange scopes have a built in LRF to the scope. Zeiss glass is as good or better than anything I've ever seen. Never been able to use a Hensoldt or Zeiss for an extended period of time so <span style="font-weight: bold">I can't comment on their durability but many others here can attest to that.</span> </div></div>

We have never had one come back "broken"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tip em over</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Huh?? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man..poor reticle choices.....very little travel.....I wonder if people have shot a Henny.

I liked mine so much I bought two....and a 3rd is about to replace my Premier. </div></div>

Did either of you actually manage to read all five sentences of my response? Particularly the part where I said-

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 71firebird400</div><div class="ubbcode-body">However, Zeiss is the parent company of Hensoldt which is at the top of the tactical scope world, right there with S&B.
</div></div>

crazy.gif

As Austin pointed out, Hensoldt is Zeiss' lineup of tactical scopes (I was under the impression they were a seperate 'sub-division'). I stand by my original comment; outside of the Hensoldt's there is isn't much there for Zeiss scopes. Bad reticles, and little travel.

I have been running 3 Conquests for a while now and I think they are great scopes, but they are better suited to hunting and not tactical in my opinion. For my tactical oriented work, I prefer NF or USO. The glass in the Conquest is great. You will not go wrong with any of them, but if you want Zeiss and tactical, I would move up to the Hensoldt.

For Hunting purposes you can't beat a Zeiss Conquest, thats there budget line of scopes and even those optics are on par with some of the higher end scopes. Zeiss reticle choices are pretty basic their Rapid-Z reticle is a great for hunting the Rapid Z-1000 reticle matches somewhat closely to the trajectory of .308 and they have a calculator on Zeiss website to get it dialed in to what type of round your using. If you go with Conquest line pay the extra cash for the Target Knobs, they look nice, have a nice feel with good crisp clicks. Also if you go over 14x mag you lose some adjustment travel in their knobs but 14x and under with 20moa base you should be good to go for reaching out at longer distances. If I were building a pure hunting rig I wouldn't think twice of buying another Conquest scope for the price they are the best in my opinion.

I traded my Conquest 4.5-14x50mm with rapid Z 1000 reticle for a H&K handgun because in my state you can't hunt with rifles and there are better choices out there for plinking targets I now have a killer US Optics 3.5-15x44 SSDS that fits that bill perfectly and has more of a tacticool feel to it.

There are basically two levels of Zeiss scopes. The Conquest line which uses components from europe and is assembled in the USA and is marketed as a competitor with the VX-3 Leupold level of optics. There is also the German manufactured Zeiss scopes.

These German models are the high end of optics and well worth the additional expense. They come in a multitude of reticles but often confuse entry level buyers with some of their euro specs. First Plane Reticle's, 30mm tubes, #4 reticles etc.. If you have the money, get a German made Zeiss and you have a scope for life.

If you shoot next to a guy at range who has a couple of the Hensoldts and he lets you try them, you will wonder if you can beat him up, take them and get away. LOL

Seriously, tried three at a match and just could not believe how nice they are. One day, one day I will own one.

I just purchased a zeiss Diavari 6-24 x 56 last week and could probably see at night with a decent full moon. I love my scope! Had the nikons and always thought they were good, but little did I know... I am sure there are scopes better though, but for the money i dont think you can beat it.