• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How cold is too cold for stainless?

Re: How cold is too cold for stainless?

What are the reasons you would not shoot a barrel when it is cold? I can see why you would not want to shoot a firearm with lots of moving parts in the cold, as you could have frozen parts.

Does stainless steel become noticeably more brittle or something? I think I have read something about titanium becoming more brittle in extreme colds, but I do not know what is defined as EXTREME cold.

Never had an issue with any rifle in cold weather, we hunt and shoot when it gets brutal cold. Our last range day was -15 when we got there. The only issues I have had are semi auto shotguns not cycling, but a little break free tends to take care of that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know it is not recommended to shoot stainless barrels in real cold temps.

I got to go shoot this weekend (finally) and it was about 5 degrees. How cold does it have to be before you will not shoot your stainless barrels? </div></div>

Temperature tolerance for stainless will exceed that of human's tolerance for extreme temperatures.

I have read somewhere that the tencle strength of stainless drops when it is cold. I thought that barrel manufacturers recommended against shooting the stainless barrels when it is really cold.

I will have to look it up.

As far as rifles freezing up, a good bolt rifle will function fine in even the most severe conditions. I have no issue with that, just currious at what point it could be dangerous to shoot a stainless barrel.

OK, I guess there is some debate over it. Lilja claims it is a myth:

Q. Can stainless steel barrels be safely fired in sub zero temperatures?

Yes they certainly can be. There is a myth going around that stainless steel alloys used in rifle barrels loose their strength in sub zero temperatures. There is no truth to that. We have made many thousands of barrels that have been fired safely in below zero temperatures as have all of the other custom barrel makers as well as the major arms manufacturers. This is an urban legend that should be chilled
But, Krieger warns against it:

Stainless Steel....It is inadvisable to use stainless steel in very cold temperatures; i.e. below 0 Degrees, as stainless loses fattigue resistance in very cold weather.
Screw it, I will just run 'em and not worry about it.

eta: shit, sorry, it looks like this was recently covered in the Gunsmithing section. Guess I should start reading that section...

theirs also a differance in thermal expansion , SS will shrink a little more in cold temps , combine that with a tight bore and you may have some pressure issues , likely not enough to warent a destruction.

I had no problems shooting my Stainless barreled guns this weekend in single digit temperatures.

DSCN5105.jpg

DSCN5104.jpg

DSCN5102.jpg

Artic Warfare's of all flavors were purpose built for that enviroment they are all stainless steel barrels.Yet to hear of one having a barrel failure.I believe I saw they are rated for -40c to +70c.

Most "Stainless" Barrels are not true stainless anyway. its just a stainless finish. Or let me make myself more clear, i have never seen a true stainless gun. A magnet will NOT stick to true stainless and i have never seen or had a gun that it wouldn't stick to!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ahorn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most "Stainless" Barrels are not true stainless anyway. its just a stainless finish. Or let me make myself more clear, i have never seen a true stainless gun. A magnet will NOT stick to true stainless and i have never seen or had a gun that it wouldn't stick to!

</div></div>

most stainless barrels are in fact a grade of stainless steel, not just a finish. 416 stainless is magnetic. it is not the most corrosion resistant grade of stainless steel but it is a "stainless steel" by definition.

300, you are probably correct on that! I just know from working shut downs in chicken plants several years ago we were all tought to carry a magnet in your pocket to make damn sure what exactly you were working with... Stainless, Aluminum, Galvanived, etc. That is why i assumed i never had a true stainless gun.

We all know what assume means!!!!

This probably has something to do with the metals "toughness" indicated by the Charpy Impact. Basically, it is an indication of the temperature at which failure passes from ductile to brittle. This is important for steels exposd to low temperatures.