How do you setup a dope card

If you’re talking about for stages, I use business card sized white board cards.

I write down the elevation data on the left side of the card and then make 2 or 3 columns on the right side with different wind holds depending on how challenging I think the wind is going to be on that stage. If it’s varying winds I write 3 if it’s pretty steady and I already have a good grip on the wind from the last stage I write 2.

I also use an arm band for confusing stages where the order is difficult. I will write the target order or location to help keep me on track.

Can I see photos of some dope card setups please. I went to my first PRS rimfire match and was unprepared and got a good spanking. One thing I need to add is a dope card. Please discuss.
IMG_2933.jpeg

Here’s a picture of how mine was set up on a recent stage. Each line is the set of targets for each position with the corresponding dope.
Regardless of how easy or simple the stage is, I ALWAYS right down the sequence. I’ve had brain farts and have been lost in the sauce even on simple things.

I have the same one. White board = easy button.

I also have an e-Dope that's pretty dope. You can put all the stages into your phone beforehand and how you want it to lay out, and then each stage you can just bluetooth it to the card. I like that one because I don't have the greatest handwriting and I prefer looking at printed data.

There is a stage on this month's NRL that has an order beyond trying to remember. Something like: near, far, middle, far, middle, near, middle, far, near, middle, far, near. I looked at my dope card and dialed every shot (and cleaned it). There is no fing way I would have been able to transition to the correct targets without looking at a cheat sheet. Remembering a couple of ranges and mils is no problem, but it would be really hard to shoot positional matches without a card on your rifle. No one can remember all that under time pressure. Having it right there takes a ton of pressure off of you and lets you concentrate on the fundamentals rather than worrying about numbers.

I create tear offs using masking tape. Then I will write down the DOPE and any notes prior to the stage. When over, I tear it off and have a clean sheet ready to go.

To create the tear offs, I take the masking tape and pull it out to approximately the length of the DOPE board, a little longer, especially the bottom, and then fold the bottom onto itself creating a tab, then repeat until I have 10 - 12 sheets. Then I take a pair of scissors and cut the tops off clean with the top of the DOPE board.

IMG_2069.jpeg

You will see every different thing at a match. No two people's brains work exactly the same. You just have to play with it and see what works best for you. You will probably end up with a half dozen data card holders/systems before you find the one that you're most comfortable with, or you can get one and just shoot it till you don't know anything else.

It's sort of like flip up scope caps. I see guys running those flip up scope caps at every match. I used to also, but I seemed to smash a set up every time I competed with them, and after buying a few sets and smashing them up I just stopped trying to use them.

You may need both of these. I have two Hawk Hill. One is pic and one is Spuhr. If you run a Spuhr you likely won’t have room to mount the pic style. I also have the wrist style. In PRS type matches and known distance match, I consult my Kestrel, write DOPE on a piece of blue painters tape and attach to the Hawk Hill. Usually there is time for this in these type of matches.
In the find it, range it, engage it, type matches, there will be no time for consulting ballistic soulution software. Print the data on the card and put it into the wrist holder.
The one other additional item I have is a portable printer to print the DOPE cards when I travel to matches that have elevation above and beyond my normal elevation here in Va (read ~450 asl). Prints from my IPhone using an Excel type app. I have to input the data from my Kestrel.
This works well for what I do, but as stated earlier, you need to play around with some and see what works for your style, brain, and match type.

This is what I use: https://riflesonly.com/slap-data-card/

It's a "slap card", meaning that you just slap it on your wrist and it'll conform and stay put. Has a water-proof(ish) compartment to put your data card(s). For data cards, I use the RO ones as I have a bunch of them, but anything will really work.

I like to put distances, dope, wind brackets (low/high), and if needed, information like target sequence, target ID, holdovers, etc.

I like these. I use the v1 version. I like that they are basically impossible to break or to knock off. I leave them on even when the gun is in the bag.

Reactions: Bridgebuilder34
I like these. I use the v1 version. I like that they are basically impossible to break or to knock off. I leave them on even when the gun is in the bag.

I have the v2 of this and it is durable and I have not taken it off my gun since I bought it. Still has not done me wrong yet…

@Prknives here makes a nice printed one. It can pivot out of the way when smacked and doesn’t curl and lean away like some fabric ones over time.
I use his also, simple and they work great for me. As others have stated, look at various options and pick the one you work best with. I use to use an arm board type but I ended up liking the one right in my field of view instead of having to look over at my arm all the time.