• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

How do you stay motivated with running?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I've gotten back to the point of running 30 mins easily at a 6-7mph pace. I could probably go longer but lately I've been holding it to 30 and will step it up in another week or so.

When I started a few weeks ago after a LONG stint away from running, I could barely do 12 minutes at 5mph.

Well, I'm getting to that point to where I am getting bored with it. I was just at the gym late on the treadmill, warmed up with some crunches and stretched and went 15 mins on the treadmill fairly fast - I could easily have gone 15+ minutes longer, but I just had ZERO willpower. I've noticed this is starting to become a trend lately where I have to mentally fight myself to complete my allotted time or distance.

It's not that I physically can't; it's that I am mentally done running and would rather be doing anything except. I blast my music, I tried to motivate myself with thinking about certain things but somehow my willpower just goes blah.

Suggestions? What has worked for you? I'm sure I can't be the only one that has encountered this. My main concern is that it will make me lapse with my running/progression schedule again.

Thanks

Re: How do you stay motivated with running?

Train for a race. Pick a 5K or 10K in your area or even a Warrior Dash or Toughmudder.

If I don't have a goal, I get pretty unmotivated, too. I also find running outdoors helps a lot. Run half your run outside and you have no choice but to run home.

Reserve the treadmill for *ONLY* when you *have* to use it.

Run trails if you can find them... it's a lot easier for me to lose myself in my running on trails than on streets. In addition, most trails have varied terrain, and break up the workout.

Find a running partner. This is a must. A good training partner will show up at your desk when it's raining out and provide you with the motivation to go out the door for a lunch run, instead of skipping. Everything is easier and better when you have someone to share it with and someone to push you.

Vary your workouts. Do a long run. Do some fartleks or speed drills. Run stairs or hills. Mix it up.

If you run by yourself, run with an MP3 player and use music you can get lost in.

These work for me and I've been running now for over 20 years. My wife is my training partner now (yeah, I've slowed down a bit...) and I wouldn't get it done without her.

Good luck... it's worth it to keep in good condition. I missed out on running for a couples years and let me tell you... it's a lot easier to stay in shape than to get back in shape.

John

Great ideas from both of you.

I was motivated for a while to get back to a point where I was actually running, and for at least 30 minutes. Once I got there it was like I hit a wall. Been there, done that...why am I doing this again...

I became concerned the other day when I had to literally force myself through every of the last 10 minutes...I wouldn't stop STARING at the timer. It felt like I had run for 3 hours at that point...but not physically.

What has me worried is starting over would be devastating. The sheer agony of starting to run again is enough to keep putting it off. Not too long ago I was fighting to go for 10 straight minutes and felt like I was going to die. I do NOT want to go through that shit again.

The running partner may be tricky, but its a solid idea that I have heard about often in the past. I also may look into different music as I seem to listen to the same 5 or 6 tracks on my iPod even though I have over 200 songs on it.

What's wrong with the treadmill though? I actually started using it more frequently when I ran last time because I would get knee pains that would make me stop any real physical activity for a week at a time. It was partially due to not having the right type of shoe, which I have since had 'diagnosed' and fixed. The treadmill was a lot lower impact on my knee it seemed and I liked knowing what my pace was as well as what distance I covered.

Maybe the treadmill will work OK for you... for me it's a terror. I ran for years in CA. Rain or shine, 6 days a week, every week of the year outdoors. In MT it get's so nasty, it's just NOT an option, sooo... into the shop and face the dreaded treadmill. Winter can be 6 months here. It just gets old, and I've used up a LOT of my mental over the years, so staying in the game is really tough. But if it works for you and is convenient... go for it.

John

I agree wholeheartedly with picking a goal (i.e. race) and/or getting a running partner. As far as listening to music, make sure you only keep one earbud in. I've known several people who ran with earbuds in who ended up getting mugged. I enjoy running. I'm currently healing from arthroscopic surgery on my hip so I can get back to running. Have a dog? My dog is one of my favorite running buddies.

Try running outside; on wooded paths, on trails, in the park, etc. This will keep your brain "busy" looking at different things other than the backboard of your treadmill. This approach has really helped me in the not-too-distant-past.

Concerning staying motivated; 5 Hour Energy has always helped me.

I get like this a lot. What works for me is a couple of specific episodes of JAG. Sounds stupid I know, but each time I hit a wall I get out the old episodes out that I watched when I was in the Army Reserve, they bring back good memories and inspire me to run again and dispel all thoughts of quitting.

Lose the weight and work your way into being a "good runner". Work on your stride mechanics and get efficient. You'll look forward to your runs and take shorts & shoes when you travel just to be able to run. When you're good at it, that will be all the motivation you'll need.

+1 to mr300, sometimes running a routine gets me into a rut, switching up the scenery and workout help allot. that way if i feel like an easy run i hit an elliptical if i want a true work out i run trails if i just want out, i run around the neighborhood.

Staing motivated whial doing anything is the same. You just have to set your mind to it. I train hard all the time and when I am feeling my worse I train even harder, none of it is for physical gains it all mental traning. Anyone can push themself physically no matter what type of condition they are in, the trick is to mentally push your self. If you do this the physical part will be there. I have never been the fastest, strongest or bigest at anything I do, but I always have a good showing because I am as mentally tough or tougher than anyone else. So my point here is this: ask your self is running important to you and if so why? Then ask your self do you have a lot of pride in your self? Next do you know your limates, I can promice you dont truely know your limates. Dont you want to see what you are capable of, keeping in mind there is NEVER an end, your goals are constantly changing.

Well this is just what I do, and it works for me. I have had to train through some tough stuff and its never easy but its always worth it.

Good luck, SEMPER FI!

Change things up a bit maybe? I am just getting back into running seriously again. I was a competitive runner in highschool and through college. I ran 100-400m when I was younger but switched to 5ks in my twenties. I am now in my late 30's and just moved into a new house next to a public park with a trail that is exactly 2 miles long. So my new goal is to do that trail in 12 min or less.

I have run for a long time now, these things may have been said already but what the hay. For 1 get off the treadmill, hit the streets, trails, paths, whatever, but away from the machine...there is nothing worse than running on the treadmill. Running outside in hot, cold, rainy, or whatever God throws at you is just another challenge. Running outside also helps to work off stress built up during the day, while I run, I think of all different kinds of things...it puts my mind somewhere else.

I like to train for something, pick out a 5k, 10k,etc... work up to it and once you complete it find a new goal. I also like to keep track of my mileage with a GPS...track my progress per week, month, and years. One more thing, don't always go out and run the same route or speed, do fartlikes I know I butchered that word, but do interval training or repeats...switch it up. Take what I've said with a grain of salt, but this is what I do and this is why I run.

Went running outside today and HOLY SHIT is it a huge difference from the treadmill. I haven't run outside in quite a while and never thought too much of it, but after going on the treadmill almost 100% of the time and then trying to run outside - I can run maybe HALF of the time I can on the treadmill.

After 15 minutes I felt like I hit a fucking wall whereas I can go 6-7mph on the treadmill for 30-40minutes.

Anyone have a technique to really work up your time/distance outside besides simply running every time until you feel like you are about to fall over? Any set routines?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After 15 minutes I felt like I hit a fucking wall whereas I can go 6-7mph on the treadmill for 30-40minutes.</div></div>

Oh, yeah. That is the other thing I forgot to mention about treadmills. Unless you switch back and forth a lot between them and the road, you will lose calibration of road speed and most treadmills are WAAY off.

It's not bad if they read slow... but if they are optimistic you might want to knife yourself after your first run back on the road.
    grin.gif

John

I watch this video, and watch/read why he runs (to raise money for fallen soldiers, and he hates running)..
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hSNtyYZlFU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hSNtyYZlFU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I find running with people in my unit I put out a lot more than just running by myself or running with my girlfriend.

There are a couple guys on my shift that run for 30-60 minutes after work everyday. I just pick a guy and run next to him and dont allow myself to fall back.

When I am by myself I have to be in the mood to run and I choose to do so where I can loose myself in the sights around me, concentrate on my breathing and keep myself from looking at my watch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fokai_zach</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I watch this video, and watch/read why he runs (to raise money for fallen soldiers, and he hates running)..
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hSNtyYZlFU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5hSNtyYZlFU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

</div></div>

Holy BLEEP !! This guy is a badass. I used to be proud of my 45 mins in a tradmill at age 35 but a 48 hour run is ridiculous. I feel like going for a run after watching the video.

+1 on dropping the treadmill. Its night and day difference between the road, trail, track.

If I get bored, I take a different route, vary it up a bit. If I start slacking on off days, I take the dog with and try to wear him out, doesnt work but its something to strive for.

Damn, I used to run 5 miles a day. Except for Sundays. Then I would goes surf a for a couple hours and go to work. This guy is awesome. Man, I have to get out and run. That was motivating for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...surf a for a couple hours ...</div></div>
    Theres a friggin workout.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Angry_Pirate</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter McGavin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...surf a for a couple hours ...</div></div>
    Theres a friggin workout. </div></div>

When I did I was in the best shape of my life and I considered it fun, but not really a work out. If your not in shape it can be a workout.

Ran at night for the first time in a very long time. Used an old safety vest and all back lonely roads but it was fun. Didn't feel like 10 miles.

It's all mental; occupy your mind with something other than the task of one foot in front of the other. I have gone through my drop chart data (memorize your drop tables), counted up in prime, worked through hand to hand street survival skills, etc… just keep your mind busy and elsewhere.

I understand why some people like to be plugged in when running, I believe it is unsafe but… if you’re going to do that just be aware of your surroundings especially if you are on the road. There is a lot of stupid people out there that won’t see you no matter what your wear and those that intentionally come close to hitting you just because …

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheGerman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Went running outside today and HOLY SHIT is it a huge difference from the treadmill. I haven't run outside in quite a while and never thought too much of it, but after going on the treadmill almost 100% of the time and then trying to run outside - I can run maybe HALF of the time I can on the treadmill.

After 15 minutes I felt like I hit a fucking wall whereas I can go 6-7mph on the treadmill for 30-40minutes.

Anyone have a technique to really work up your time/distance outside besides simply running every time until you feel like you are about to fall over? Any set routines?

</div></div>

Running on the road, the road doesn't move itself underneath your feet. When I step onto a treadmill it just feels unnatural to me, my stride is different, my posture different and I can't wait for it to be over with. It's simulated running. I'm not a fast runner by any definition, I just go my own pace and focus on enjoying the run. My goal is to get into the kind of shape where I can run as far as I want without stopping and still enjoy it. I never run with anyone else for several reasons... I like to run my own pace rather than speed up/slow down for a running partner, I HATE it when someone tries to carry on a conversation while I'm running and other than that it's just a good time to either clear your head or think something through. Some good motivation is to run at a park or walking trail where there will be plenty of women to look at, fall in behind one with stretchy shorts on and follow those ass cheaks for a couple miles!

While running on the road is bad on your knees, find a local HS track and run.

Running allows time to think and sort out thoughts, much like meditation.

It's good for mind and body.

I was just allowed to run again about 3 weeks ago after surgery. I have not been able to run for 6-7 months and no matter waht I did I gained weight. My motivation is to loose that weight and get back to the way I once was, and seeing how much better I feel after running again.

Start running with soft surfaces is most important. And slow, work up into longer distances. Summer training for D1 college running, I start around 25-30 miles per week, and just add 5 every week. Once I hit my top mileage, I will then hold it before it is time to taper. Avoid the treadmill though, like people have said. Only use it when it needs to be used.

Sing songs, think of daily life, run with partners, and always think about running a lot farther. I know from experience that if I tell myself I am going to run 20 miles by myself, the shorter stuff (10-15) will come a lot easier. You can try to mentally trick yourself. Also, run in new places, or on trails when things are always changing. I don't like to have an iPod when I run, but this works for a lot of my friends. Maybe give that a go!