• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes How important is an illum Reticle

chenha

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2010
Nevada
I am a new guy on the block and want to get a nice scope for my 308. Most shooting will be between 200-1000yrds Likely 600 will be the most common long distance.
How important is illum reticle?

Re: How important is an illum Reticle

What hours of the day are you planning at shooting?

If it's all during the day, you wont need it.

Plus identifying your target at 1k at dusk/dawn when you'd want an illum. reticle, would be pretty difficult.

All the high-end tactical scopes tend to have illum reticle since it's geared towards .mil/leo which may need to shoot at any given time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its better have and not need than need and not have</div></div>
+1 on that...

I have one and have yet to actually fire my rifle with the reticle illuminated. That being said, it would bother me if I didn't have it- but that's just the type of guy I am.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its better have and not need than need and not have</div></div>
+1 on that... </div></div>

Yup.

The few shots I have needed mine convinced me that it is an option I want available on all my scopes.

It sounds like when u have the illuminated option and need to use it, it makes a bad ass difference. I have just heard from many people that they have the illumination and have yet to use it after many years. I hunt every few years so it may come in handy, otherwise I don't shoot too much at dusk or dawn. Any other occasions or situations that illumination is really beneficial?

They are in the better to have and not need category.

Quite a few years ago, I had a (rare for TN at the time) trophy buck come into view in the last minutes of legal shooting light.

The optic DID NOT have a light, and for the life of me, I could not find the where the crosshairs were located on the buck, so no shot was taken and I had to let the biggest I had ever seen, up to that point, walk.

I always order lit reticles now, for any scope that stands any chance of seeing duty on a hunting rig.

Additionally, they not only increase your market size if you ever decide to resale but they also hold better value.

Unless you absolutely cannot afford it, get it.

Again, for low light situations they are a necessity. I shoot sniper matches so they are very useful on the low light or night time stages. I also like them on my deer hunting rifles for making shots in the early morning or late evening.

been hunting deer for 10 years now and had only one shot i might have liked to have one. made the shot without it fine tho by "framing" the animal that hid the crosshair
id put them in the category with lasers, leave them to the light saber wielding jedi masters.

I have never had one, and can't honestly say I've ever missed one either.

In a 'do or die' circumstance, If I can see the target well enough to center it in the scope's field of vision, I would take the shot with the understanding that it will probably be accurate to within a 'minute of bad guy'. Besides, humans don't do such a good job of running away that I'd be unlikely to get a followup.

For noble game, I would probably pass. A trophy animal deserves a clean kill.

I think the main point here is that a responsible shooter takes reasonable care to ensure a clean hit that does not endanger unintended quarry. The situation's potential consequences will determine a lot of what 'reasonable care' translates down to.

Greg

The only times where I think it's a must is:

1) Mil/LEO
2) Hunting where minimal/fading light is an issue
3) Daily commitments prevent you from shooting in clear daylight

Shooting in low to no light isn't a whole hell of a lot of fun. Illumination for long range really only fits the bill for when there is enough light to see the target, but not enough to be collected by the scope for clear use with the black reticle. If you know you're going to be doing a lot of shooting in the dark, invest in NV.

And let's be realistic here, in fading light, how far are we honestly going to be shooting?

And just so it doesn't come up later, this is in regards to the OP's reference for a .308 bolt gun out to 1000y, but mostly around 600y. So, I'm talking in terms of scopes magnified well beyond 4x. Aimpoints, EOTechs, and ACOGs are another story

If you are considering something like a USO or a Leupold (God forbid), I'd say save the coin. Now if you go S&B, NF, Hensoldt, you're going to get it whether you like it or not.

I've used it a few times when targeting an object that is dark with a dark background, but still daylight conditions. Seldom used, but glad I had it when I needed it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JSTARSZ</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its better have and not need than need and not have</div></div>
+1 on that... </div></div>

Yup.

The few shots I have needed mine convinced me that it is an option I want available on all my scopes. </div></div>

That is why I have it. Have used it a handful of times. That being said if I did not have it.......

I don't find an illuminated reticle something I have to have, or even find that useful, but it is kind of cool. It's nice to have just to have though. However, I wouldn't sweat it if I bought a scope without it.

Odd how all the new guys are going to shoot to 1000 yards. Right off the bat. Will learn to mount a scope, load ammo, wind dope, shoot at short and mid range, and all the little, unimportant stuff later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chenha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am a new guy on the block and want to get a nice scope for my 308. Most shooting will be between 200-1000yrds Likely 600 will be the most common long distance.
How important is illum reticle? </div></div>

I found it to be almost completely unneeded for my shooting and I shoot at all hours. I've found once it gets so dark to where
I can't pick up the reticle, I cant see the image through the scope anyway and if I can the illum even on the lowest setting washes out my eye's night vision. fwiw

jedi's, internet creds, etc.....I love the bullshit that comes up whenever this question is asked.

I have used my illumination many times to make better shots or shots that I otherwise would not have had a good aiming point on a target (ie: night shoots, shots on a darker target in the shadows, or just shots at distance that other shooters present couldn't take in broad daylight in hazy conditions with targets in the shaded crook of a mountain that blended with the background).

If any of you prefer to hold your wind when you can barely discern the target's boarder and reticle superimosed on it, by all means go right ahead. Me, I'll click the reticle on dimly and have an exact aiming point.

Just because a target can be bracketed in the bolder lines and shot doesn't mean that's the way that will result in the best outcome possible.

The OP asked how important, and based on my experience I won't do without it unless I need to.
Do I use it all the time, oh hell no. Do I want to find myself wanting it to make a better shot when I know it would help, oh hell no.
Will I take every advantage I can to have a better outcome on a hunting trip or a competition that isn't cheap to begin with-oh hell yeah!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jedi's, internet creds, etc.....I love the bullshit that comes up whenever this question is asked.

I have used my illumination many times to make better shots or shots that I otherwise would not have had a good aiming point on a target (ie: night shoots, shots on a darker target in the shadows, or just shots at distance that other shooters present couldn't take in broad daylight in hazy conditions with targets in the shaded crook of a mountain that blended with the background).

If any of you prefer to hold your wind when you can barely discern the target's boarder and reticle superimosed on it, by all means go right ahead. Me, I'll click the reticle on dimly and have an exact aiming point.

Just because a target can be bracketed in the bolder lines and shot doesn't mean that's the way that will result in the best outcome possible.

The OP asked how important, and based on my experience I won't do without it unless I need to.
Do I use it all the time, oh hell no. Do I want to find myself wanting it to make a better shot when I know it would help, oh hell no. Will I take every advantage I can to have a better outcome on a hunting trip or a competition that isn't cheap to begin with-oh hell yeah!! </div></div>

Good reply. +1

I have em in all my scopes, with that said I have used them not a once, zero. It is an option though if ever the day comes that the zombies are beyond 200 yards and closing quickly at dusk. Then again I've never used my green laser beam or surefire flashlight for hunting applications either but they're cool damnit!

I find low level illumination useful in minimal light situations, especially hunting. Some of the woodlands that I hunt in are pretty dark, even mid-day. Having the illumination is nice to have in those moments, especially when engaging a moving target.

thanks so much for the feedback guys!!! I definitely know what you mean, i have one of my AR's with rails, lights, and lasers--just in case. =)

I have been shooting for over 30 years: clay, pistol, tactical, hunting, etc. I am no stranger to rifle shooting, just the long range aspect is new to me. One thing that i have found interesting is how much street credit Leupold has in the hunting arena. I think it is primarily because of the fact that many hunters shoot in the 150-400 yard range will calibers that are pretty flat shooting so adjustments are not that critical to take out large game.

Having come from that background, the new series of Leupold scopes with a custom dial seems attractive to many of us guys that want to start stretching out beyond that distance. One popular hunting model has adjustable dials based on the cartridge and environmental factors. This is attractive to hunters that may be out in the field and have very limited time to make adjustment before they lose the shot. http://www.leupold.com/VX-3CDS

From the feedback i received, it seems like the above scope may be fine to hit the vitals of a deer at 500 yrds out, but it is not going to be competitive compared to the NF, S&B, etc.
I always seem to run into the problem—trying to find something that is a one size fits all (e.g. can’t have a CQB Rifle be a precision long range sniper). Same goes with a scope, I am looking for something that I can use for hunting in the 150-350yrd range, target shooting /plinking between 200-600, and also able to OCASSIONALLY shoot further with some friends.
Am I going down the wrong track with the above Leupold Type adjustible dial system?

On my IOR scope, the illumination is useless - not enough bright in daylight but too bright in dusk/dawn. But on the NF it works great even on the Burris xtreme. If you ever want to sell your scope in the future its easier when it has illuminated recticles.