Rifle Scopes How much is too much scope?

superzeus

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2009
Los Angeles/Notre Dame
I have an SPS Tactical, and am looking to upgrade the VX-III on it. It only has 2.5-8x magnification and it has no range estimation. I am looking for something that is ffp and mil/mil. I realize that you need to pay a premium to get good optics, but how much is too much scope for my rifle? I was thinking of a ffp Leupold Mark 4, but is it worth it to step it up to the next tier such as US Optics?

I want to eventually upgrade this rifle as well as get another more expensive precision rifle down the road. Is a mark 4 adequate for my purposes or should I get say a US Optics or something along those lines and "buy once, cry once"?

Re: How much is too much scope?

I would take Suckpold out of the equation. Scopes you should be looking at are the Nightforce F1 FFP mil/mil, USO and Premiere Heritage.

And to answer your other question, there is no such ting as too much scope. A good scope is an investment, it will last you a lifetime.

Just messing with you. Welcome to the site. USO is a great scope, probably my first choice. SN3 3.2-17 is a great power range for that rifle. Schmidt&Bender is also a superior optic and Premier has excellent feedback...I have not played with one yet to be able to comment on it. A lot of guys like Nightforce but I seem to have trouble focusing the reticle and target at the same time. Search the forum for a while, there are endless posts on good glass.

Too much scope usually means that the magnification is such that you cannot accomplish the task the rifle is intended for.

If you can swing it, I think you would be very happy with a USO SN-3. After two days shooting with mine I am very happy with it. There is no comparison to Leupold and I am glad I did not go that route.

I don't have any experience with the Premeir or Nightforce F1, but they get good reviews here. S&B and Hendsoldt are also brands to look at if you can afford them.

Keep in mind that a used Leupold is just a used Leupold. A USO is an investment and one in good shape can sell quickly for close to what you paid for it.

I would also look in another direction than Leupold. I'm not bashing them, but the scopes I had experience with just didn't satisfy me. Currently I'm using a Nightforce 12-42 and I'm very happy with it. I have no experience with the FFP versions, but I bet you wouldn't be disappointed. Only you can determine what is too much scope though, just pick what magnification you're comfortable with and go with that.

Wow, 5 posts and nobody said fill out your profile.
laugh.gif

If you decide to go USO I know a guy that can probably help you out
wink.gif

Cheers,

Doc

You can always dial down if you don't need the extra mag....

From your question I'd say buy a SWFA SS, or a Falcon and wait to
"buy once cry once" when you know what you want/need, rather than making a large investment based on internet advice.

Fill out your profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dark Horse</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try a Hubble. </div></div>
I'm with Dark Horse here. This is 'MERICA!!!! Freedom of choice, commerce, and freedom of contract (read your U.S. Constitution!)!!!

The only time you could have too much scope is if it makes the rifle too heavy to easily use.

I own a USO, and I have a second one in transit right now. The glass is excellent, and the clarity is very good in lowlight conditions even with a 44mm objective and an ARD attached to the scope. They are extremly durable, and the scope has never let me down..even after a heavy drop on concrete.

With that being said, I also have a Premier 3-15. I did a comparison last evening in lowlight conditions. The glass is phenominal. At 500 yards, crystal clean. Excellent, sharp images that are very vivid. The USO quality of glass is one step bellow, however you have dependability which the Premier has not yet been earned with me.

My 2 cents. I'm not tiring to stir any shit or nothing.

You want proven dependability, get a USO SN3. You want to try the latest and greatest, get the premier. You want the best get a Hensoldt