• Frank's Lesson's Contest

We want to see your skills! Post a video between now and November 1st showing what you've learned from Frank's lessons and 3 people will be selected to win a free shirt. Good luck everyone!

Create a channel Learn more
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing how to paint webbing

summitsitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2008
Crowville, Louisiana
I have a black HS stock coming that I want to paint olive drag with black webbing. How do I make the webbing. I thought about getting a can of black paint, sticking a paintbrush down in it and then jsut slinging the paintbrush towards the stock. Anybody got a better method to get teh webbing look?

Re: how to paint webbing

Fishnet panty hose or a laudry bag. If if your talking about that webbing finish that is on the factory stocks that looks like someone blew their nose.....I don't have a clue. I think
I have seen some specialty paint in a can that duplicated that finish.

sorry maybe webbing isn't the word I'm looking for.. This is how I want it to turn out
wyattBC.jpg

Summit: The Krylon webbing spray works great but is limited to a few colors, black, white, silver, and I think green (but its a darker green - not OD). It works well but the size of the actual "web" will be a bit larger than those seen on HS and B&C stocks. I have painted several with the Krylon and the web size is usually dependant on how "fresh" the can is, temperature, and the quickness of your arm as you "swipe" the stock. Here is an XP I did a while back with the silver. SR

May086BRXPs002.jpg

The Krylon webbing is very application dependent, get two cans so you can practice. It kind of falls into place rather than being sprayed directly on. Once cured it seems to be at least as durable as duracoat but no where near cerakote. You can be very creative and do lots of different stuff with it.

Does the webbing actually have a textured finish to it, or is it fairly smooth over the stock? I'm thinking about doing my Am-180 furniture in this application.
Steve