How to store match 22lr ammo

Gros21

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2019
I'm looking for ideas to old a few boxes of 22lr I can not legally put them into my hard case.

I used to keep 90% of my ammo in my veh in a massive tool box 6x1.5 foot toolbox behind cab but I'm trying to be better.

Plus I have a few months to wait till my v22 is here.

I use this - https://amzn.to/35z5DwF

1588742680782.png

I'm also looking at something to load 50~100 loose rounds as I bought some bulk eley and sk mag.

But I may look arround locally for those cases also

I'm aware vudoo sells some cases but at $130-$170 they are way out of my budget.

For my normal go to Cci sv this fits a few boxes perfectly.

But the more aqward size of max ammo has thrown a spanner in the worxs.

I'd love a neat mtm small ammo can solution.

$30, 150rds. In their own trays so there's no tedious handling of individual rounds or flip trays

View attachment 7318520

Nice! I have a few with custom trays thay hold 80 each, don’t recall the brand though. They’re smaller than that, so hand when space is limited, but I do have to individually transfer from the box to the case which is a pain. I may be ordering a 1020 case now, too!

This was for my 10/22 - View attachment 7318548

Haven't built a new tray for the V22 yet though.

So you made that tray? If so, what would you charge to have another made? I just got a 10/22, and this would be excellent for range day use as well. :) Also, which case is that, a 1060?

Thanks, gents!

Curious about this statement. Where are you located?
I was confused on that too
Pretty sure he's in Australia...

Yep australia. Load of crap. We need to remove bolts also and have all firearms secured.

Plus as I have a firearm license I am on the police computers.

Also if I have my rifle in the car and go fill up I must kick everyone out of the car lock it up and go pay. Pay at pump isnt that common here plus I'm not sure if I can even even just exit veh to fill up while others sit in car

Qld.

You can do it if it's in a differnt compartment eg standard rifle soft case and throw a box in the front. But ammo in same compartment as rifle would not end well.

That's pretty cool. Vudoo's box/ case is obnoxiously large. These last two solutions are more manageable. Mine fits in my gunbox or cargo pocket. Perfect for a match. 100rds for 10 stages, 20-30 rds for zero and 20-30rds for extra or after match plinking.

It was a pretty fun case to build, too. 😃

Reactions: reubenski
For what it’s worth, I can do inserts up to about 9” x 10” with custom layouts. And I have blank inserts drawn for the Pelican 1120 & 1200 also.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basher
I feel cheap. I take my CCI Standard Velocity out of the cardboard box and put 65 rounds (one match) in the CCI 100 round plastic box and have about a dozen on the shelf so I can throw a few in my pistol box.

Reactions: Anb618
Personally, it was much easier to load rounds with the box fully open. Not worry about tipping, rounds getting everywhere. Don't have to deal with multiple boxes to throw away. So just open my case laod up, close my case. I go through 80-100 rounds for a match. + zeroing / possible reshoots, etc. And then I've seen people get their loose center - x box mixed up .." was that your ammo?" when it's all just sitting on a bench.

First world problems I know :p But it was a $40 investment and I'll use it years.

How do you just dump 10 rounds out into your hand? Do you actually pick out 10 rounds individually from the Pelican box?
Looks to me like all the add'l handling would just damage the rounds more than just leaving them in the factory box, sliding it to 10 or 5 rounds and dumping it into your hand.....
But maybe I'm missing something, are you guys SCUBA diving or something before shooting?

So the question was asked above and no one has commented on it. Wondering the same thing. Is it that finicky or is it just easier to handle, label, etc. I never thought of keeping it that secure. Just always run it straight out of the box in the plastic trays.

"Is the precision 22 ammo that finicky that it can’t move when stored?"

So the question was asked above and no one has commented on it. Wondering the same thing. Is it that finicky or is it just easier to handle, label, etc. I never thought of keeping it that secure. Just always run it straight out of the box in the plastic trays.

"Is the precision 22 ammo that finicky that it can’t move when stored?"

To answer the question; NO - precision .22 ammo is not that finicky that is can't move when stored.

Due to price, it is a good idea to take care when transporting to prevent the boxes from opening and dumping our having dirt / debris adhering to the wax lube.

Remember, it is packaged in the individual boxes, then into bricks then into a case onto a pallet and then bounced around on trucks, forklifts, pallet jacks and the like during it's life before it even gets dropped (sometimes literally) by UPS on your doorstep.

I never quite understand why so many people orient their rifles in the case with the sights/optics towards the bottom. If the case is dropped and the rifle moves - and they DO move even w/ cut out foam - the sights take the brunt of the force. Also, keeping the bolt in the rifle was another item to avoid when traveling.

Again, its a situation of to each their own, but having flown extensively for many years to competitions, you really get to know the details and best methods of keeping equipment safe.

Just an "observation for consideration".

Reactions: brianf
I bought some bulk stuff and as I own 50 acres I'll just be wanting to grab and run some ammo. I cant legally store ammo in the the hard case with the rifle (australia) or loaded mags.

Look. I used to do that 15 years ago. When you sandwich a heavy rifle in between two pieces of foam it will slide in the case as you mention. But cases don't just get dropped handle up. I've laid them out both ways and after a couple of years....Frankly, I don't really give a shit about this topic. I tried to be polite before hoping you wouldn't bring it up again. I am completely uninterested.

Reubenski:
Have a nice day sir.

To All:
My apologies for hijacking the thread and going off topic. Was just trying to provide insight to others to avoid a potentially costly error.

Best Regards to All:
Ken

I have a bunch of Pelican 1020 cases, some of which I already use to store three boxes straight up with SK/Lapua ammo, so I picked up a couple of those AGS Precision inserts: https://www.ocabj.net/ags-precision-22lr-pelican-insert/

I think they're kind of cool. I usually just bring my .22LR ammo to the range in a 30cal ammo can since most paper bricks fit (SK, Wolf) in that. But whenever I just bring a small amount of ammo (e.g. for a match), the Pelican micros are a nice sealed method.

Reactions: jeronimo