How to train for ELR?

Harwood

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2018
I am an aspiring ELR shooter, have been to a couple of matches, and am looking for some advice on how to train.

I have a reasonable gear setup (Cadex 375 CT/NF and Charlie Tarac/Kestrel/AB) and am fairly comfortable with the equipment side of the house.

What I am trying to put together is how to optimize my training time. I like to have fairly focused time on the range when I work on a couple of things in each session, and have set aside time offrange for other stuff like dryfire, or wind call practice.

I have access to a 200y range any time and can usually get on a 600m+ range about once a month.

So my question is: What exercises should I be doing off range, on the 200y and on the 600m+ in order to make the most of my time when I actually do get on a 1000m+ range?

With a follow-on: Is there any professional training I should be sure to get into?
(I am Canadian, which can be a complication in some cases, but I have already found some great training up here.)

For me, and it's only my opinion, but must of the ELR game is reading the Wind correcly. At 600y and less with a 375CT you don't even have to make correction must of the time.

2 things I do myself.
Train with a smaller caliber (22lr up to 400y for example, or creedmoor family up to 1km) and learn from there. Must important, take time to read the conditions, make your correction et be sure every shot count.

Keep your 375CT for the long shot. Also, train with your spotter, spotting the shot and calling Wind is a lot of his job.

Where in Canada are you? And what training have you attended up in Canada thus far?

For 200 yard training (and a bit beyond), shooting with a .22lr would be excellent training. A .22 at 300-500 yards is essentially ELR - you are pushing the limits of that cartridge much like you would be a .375 at 2500+ yards. You're not going to get much out of shooting a .375 at 200-600 yards

I would consider getting a Vudoo rifle built in .22lr and placed in a Cadex chassis, with the same scope as your .375. You can get a sunshade Charlie Tarac so you can use your Tarac on the .22lr (or if your Tarac is NV mounted, that would be even easier).

Alternatively you can get a PCP airgun to shoot at your 200 yard range. Shooting my .22 PCP airgun at 272 yards was quite challenging, you really need to be on your wind game. Bonus is that ammo is super cheap.

Your gonna need to learn wind.
That’s gonna be tough shooting a 375 that laughs at wind at 600.
Shoot a 22lr or 223 with a quality 55 grain bullet at 600 yards but even that isn’t the same as calling multiple winds a a mile plus.

Reactions: DIBBS and wildcats
Thanks Everyone!

I spend a lot of time on the 200y with my 22. It is a Shilen Barreled, Jard triggered, Frankenstocked 77/22 with the same scope as my primary rifles. It does feel a bit different (bolt throw from 22 to 375 is hilarious) but Eley Force and Lapua Center X both run sub-MOA.

A Vudoo is on the list, but more practice ammo seemed like a better use of the cash. Do you think that was mistake?

For most of my 200y+ shooting I run either a 308 or a 260 Rem; again same triggers and glass as the 375. Some military ranges around here require a 308. I shot the 308 at DCRA NSCC last year, and 900m wind with a 308 on Connaught was both fun and challenging.

@kthomas:
I'm in Ontario: and have spent a fair amount of time at MilCun. I've taken a number of other clinics/one-day classes as available and paid for 1:1 coaching with a few folks. As I said...just getting started.

The obvious Canadian courses I need to arrange are the Callsign 66 Wind course, and RFMA; other side of the country but airplanes still work.

If they have F Class matches near you try a few. Even if your rifle doesn't meet the rules most of the time they will let you shoot. This is how I got into shooting F Class competitively. High Master at mid-range and Master at long range. It has improved my wind reading ability significantly. Agree with what posted above regarding the shooting the 375 at short ranges that it is a waste of time. Only shoot mine at shorter distance while doing load development. Shooting rim fire at 100+ is great practice as well.

Thanks Everyone!

I spend a lot of time on the 200y with my 22. It is a Shilen Barreled, Jard triggered, Frankenstocked 77/22 with the same scope as my primary rifles. It does feel a bit different (bolt throw from 22 to 375 is hilarious) but Eley Force and Lapua Center X both run sub-MOA.

A Vudoo is on the list, but more practice ammo seemed like a better use of the cash. Do you think that was mistake?

For most of my 200y+ shooting I run either a 308 or a 260 Rem; again same triggers and glass as the 375. Some military ranges around here require a 308. I shot the 308 at DCRA NSCC last year, and 900m wind with a 308 on Connaught was both fun and challenging.

@kthomas:
I'm in Ontario: and have spent a fair amount of time at MilCun. I've taken a number of other clinics/one-day classes as available and paid for 1:1 coaching with a few folks. As I said...just getting started.

The obvious Canadian courses I need to arrange are the Callsign 66 Wind course, and RFMA; other side of the country but airplanes still work.

We got good news in Canada for 2020!
One ELR match in Valcartier (Québec) and one ELR in Alberta. I'll be there at Valcartier with a little 338 but hey, 2 year ago we got third place with a 6 creedmoor against bigger bore!

We got good news in Canada for 2020!
One ELR match in Valcartier (Québec) and one ELR in Alberta. I'll be there at Valcartier with a little 338 but hey, 2 year ago we got third place with a 6 creedmoor against bigger bore!
Yes indeed!!
Already signed up for August: It will be my 3rd ELR at Valcartier. I may have a conflict for the Ko2MCanada...but if at all possible I will be there.

And watching you ding the 2km with the 6mm that first year was worth the price of admission. :)

Thanks Everyone!

@kthomas:

If you are willing to travel to AB I can put you in touch with Applied Ballistics ELR team shooter that would probably be more then willing to do some private ELR training with you. C/S 66 is also good, but I haven't heard a lot of impressive things about RFMA. I don't know if C/S 66 does much for ELR yet.

Shoot me a private message if you are interested in the above offer.

If they have F Class matches near you try a few. Even if your rifle doesn't meet the rules most of the time they will let you shoot. This is how I got into shooting F Class competitively. High Master at mid-range and Master at long range. It has improved my wind reading ability significantly. Agree with what posted above regarding the shooting the 375 at short ranges that it is a waste of time. Only shoot mine at shorter distance while doing load development. Shooting rim fire at 100+ is great practice as well.
There is an F Class group a few hours from my place, and as long as I pop the Heathen off my 260, it qualifies for F-Open, though my scope is less than ideal for that style of match it should suffice.

When the season starts I'm going to head up for some of their practice sessions. I'm thinking I might learn something about loading there too.

There is an F Class group a few hours from my place, and as long as I pop the Heathen off my 260, it qualifies for F-Open, though my scope is less than ideal for that style of match it should suffice.

When the season starts I'm going to head up for some of their practice sessions. I'm thinking I might learn something about loading there too.
Go find a nice mile spot and shoot your 260 there.
I learned a ton about wind shooting my 260 a bit over a mile numerous times last year with all the cost of375 loads.