HOWA 1500 Barreled Action

PearlWhiteGT

Private
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2011
Corpus Christi, Texas
I'm looking at picking up one of the HOWA 1500 Barreled Actions from Brownell's in 308. Rifle will be used for hunting deer and hogs. I can't decide on which barrel length to go with. It's between the 16.25" or 20". Will be running a Diligent Defense Enticer S on it and not shooting past 400 yards. Would appreciate of advice on these barreled actions and barrel length. Thanks.

I'm from Corpus too. Around here, we don't shoot deer or hogs past 250 ish maybe 300 yards. If that's your case as well (400 also works), no need to go with the 20. I'd strictly do the 16" and use the can with it. Also, just curious, why 308? They also have a 6.5cm in the same length.

**edit to add**

I own 3 howa actions, they are great shooters and well built actions. You can't go wrong with them.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

Reactions: xsn10s
I'm from Corpus too. Around here, we don't shoot deer or hogs past 250 ish maybe 300 yards. If that's your case as well (400 also works), no need to go with the 20. I'd strictly do the 16" and use the can with it. Also, just curious, why 308? They also have a 6.5cm in the same length.

**edit to add**

I own 3 howa actions, they are great shooters and well built actions. You can't go wrong with them.

Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
I have plenty of 308 ammo. And to be honest I don't know anything about 6.5cm. I'm not opposed to trying something new.

I have plenty of 308 ammo. And to be honest I don't know anything about 6.5cm. I'm not opposed to trying something new.
Oh gotcha.
Well if you have plenty 308, that's the answer then. I only mentioned creedmoor because even at 16 inches, you can use it for fun shooting steel out to maybe 800 yards and just enjoy some steel target plinking. The creedmoor also kills deer pretty good.

I picked up a Howa Superlite from Brownells in 7-08 20" barrel. But a shorty would be better with a can when shots will be 400 yards or less. I got one of the blem Stocky Stocks for it too. KRG Bravos weight around 3 lbs. My Stocky's Carbon fiber blem is 1lb 5 oz. I have a Bravo on my 260 AI. But for this Howa I wanted to keep it light, very light.

Reactions: PearlWhiteGT
Oh gotcha.
Well if you have plenty 308, that's the answer then. I only mentioned creedmoor because even at 16 inches, you can use it for fun shooting steel out to maybe 800 yards and just enjoy some steel target plinking. The creedmoor also kills deer pretty good.
How well will a 30 cal can work on 6.5cm? Now you got me thinking of trying it out. If it will take down South Texas whitetail deer as good as 308 does then I'm interested.

How well will a 30 cal can work on 6.5cm? Now you got me thinking of trying it out. If it will take down South Texas whitetail deer as good as 308 does then I'm interested.

That's all I use. The only can I have is 30 cal and it goes on my 6.5 creedmoor really good. Never any issues and suppresses great. The 30 cal cans are very versatile and proven many here can back that up. I think most people run a 30 cal can on just about anything.

Mine goes on my grendels as well and even the 223.

Reactions: xsn10s
Thanks man. Now I’m debating between 308 and 6.5cm. Most of my shots are less than 200 yards. Not sure how well 6.5cm performs in that short of a range. I know it performs very well at long distance.
6.5 creed is, for all intents and purposes, directly comparable to a 260. A 260 is just a necked down 308.

243, 260, 7-08, 308

Creed falls right in with the 260 on the scale.

The benefit of the creed (or 260) is that its case volume is proportionally nice for the high mass bullet shape in its caliber where you get a nice bc performance at the top of the normally nice recoil levels.
To get the proportionally equivalent mass to volume ratio in a 30cal youll be looking a a magnum sized case pushing the 200+ grain bullets but that increased performance comes at the cost of recoil.

All that to say: any of them will be just fine for deer hunting and youre over thinking whitetails lol.

Reactions: Modoc
I promise you the creed is more than capable of killing south texas deer out to 400 even out of a short package like that.

200 will be no problem.

Since you have plenty of ammo for 308, I say 308 is the easy button. But if you like to get into other new things just for the heck of it lol, like I do, the 6.5 will he a great cartridge.

As an owner and lover of many a 308...do the 16" howa in 6.5 down the road. You won't regret it.

20240722_145453~2.jpg

It might help the OP and others for the owners of the 6.5 CM 16.5" barrel to post their loads or ballistics of their rifle. As for 308 Win 16.5" barrel owners post would help too. But you could also glean from Hodgdon's pistol 308 win loads. They you something like a 15" barrel for their data.